Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

The ITV Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

icdg wrote: »
    The main candidate for ITV to secure on the sporting front would be the England football friendly rights, which have no broadcaster here.
    I thought Setanta had these rights no? (certainly remember a while back they having them with Martin Tyler on commentary on the world feed)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,834 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

No, they did have them before all right but that contract is over a good few years now. They did take the England v France game a few months back but as a one-off (and yes Martin Tyler was the commentator that night).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Delta2113

It would have been nice to have Peston on Sunday shown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭political analyst

Delta2113 wrote: »
    It would have been nice to have Peston on Sunday shown.
    You can see it here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ThdtE9rHsE

Thanks for that - just finished watching part's of the show from another source. If Utv Ireland have the rights - show it otherwise sell up and the new owners can remove all associations with Itv, Itn etc.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that - just finished watching part's of the show from another source. If Utv Ireland have the rights - show it otherwise sell up and the new owners can remove all associations with Itv, Itn etc.
    UTV Ireland was sold along with UTV NI to ITV plc earlier this year.

By the way, I think it was absurd of UTV Ireland to broadcast Text Santa - given that viewers in the Republic couldn't make phone or text donations to charities featured on it.

The fact-based ITV drama "The Secret, which is also on UTV Ireland, is great. One benefit of UTV Ireland is that there is a version of the UTV Player for the Republic on which the first episode is still available for 20 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

surprised they have not renewed Daniel and Majella(picked up by RTE). It was one of their biggest success stories of 2015 outside soaps...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

surprised they have not renewed Daniel and Majella(picked up by RTE). It was one of their biggest success stories of 2015 outside soaps...
    Very, very strange! ...

ITV must have pulled the plug on any homegrown content outside of the news.

irishfeen wrote: »
    Very, very strange! ...

From The Irish Times

UTV Ireland had hoped to do a second series of the show, in which singer Daniel O’Donnell and his wife Majella O’Donnell experience the “unique hospitality” of a series of Irish bed and breakfasts.
    However, as the channel was going a transition phase in the wake of its acquisition by ITV, it was unable to commit to making the series in time to suit the couple’s availability to film this June.

• Advertisement

zorro2566 wrote: »
    From The Irish Times

UTV Ireland had hoped to do a second series of the show, in which singer Daniel O’Donnell and his wife Majella O’Donnell experience the “unique hospitality” of a series of Irish bed and breakfasts.
    However, as the channel was going a transition phase in the wake of its acquisition by ITV, it was unable to commit to making the series in time to suit the couple’s availability to film this June.

sounds like they will just transition to more or less an Irish opt-out of the ITV schedule and have a few programs like rare breed but nothing else..

I asked Michael Wilson the following on Twitter...

Any chance of some films late at night, I'm a bit of a night owl and some of the movies on ITV4 at night are great!

May 8
    Michael Wilson
    Let's see. Some changes to late pm coming in the summer. M

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭formerly scottish paddy

irishfeen wrote: »

To be expected, it will just follow the ITV schedule apart from news.

I'm aware of UTV Ireland's PSB responsibility, i.e. news from an Irish perspective.

So why doesn't UTV Ireland have an hour-long news programme at 6, which would probably draw viewers away from RTÉ because of the Angelus?

Then, surely, it could simulcast ITV News at Ten (I wonder would ITV plc be willing to do a deal with ITN to have ITN-produced programmes at least available on a cut-down version of the ITV Hub for the Republic) and then have a UTV Live Tonight-style programme at 10:30. After all, Channel 4's on-demand service, All 4 is available in the Republic (and I'm aware that Channel 4 isn't on Saorview).

Is it an issue worth sending an e-mail to UTV Ireland or ITV plc about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,308 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

So why doesn't UTV Ireland have an hour-long news programme at 6, which would probably draw viewers away from RTÉ because of the Angelus?

Seriously, you think the Angelus being on RTE would make people leave RTE news? :D:D

Tried twice, once by TV3 in its early days (when it ran an hour long TV3 News@6) and again by UTV Ireland when it launched (in the form of a half-hour Ireland Live at 6:30). Nothing beats Six One in its time slot, and it's foolish of any broadcaster to even try.

My feeling is that in time, if ITV do decide to run UTV Ireland for the long run (and we'll see how that is going to play out over the next year or so) is that we'll see Ireland Live form part of the "ITV News Group" and news bulletins which continue to be produced in Dublin and read by Irish newsreaders but featuring ITN correspondents and reports for international stories.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

UTV, TV3 and RTE2 have become very insignificant over the last few years. Each have fail to try anything new in areas where they have control. UTV Ireland certain has the issue of Simucast of its parent company but it failed to try out anything new in relation to schedule outside the main soaps.

You'd think that the new ITV dramas would be suitable if not perfect repeat programmes for the 11pm slot or the 1pm slot or daytime weekend slots or even repeats during weekend shows they do not have rights to.

UTV Ireland/ITV basically think that simulcasting Coro St and Emmers is enough. There has been little change to the channel since it was taken over by ITV. I can't see much more change other than it becoming more like ITV proper. And TBH I think that will result in lower audiences for Coro St and Emmers. You'd think ITV would want to protect its most valuable products.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,799 ✭✭✭lertsnim

If ITV are serious then they will need to be in HD on all platforms. Using myself as an example I will always watch the HD broadcast of something on ITV HD before the soft fuzzy UTV Ireland on Saorview. Surely I am not the only one.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Dodge wrote: »
    Seriously, you think the Angelus being on RTE would make people leave RTE news? :D:D
    What a lot of people do is flick over during the Angelus to catch the other headlines , then back to RTE for their headlines and then stay there unless RTE aren't covering what you want.

- RTE can throw taxpayers money at the owners of Daniel and Majella unlike Utv Ireland or TV3.

• Advertisement

- RTE can throw taxpayers money at the owners of Daniel and Majella unlike Utv Ireland or TV3.

Sounds to me like UTV Ireland dropped the show and the indo producers approached RTÉ in the same way the same indo producers approached TV3 to produce The Restaurant.

Also UTV Ireland and TV3 are part of 2 major media companies, neither can claim to be poor.

ITV and Virgin Media have no money? I'm afraid that excuse won't wash anymore.

They don't have taxpayers money.

All licence fee discussion is for the sticky. Thanks

We may not get Itvs 2,3,4 and Encore here, on Sky, but maybe UTV Ireland will have the best from all those channels in their schedule. There are changes to the night time schedule coming over the summer, according to Michael Wilson!

TV3 got a huge debt write off actually

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,840 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

lertsnim wrote: »
    TV3 got a huge debt write off actually

HUGE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭I wear socks

I hope utv Ireland starts showing Murder she wrote nightly

Both channels have access to Sound and Vision Funding. Virgin Media have massive revenues from Pay TV, Broadband and Phone. If either wanted to commission Dan&Mag's B&B they could.

VM have 350m in annual revenues in Ireland alone
    While ITV have 1.52billion from ITV studios alone

Both own PSB broadcasters in Ireland, both have the ability to invest something more into program making.

• Advertisement

Not looking good for any investment really going forward in original programming judging by this decision. I doubt they will even bother to pay for sports rights that would cost them a fortune.

Advertisement