Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The ITV Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

ftakeith wrote: »

Sounds like they won't be replacing her either.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,833 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

No point, anybody new would be in there temporarily until the ITV takeover goes through.

icdg wrote: »
    No point, anybody new would be in there temporarily until the ITV takeover goes through.

Wonder if Micheal Wilson will remain at ITV Ireland or stay with UTV Radio?

I am guessing UTV Radio will simple be known as URadio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Rick_

Would it be allowed to be called URadio? Don't they have to change the name of U105 because of the U and people's connotations that it is a UTV brand? I thought ITV bought the rights to UTV and all their known aliases etc. which would include the name U105 etc.

Just the name "UTV" - nothing ever was announced about any "well known alias". Certainly I doubt it would be a term in the contact that they would have to rebrand every part of their business. The Plc must change its name though following completion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

Elmo wrote: »
    Sounds like they won't be replacing her either.

I wonder will Mary Curtis manage to get back into RTÉ after that fiasco which may not have been all her fault to be fair. Pat Kenny is probably also disgusted at the way certain things was allowed to happen at the channel too I suspect.

I wonder if ITV plc will surprise us all by doing what most of us doubt...
    Will ITV plc actually decide to make a real go of UTV Ireland and by doing it in a real meaningful way rather than just going through the motions and dumbing down the channel even more while gobbling up advertising revenue with little or no Irish indigenous material going forward into the long term after all existing contracts expire. I hope I am completely wrong but my mind says they will not invest much if anything at all into Irish programming and that they may ultimately sell UTV Ireland off in a few years time and make a nice profit on their investment!

If ITV want to sell UTV Ireland in the future they will need to improve its audience really if they sell UTV Ireland at the moment they are only really selling Coro St and emmers

Now they could always keep UTV Ireland's loan book and sell the channel, including an agreement the new owners continue to buy ITV Studio's slate of programmes

More likely they start selling ads on 2, be, 3 and 4

I don't think they will sell it in the future. Either it will be fully integrated into ITV Broadcasting - rights issues for the moment notwithstanding- or it will be closed and ITV will look for an arrangement (with TV3) similar to what they previously had. But they are not buying it to sell it. This is not some venture capitalist in the Doughty Hanson mould - television is ITV's business.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Personally I think that UTV NI will remain in place (for the time being) but ITV Ireland will replace UTVI.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

icdg wrote: »
    I don't think they will sell it in the future. Either it will be fully integrated into ITV Broadcasting - rights issues for the moment notwithstanding- or it will be closed and ITV will look for an arrangement (with TV3) similar to what they previously had. But they are not buying it to sell it. This is not some venture capitalist in the Doughty Hanson mould - television is ITV's business.

Looking at the primetime schedule this week, it does appear a lot more closely integrated into the ITV schedule i.e. Benidorm, Jericho all showing at the same time as the main network. The only difference outside primetime is at the 4pm to 6pm block with tipping point not being shown due to TV3 having the rights.

It does depend day to day on the schedule. There are sports heavy days it won't look a thing like ITV and there are drama/light entertainment days when it's indistinguishable from ITV. It really wants to be the sixteenth ITV region but rights are still a problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Looking at the primetime schedule this week, it does appear a lot more closely integrated into the ITV schedule i.e. Benidorm, Jericho all showing at the same time as the main network. The only difference outside primetime is at the 4pm to 6pm block with tipping point not being shown due to TV3 having the rights.

Next week during daytime on UTV Ireland is Hungry Sailors, No Taste Like Home and Peter Andre's 60 Minute Makeover, while UTV NI has Dickensons Real Deal, Tipping Point and lunch time news instead. So there is still a bit of a difference.
    Their daytime schedule is all over the place though, it seems to change every week. They've tried repeating the soaps there, then took them away. I'd say their daytime is really dragging down their overall daytime share.

iseegirls wrote: »
    Next week during daytime on UTV Ireland is Hungry Sailors, No Taste Like Home and Peter Andre's 60 Minute Makeover, while UTV NI has Dickensons Real Deal, Tipping Point and lunch time news instead. So there is still a bit of a difference.
    Their daytime schedule is all over the place though, it seems to change every week. They've tried repeating the soaps there, then took them away. I'd say their daytime is really dragging down their overall daytime share.

They need to focus on prime time, they just need one hour outside the soaps to peak above 100,000 adults, to get to 10%. TV3 also need to do this.

They didn't notice they repeated the soaps differently to TV3.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

They need to focus on prime time, they just need one hour outside the soaps to peak above 100,000 adults, to get to 10%. TV3 also need to do this.

They didn't notice they repeated the soaps differently to TV3.

UTV player on sky catch up, the content is still corrie and emmerdale only

Where is Mr Selfridge, Jericho, endeavor and others?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,976 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭political analyst

Why don't people on this forum who are discontent with UTV Ireland because of its failure to broadcast some ITV programmes, i.e. drama, documentaries, ITN bulletins, send e-mails to UTV Ireland to protest about it? One never knows what such pressure might lead to.

Why don't people on this forum who are discontent with UTV Ireland because of its failure to broadcast some ITV programmes, i.e. drama, documentaries, ITN bulletins, send e-mails to UTV Ireland to protest about it? One never knows what such pressure might lead to.

Largely speaking UTV Ireland have most of ITV's schedule this week with a few known exceptions. The ITV dramas aren't doing well bar midsomers which airs after the soaps

• Advertisement

I was hoping to see Unforgotten on UTV Ireland, maybe it's not an ITV Studios production!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Alternatively, why do they not get Freesat and get all of the ITV programmes and all of the +1s as well. They would also get all the BBCs and all the Ch4s and Ch5s. Then they would not need to watch UTVi at all for their dramas etc.

And all for free (apart from the initial outlay for the kit.)

zorro2566 wrote: »
    I was hoping to see Unforgotten on UTV Ireland, maybe it's not an ITV Studios production!

BBC Worldwide so it will be seen on RTÉ

Alternatively, why do they not get Freesat and get all of the ITV programmes and all of the +1s as well. They would also get all the BBCs and all the Ch4s and Ch5s. Then they would not need to watch UTVi at all for their dramas etc.

And all for free (apart from the initial outlay for the kit.)
    Not everyone can have a satellite dish, i.e. it may not be allowed by the landlord or because the residence is a listed building.

BBC Worldwide so it will be seen on RTÉ

...if RTÉ decides to buy it.

By the way, Unforgotten is available on DVD.

...if RTÉ decides to buy it.

By the way, Unforgotten is available on DVD.

True, UTV Ireland have basically 2 products 1. ITV Studios and 2. Their handful of home produced shows, it's unlikely that they will approach BBC Worldwide for rights which would mean giving RTÉ first refusal on such shows.

E.g. TV3 had EastEnders from 1998 to 2001 because RTÉ had no interest in the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 alan 1968

UTV Ireland have launched their player on sky.Just after seeing it now don't when it appeared.Great addition

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

alan 1968 wrote: »
    UTV Ireland have launched their player on sky.Just after seeing it now don't when it appeared.Great addition

its there for 4 weeks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Pat Kenny signed up to do the TV3 leaders debate this Thursday with Collette Fitzpatrick.

No chance of him doing anything with UTV Ireland so, after months of silence since his talk show was axed.

• Advertisement

iseegirls wrote: »
    Pat Kenny signed up to do the TV3 leaders debate this Thursday with Collette Fitzpatrick.

No chance of him doing anything with UTV Ireland so, after months of silence since his talk show was axed.

Is collette the token woman? 2 presenters 20 politician!

Advertisement