Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The ITV Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Elmo wrote: »
    Is collette the token woman? 2 presenters 20 politician!

Are you questioning Joan Burtons sexuality? :p

In seriousness, Collette does seem to handle these well ( I think she did it 4 years ago, maybe wrong ) Still surprised she doesn't have a Claire byrne style show for her on TV3, or why midweek was axed.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,833 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/media-and-marketing/utv-s-sale-of-television-business-to-close-by-the-end-of-february-1.2540952

Sale to ITV should close within next week, all remaining consents have been obtained.

It'll be interesting to see how long things change on screen, i.e. branding and programme schedules!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭iseegirls

zorro2566 wrote: »
    It'll be interesting to see how long things change on screen, i.e. branding and programme schedules!

Doubt much of the schedule will change at all. It's all dictated surrounding ITV's schedule during the weekday at least. Weekends are awful on the channel though and it's the one area it struggles most with. That could do with a revamp. But I guess it's all about what ITV Studios have in terms of entertainment coming up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,357 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

It's been a very disappointing 13 months for UTV plc but for the viewers too.

To this day the only thing I've ever watched on it was the first series of Outnumbered which I'd never seen. Ironically a BBC production, and quite a bit old!

Clearly I'm not a soap fan - but the other half just watches them on BBC and 'proper' ITV on Freesat anyway.

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

To this day the only thing I've ever watched on it was the first series of Outnumbered which I'd never seen. Ironically a BBC production, and quite a bit old!

This is the problem that UTV Ireland had. They should not have named the channel UTV or ITV or branded in such a manor. They should have launched as TV5.

The second problem was not making sure the audience knew what UTV Ireland was, Outnumbered is a BBC programme that is distributed by ITV Studios, and ITV Studios have a number of BBC programmes, and UTV bought those programmes. This is important because certain ITV programmes are have other distributors such as BBC Worldwide, which RTÉ hold the rights to so an ITV programme like Scott & Bailey will end up on RTÉ!

While other ITV programmes are with other distributors that TV3 hold the rights to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭Jack Killian

This is the problem that UTV Ireland had. They should not have named the channel UTV or ITV or branded in such a manor. They should have launched as TV5.

The second problem was not making sure the audience knew what UTV Ireland was, Outnumbered is a BBC programme that is distributed by ITV Studios, and ITV Studios have a number of BBC programmes, and UTV bought those programmes. This is important because certain ITV programmes are have other distributors such as BBC Worldwide, which RTÉ hold the rights to so an ITV programme like Scott & Bailey will end up on RTÉ!

While other ITV programmes are with other distributors that TV3 hold the rights to.

I think their biggest problem was that they showed SFA worthwhile! Between the worst of the ITV crap (and in fairness TV3 is as bad in that regard) plus no proper Irish content at all, and the horrendous decision to show "Good Morning Britain", the whole thing stank of "ah shure the dumb Paddies with take our leftovers with a half-assed effort".

It was the equivalent of Sky News "Ireland" with the benefit of Saorview.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭MarkK

should have launched as TV5.
    Sky116
    Virgin Media110
    Saorview6
    eir Vision108

So why TV5 ?

MarkK wrote: »
    Sky116
    Virgin Media110
    Saorview6
    eir Vision108

So why TV5 ?

5th channel 6 had already been taken. TVA or TVE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,357 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

ITV Studios have a number of BBC programmes, and UTV bought those programmes. This is important because certain ITV programmes are have other distributors such as BBC Worldwide, which RTÉ hold the rights to so an ITV programme like Scott & Bailey will end up on RTÉ!

So some ITV programmes are distributed outside of the UK by ITV Studios, some by BBC Worldwide and some by others. What a mess! You'd think that since almost all of ITV was consolidated into one company a good while ago now, they'd have assigned the non-UK rights to the programmes they make/commission to a single entity.

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement

So some ITV programmes are distributed outside of the UK by ITV Studios, some by BBC Worldwide and some by others. What a mess! You'd think that since almost all of ITV was consolidated into one company a good while ago now, they'd have assigned the non-UK rights to the programmes they make/commission to a single entity.

Each independent company have deals with different distributors. ITV studios itself produces programmes for other UK broadcasters, eg Graham Norton.

ITV now plan to commission all programmes for the UK and Ireland, in effect RoI becomes a region, I expect The Voice UK to air on ITV Ireland in 2017.

5th channel 6 had already been taken. TVA or TVE.

Channel 6 was called that because Setanta has channel 5 on cable.

When UTV Ireland was launched, 3e had already taken the 5th slot on Saorview and Sky, while Setanta had it on Cable.

Channel 6 was called that because Setanta has channel 5 on cable.

When UTV Ireland was launched, 3e had already taken the 5th slot on Saorview and Sky, while Setanta had it on Cable.

C6 was about to get a licence from OfCom, they couldn't be channel 5.
    Well then channel 10, but only if the took the 10 spot across the EPGs. Anything but UTV in the name.

I wonder will we get Itv 2,3,4 and Encore on the Sky epg here once the takeover is complete!

It was always going to be UTV Ireland - they were never throwing away 45 years of brand awareness to start afresh.

As I keep saying, the views of those who wanted UTVi to be the 16th ITV region and those wanted it to be a completely separate channel are impossible to reconcile.

C6 was about to get a licence from OfCom, they couldn't be channel 5.
    Well then channel 10, but only if the took the 10 spot across the EPGs. Anything but UTV in the name.

Different country, so has no bearing on it.

icdg wrote: »
    It was always going to be UTV Ireland - they were never throwing away 45 years of brand awareness to start afresh.

Not sure re the 45 years; maybe 20 or so ?

Better than damaging it irreparably, no ?

As I keep saying, the views of those who wanted UTVi to be the 16th ITV region and those wanted it to be a completely separate channel are impossible to reconcile.
    Truth be told, it was simply impossible for it to be the 16th ITV region with exactly the same programming as the other 15.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Each independent company have deals with different distributors. ITV studios itself produces programmes for other UK broadcasters, eg Graham Norton.

ITV now plan to commission all programmes for the UK and Ireland, in effect RoI becomes a region, I expect The Voice UK to air on ITV Ireland in 2017.

Rte have the rights to the voice in Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Charles Slane

Absolutely! As evidenced by the disappointment that Good Morning Britain was not being shown at first, and then the outrage when it was. They couldn't win.

• Advertisement

Absolutely! As evidenced by the disappointment that Good Morning Britain was not being shown at first, and then the outrage when it was. They couldn't win.

There was "outrage" ? Where ?

I remember some mumbles due to the full UTV not being available, thereby inconveniencing whatever GMB fans there were, but I never remember anyone objecting to it not being shown on the new channel.

Is GMB shown in NI ? Just curious, considering that isn't in Britain ?

Yes, but they don't have a choice about it - ITV owns the airtime between 06:00-9:25, it's a separate franchise.

There was "outrage" ? Where ?
    On this thread for one:
    Just lodged a formal complaint with UTV Ireland and the BAI about them broadcasting GMB... this is outrageous!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,308 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Is GMB shown in NI ? Just curious, considering that isn't in Britain ?

This isn't the place for political point scoring.

Nor the place for backseat moderation

The UTV name wasn't a major pull by 2015 it's audience share was dipping below 3%. UTV Ireland has a 6% share purely down to its broadcast of Coro St and Emmerdale.

Let's face it 3e had a 5% share when it broadcast I'm a celeb ... I doubt it's brand did anything for I'm a celeb ... Audience.

The UTV brand only confused the audience. BTW on GMB on UTV remember ITV hold the licence for morning TV on ITV across the UK, STV and UTV do not broadcast during those hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,518 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Rte have the rights to the voice in Ireland

I think you've confused your wording a little bit here.

RTE show The Voice of Ireland that is hosted by Kathryn Thomas, Eoghan Mc Dermott and a completely different set of Irish Judges namely Bressie, Kian Egan, Rachel Stevens and Una Foden.

You're mixing it up with the UK version that is going from the BBC to ITV very soon.

On this thread for one:

My bad. I should have said "disappointment where".

I know there was disappointment that some people didn't have UTV anymore, but I doubt that anyone expected a foreign "Good Morning" show on an Irish channel ?

Dodge wrote: »
    This isn't the place for political point scoring.

Not point-scoring at all; just stating facts.

• Advertisement

My bad. I should have said "disappointment where".
    I don't see how that changes anything
    I know there was disappointment that some people didn't have UTV anymore, but I doubt that anyone expected a foreign "Good Morning" show on an Irish channel ?
    So if UTV Ireland had started 10 years ago and had shown GMTV and then Daybreak, they would have thought it was entirely reasonable them to stop showing the ITV breakfast programme when it was renamed "Good Morning Britain"?

Advertisement