Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The ITV Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

MarkK wrote: »

So if UTV Ireland had started 10 years ago and had shown GMTV and then Daybreak, they would have thought it was entirely reasonable them to stop showing the ITV breakfast programme when it was renamed "Good Morning Britain"?

UTV have nothing to do with any of the above programmes GMTV was a separate channel licence by OfCom. Let's move on from GMB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Before they showed GMB, they had a few weeks of repeats of Loose Women and Home Shopping. It's not as if they replacing anything important.

They could have however placed better programming there at the start. They have the whole ITV Studios catalogue to choose from! Even the programming after 11pm is awful. Jeremy Kyle US every night. Could they not place any of the big dramas that ITV have - even some classics like Bad Girls, London Burning, Cold Feet etc...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭MarkK

Elmo wrote: »
    UTV have nothing to do with any of the above programmes GMTV was a separate channel licence by OfCom.

I was not talking about UTV (NI) I was talking about UTV Ireland.

MarkK wrote: »
    I was not talking about UTV (NI) I was talking about UTV Ireland.

I know and I am just pointing out that the former owners of both NI and RoI did not own the licence for Morning TV in NI so technically the title GMB is apt. UTV Ireland got the rights to GMB only because it is produced by ITV. TV3 broadcast BGT.

It's a morning show UTV won't even produce Daytime TV they are prob making a small profit on Daytime, their losses are mainly with News.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭political analyst

According to the Sunday Times Culture TV guide, there will be half-hour Ireland Live election specials next Saturday at 5:30, 8:30 and 11:00.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

I think you've confused your wording a little bit here.

RTE show The Voice of Ireland that is hosted by Kathryn Thomas, Eoghan Mc Dermott and a completely different set of Irish Judges namely Bressie, Kian Egan, Rachel Stevens and Una Foden.

You're mixing it up with the UK version that is going from the BBC to ITV very soon.

No I don't think I am. I don't believe rte will allow itv to broadcast the voice UK in Ireland as it owns the rights to the show in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭ads20101

No I don't think I am. I don't believe rte will allow itv to broadcast the voice UK in Ireland as it owns the rights to the show in Ireland.

Yes, rte may have a case here but the 2 shows are regionally different. I'm not convinced that they'll be able to stop itv from broadcasting the voice here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭iseegirls

The Voice isn't doing too well on BBC at the moment anyway - down about a million average from last year. I think ITV are wasting money on it next year.

I doubt many from Ireland watch The Voice currently on BBC, so I wouldn't say it would even do well if it was on UTV Ireland, and they might be better off showing dramas or other light entertainment.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,833 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

All depends on what is in the contact between RTE and Endemol TBH.

icdg wrote: »
    All depends on what is in the contact between RTE and Endemol TBH.

A report today suggests that RTÉ may drop the voice in favour of Ireland's Got Talent.

Also Shinawil hold the rights to produce the show in Ireland, RTÉ commission the show AFAIK they are not involved in the rights to the format, depending on the contract with RTÉ Shinawil could move it to another broadcaster.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭Jack Killian

ads20101 wrote: »
    Yes, rte may have a case here but the 2 shows are regionally different. I'm not convinced that they'll be able to stop itv from broadcasting the voice here.

Countryally different even. An important fact given that UTV/ITV don't seem to realise the distinction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭Delta2113

I wish they would show Tonight hosted by Julie Etchingham.

I wonder would sending an e-mail to UTV Ireland to complain about its failure to broadcast non-ITV Studios content make a difference.

I wonder would sending an e-mail to UTV Ireland to complain about its failure to broadcast non-ITV Studios content make a difference.

If it is with another distributor their hands are tied until they begin to own rights for RoI follow re-negotiation of distribution deals.

I image that UTV Ireland could start showing ITV national news either late nights and/or using international news stories from ITV news on Ireland Live.

Tonight could be re-edited to suit an Irish audience, ala 20/20 on TV3 many years ago.

I'm sure they are well aware of the issue. If they have long term designs to keep UTV Ireland operating they will not be long changing their terms and conditions so that all commissions for the ITV network include UTV Ireland too. That would take a few years to filter through though, they wouldn't be able to affect anything already in the can or ordered.

As for ITN, the issue there is that the Irish news service is the cornerstone of why they have their PSB designation and hence their a carriage on Saorview. That's why I think it far more likely that ITN correspondents would appear on Ireland Live for international stories then ITV News bulletins appear on UTV Ireland. An issue here is that ITN is not a wholly owned subsidiary of ITV and a separate deal would have to be done.

As for ITN, the issue there is that the Irish news service is the cornerstone of why they have their PSB designation and hence their a carriage on Saorview. That's why I think it far more likely that ITN correspondents would appear on Ireland Live for international stories then ITV News bulletins appear on UTV Ireland. An issue here is that ITN is not a wholly owned subsidiary of ITV and a separate deal would have to be done.

Another problem is that UTV Ireland doesn't bother with news at weekends or at Christmas.

Well they didn't waste time. Seemingly a new UTV NI logo is in the works, with the "TV" replaced with the lowercase ITV style "tv" but otherwise looking remarkably like the UTV Ireland logo!

Well they didn't waste time. Seemingly a new UTV NI logo is in the works, with the "TV" replaced with the lowercase ITV style "tv" but otherwise looking remarkably like the UTV Ireland logo!

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/utv-unveils-new-logo-following-itv-takeover-34569160.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Rick_

And here it is.

Not sure about the colour.

UTV%20Blue%201.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,799 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Will the DOG be shrunk to the ITV size too?

• Advertisement

Good question, though the UTV NI DOG is a bit smaller than the UTV Ireland one (still not as small as that of ITV, which is one of the smallest in town).

UTV NI's new logo revealed. To be rolled out in the coming months.

http://www.a516digital.com/2016/03/utv-reveals-new-look-as-part-of-itv.html

UTV.png

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭formerly scottish paddy

The re-brand has started, and it's not even a month passed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,799 ✭✭✭lertsnim

The current on screen branding is horrible so the sooner the better. I think they only said the name would stay which looks to be the case. For now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 902 ✭✭✭twinklerunner

UTV NI's new logo revealed. To be rolled out in the coming months.
    ]

I presume that UTV Ireland will be amended similarly?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,949 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

didnt expect the new logo so soon, anything is better than what they have right now. From the looks of the new logo its a hybrid utv/itv logo which looks like it's aim is to ease people into the transition from utv to a full blown itv reband later on.

No announcement yet, but the logo is clearly "inspired" by that of UTV Ireland - in fact it arguably takes more from the UTV Ireland logo than it does of ITV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

No announcement yet, but the logo is clearly "inspired" by that of UTV Ireland - in fact it arguably takes more from the UTV Ireland logo than it does of ITV.

More on the new logo here

http://www.a516digital.com/2016/03/utv-reveals-new-look-as-part-of-itv.html

Strange that UTV Ireland has been included in the announcement I wonder if they will just rebrand UTV Ireland as ITV?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

I like the new logo.

Advertisement