Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The ITV Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,799 ✭✭✭lertsnim

pad e wrote: »
    Wonder how RTÉ feel about them trying to get Irish acts to appear on the British version of the show and not their native version!

RTÉ have cancelled it. No more after this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭keps

lertsnim wrote: »

Ah - that explains it then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

there had been rumours but nothing concrete. they still may renew the show.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,942 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Elmo wrote: »
    there had been rumours but nothing concrete. they still may renew the show.

With ITV's ownership of UTV and likely their increased presence in the Irish TV market, I expect we will see RTE increasingly move away from shows that are connected with ITV (either directly or indirectly).

RTE will know that in the long term they can't compete with ITV for the Irish rights to UK shows * and they won't want to promote shows in the short to medium term that end up back on UTV in the long run. It would simply strengthen ITV/UTV.

I suspect you will see even more involvement between RTE and the BBC and hopefully more quality Irish made content from RTE.

* Companies selling shows to ITV for the UK market will be simply told that they have to include Irish rights too or no sale. Just like C4 does now. It will likely take a few years for rights to all shows to return to ITV, but they eventually will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

keps wrote: »
    I am just surprised that the show runners of the British franchise are allowed to come into the jurisdiction of another franchise holder to attract talent from the same small pool.

Do acts from NI appear on the Irish version?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭keps

Richard wrote: »

I was talking about where the auditions take place

Yes, and no I amn't getting into this but both RTÉ and TG4 provide their service to the north as part of their public remit and the Good Friday Agreement, they do not go looking for acts in Britain.

I wonder if we will see ITVs 2,3 & 4 on the Irish Sky epg at some stage now that the ITV takeover is complete. I'm sure that ITV would like their full family of channels available to areas that serve ITV!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

zorro2566 wrote: »
    I wonder if we will see ITVs 2,3 & 4 on the Irish Sky epg at some stage now that the ITV takeover is complete. I'm sure that ITV would like their full family of channels available to areas that serve ITV!
    How much does it cost to get on the EPG ? I can't see many of the advertisers paying more.

Like Channel 5's line up you can already get all these channels on Freesat or FTA or old Sky box without the card or faffing about with "other channels" on SKY. Between ITV and C5 that's about 20 channels if you include the +1's.

The only way to block those channels is to pay SKY or Virgin to do so.

I imagine that sky pays some channels from the UK to be on their Irish EPG. Certainly BBC WW charge sky for the channels. channel 5 have never been interested and they aren't consider the part of the trad UK channels to many in Ireland.

ITV could use their suite of channels to increase their Irish income with opt outs. Advertisers will just move some of their advertising budget money over to those channels.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,834 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

They do, going back all the way to the agreement to carry BBC One and Two NI. At the time the BBC was still FTV rather than FTA.

An interesting part of ITV's current terms and conditions for commissioning on the ITV Network is that ITV buy cable - but only cable - rights to their programmes in Ireland, France, Holland, Belgium and Switzerland. The agreement only applies to the ITV Network and Channel 3 licencees and wouldn't include UTV Ireland obviously but it's interesting nonetheless in that it may explain the presence of ITV channels on Virgin Media but not Sky.

icdg wrote: »
    They do, going back all the way to the agreement to carry BBC One and Two NI. At the time the BBC was still FTV rather than FTA.

An interesting part of ITV's current terms and conditions for commissioning on the ITV Network is that ITV buy cable - but only cable - rights to their programmes in Ireland, France, Holland, Belgium and Switzerland. The agreement only applies to the ITV Network and Channel 3 licencees and wouldn't include UTV Ireland obviously but it's interesting nonetheless in that it may explain the presence of ITV channels on Virgin Media but not Sky.

You'd wonder why they don't just do an opt-out for Virgin Customers for BGT :)

icdg wrote: »

I wonder whether that means UTV NI may reappear on cable. Or some hybrid version with ROI ads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭political analyst

I wonder whether that means UTV NI may reappear on cable. Or some hybrid version with ROI ads.

I doubt it, considering the UTV Ireland is on Saorview, which means that it has to have news from an Irish perspective, which is a PSB obligation.

Yeah, the current T&Cs are a good few years old and predate UTV Ireland's existence. Interesting that they even put them up on the open internet. I personally doubt that even if ITV announced that UTV Ireland was shutting up shop tomorrow that UTV NI will ever be back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭Jack Killian

keps wrote: »
    I was talking about where the auditions take place

"Britain's Got Talent" auditioned in Limerick earlier this year (ironically proving that it mustn't have! :D)

I doubt it, considering the UTV Ireland is on Saorview, which means that it has to have news from an Irish perspective, which is a PSB obligation.

UTV could always state that part of its public service is to provide access to UTV Live to as wide an audience as possible. Nothing stopping them ditching Ireland Live. The Public Service requirement is very loose for ITV. As it has a different licence to TV3.

Back in the day, why didn't UTV Media (now Wireless Group) put UTV NI on the Sky RoI EPG with programmes to which it didn't have the RoI rights blacked out, which is what Channel 4 did in order to be on the RoI EPG?

Elmo wrote: »
    UTV could always state that part of its public service is to provide access to UTV Live to as wide an audience as possible. Nothing stopping them ditching Ireland Live. The Public Service requirement is very loose for ITV. As it has a different licence to TV3.

UTV Live reports on some events in the Republic but from a Northern Ireland perspective.

I tweeted Michael Wilson about Itvs 2,3 & 4. He said that the focus for the time being is on Utv Ireland and that there is Itv2 content coming soon to Utv Ireland.

• Advertisement

Saw them advertising TOWIE (or one of those "reality" shows) was coming soon this evening. Shows like that will hardly boost ratings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Saw them advertising TOWIE (or one of those "reality" shows) was coming soon this evening. Shows like that will hardly boost ratings.

They do need to fill up their schedule after 11pm. Having shows from ITV2 would help this gap. They're repeating Loose Women at midnight every weekday now - awful scheduling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

Yeah lol - I saw the promo advert...UTV Ireland are just so late jumping on the whole TOWIE bandwagon - those viewers who enjoy this type of reality show would probably have watched most if not all of that material elsewhere on other UK channels long ago. These days there cannot be too many households in Ireland unable to watch tv from UK unless they refuse to buy satellite dish or connect to cable if they live in an urban area served by a cable tv operator.

I guess many years ago (like 25+years) this would have been regarded as a great addition for a certain target market but nowadays I wonder if this makes commercial sense given the access we have all had to UK TV for many years especially since BBC and other UK main terrestrial networks went FREE-TO-AIR on digital satellite in the noughties. It's like watching old editions of a show still running on other networks and viewable to most on other networks via multiple methods.

You can still do that with a full ITV schedule and Irish news in the "regional" news story slots. Maybe without the ITN-produced ITV News.

The UK ITV News will never be the main news here.

No, they are committed to the Irish news service as long as they are committed to Saorview (though I wouldn't rule out some sort of ITN input into that in the future).

The UK ITV News will never be the main news here.

No, but the issues are around rights to non ITV-Plc programmes which will come in time.

Yes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭iseegirls

No, but the issues are around rights to non ITV-Plc programmes which will come in time.

And the small few sports rights that ITV own too. They won't be able to match the Six nations that they have,and same for the euros and world cup months plus the rugby w.c. too, unless they go all out and grab the rights for them. Although I'd say RTE and TV3 would prob rather team up - then instead let them take most of them rights in the future.

And most of the films they show. Would prob only cause a main concern around Christmas time. Would all depend on when the film deals last for TV3, TG4 and RTE.

• Advertisement

The main candidate for ITV to secure on the sporting front would be the England football friendly rights, which have no broadcaster here.

Advertisement