Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

The ITV Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Not looking good for any investment really going forward in original programming judging by this decision. I doubt they will even bother to pay for sports rights that would cost them a fortune.

Just looks like they are going to keep going the way they are - hoovering up the advertising money from the soaps. If they had ambitions of passing TV3 to No.2 - programmes that were successful on the channel like Daniel's B&B show need to have been kept. Instead there'll be repeats of Gino's Italian Escape.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,840 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

It is very bad that they have been unable to overtake TV3.

When will Tv3 lose the rights to Britains Got Talent, X Factor and I'm a Celeb? I presume UTV /ITV Ireland will start showing them after Tv3.

zorro2566 wrote: »
    When will Tv3 lose the rights to Britains Got Talent, X Factor and I'm a Celeb? I presume UTV /ITV Ireland will start showing them after Tv3.

This was released in the end of 2013:
    http://www.independent.ie/business/media/tv3-does-threeyear-deal-to-keep-shows-from-new-utv-rival-29790258.html

Unsure of when the 3 year deal started, but I presume they'd need to renegotiate over the coming months - and hope that a higher bid does some damage.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,834 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

They have already lost I'm a Celebrity (which is made by ITV) to UTV Ireland.

• Advertisement

iseegirls wrote: »
    This was released in the end of 2013:
    http://www.independent.ie/business/media/tv3-does-threeyear-deal-to-keep-shows-from-new-utv-rival-29790258.html

Unsure of when the 3 year deal started, but I presume they'd need to renegotiate over the coming months - and hope that a higher bid does some damage.

Sounds like it started in 2014,so thats 2014,2015 and 2016 covering three years! So this could be the last year on Tv3 or maybe next year.ITV would probably want these shows broadcast on UTV/ITV Ireland eventually!

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭lgs 4

Watch it on ITV in HD, If TV3 and UTV Ireland where serious about broadcasting in Ireland they would be in HD on Saorview not Sky.

lgs 4 wrote: »
    Watch it on ITV in HD, If TV3 and UTV Ireland where series about broadcasting in Ireland they would be in HD on Saorview not Sky

I watch it on Sky,dont have saorview! Hopefully those shows will transfer to UTV/ITV Ireland soon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Just wait until people try to watch Euro 2016 on UTV ireland.....presumably RTE or TV3 will have all the ITV games.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭lgs 4

I watch it on Sky,dont have saorview! Hopefully those shows will transfer to UTV/ITV Ireland soon!
    I am Saorview and Freesat HD. Total up what you're paying Sky for the year.

• Advertisement

lgs 4 wrote: »
    I am Saorview and Freesat HD. Total up what you're paying Sky for the year.

I watch a lot of shows off the Sky channels,Hawaii Five O,Game Of Thrones,Blue Bloods,Banshee,11.22.63 and The Blacklist which are not available on freesat!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Xfactor was renewed in Nov 2013 until 2016. The renewal will not take place until after the end of xfactor 2016. I assume that ITV will then hold the rights for The Voice UK, BGT and Xfactor for Irish audiences.

Elmo wrote: »
    Xfactor was renewed in Nov 2013 until 2016. The renewal will not take place until after the end of xfactor 2016. I assume that ITV will then hold the rights for The Voice UK, BGT and Xfactor for Irish audiences.

Thats what I think as well!

UTV NI's player will be no more as of 6th June, with viewers in NI getting access to the ITV Hub instead.

icdg wrote: »
    UTV NI's player will be no more as of 6th June, with viewers in NI getting access to the ITV Hub instead.

It's hard to figure out what ITV are planning with UTV Ireland. Are they selling it or planning to re-sell ITV Studio's content to another Irish broadcaster.

UTV gets a news ITVesq logo and the ITV Hub, while UTV Ireland remains as is.

It will be interesting to see if ITV insist on their TV shows being commissioned for Ireland. Will Fremantle continue to provide rights to XFactor and BGT to the Irish Market?

Thats what I think as well!

From what I can gather the rights to Xfactor and BGT where sold in Nov 2013 to TV3 to cover 14, 15 and 16. This date matches with the announcement that ITV had re-commissioned those shows. As UTV only planned to launch in 15 it wouldn't have made sense for them to buy those shows for 14.

Though the question remains as to weather or not ITV will allow Endemol to continue to sell those rights into the Irish market. That won't be known until Nov.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭political analyst

From what I can gather the rights to Xfactor and BGT where sold in Nov 2013 to TV3 to cover 14, 15 and 16. This date matches with the announcement that ITV had re-commissioned those shows. As UTV only planned to launch in 15 it wouldn't have made sense for them to buy those shows for 14.

Though the question remains as to weather or not ITV will allow Endemol to continue to sell those rights into the Irish market. That won't be known until Nov.
    Surely, once TV3's deal runs out, ITV can buy the Republic rights as well as the UK rights to The X Factor and BGT.

Surely, once TV3's deal runs out, ITV can buy the Republic rights as well as the UK rights to The X Factor and BGT.

They could, if they want to? but ....UTV Ireland has been very slow to take on any other rights outside the ITV Studios.

Say more accurately ITV Network rather than ITV Studios, they have where they could purchased other programming but obviously the Syco stuff attracts a premium. Still, ITV ultimately bankroll the programme and could make Republic of Ireland rights a condition of any renewal.

They could, if they want to? but ....UTV Ireland has been very slow to take on any other rights outside the ITV Studios.
    But ITV plc owns UTV Ireland and thus, presumably, will make the decision.

• Advertisement

It looks like the entire UTV NI website will go from 6th June. Nothing happening with the ROI service though.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,949 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

It looks like the entire UTV NI website will go from 6th June. Nothing happening with the ROI service though.

With the player and website going from 6th June I'd imagine the re-branding will kick in on UTV NI itself as well leaving unfortunately just UTV Ireland with the horrible, amateur looking utv website, player and tv idents. I would have thought they could have re-branded it to ITV Ireland here as the utv name doesn't mean nearly as much here compared to the north.

Gonzo wrote: »
    With the player and website going from 6th June I'd imagine the re-branding will kick in on UTV NI itself as well leaving unfortunately just UTV Ireland with the horrible, amateur looking utv website, player and tv idents. I would have thought they could have re-branded it to ITV Ireland here as the utv name doesn't mean nearly as much here compared to the north.

I have exchanged tweets with Michael Wilson recently so I will ask him about plans for UTV Ireland.He already told me that the late night schedule is changing during the summer months,possibly adding content from ITV2,3 and 4.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,949 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I have exchanged tweets with Michael Wilson recently so I will ask him about plans for UTV Ireland.He already told me that the late night schedule is changing during the summer months,possibly adding content from ITV2,3 and 4.

that's very much a confirmation that those channels may never be available in Ireland, at least not for a few years, all very disappointing. Hopefully they are working towards full UK and Ireland rights for everything over the next few years and having all their channels and hub here eventually.

They are available in Ireland, on cable and Freesat. Granted the cable version of ITV4 is a blank screen much of the time. It'd be nice for them to be on the Sky EPG though.

I'd fear the longer that we don't see any changes the more it looks like ITV's plan is sale or closure. However I can also understand why they won't rush to rebrand UTV Ireland, given the September 2015 rebrand which wasn't part of the original plans. UTV NI's destiney is quite clearly to be ITV NI, but UTV Ireland's hasn't yet been decided, I think.

Gonzo wrote: »
    that's very much a confirmation that those channels may never be available in Ireland, at least not for a few years, all very disappointing. Hopefully they are working towards full UK and Ireland rights for everything over the next few years and having all their channels and hub here eventually.

It could mean that they don't plan to put them on Saorview, but that the late night schedule will be similar to BBC 1 and 2 before ASO/DSO BBC4 on BBC2 we will see ITV2 on ITV Ireland.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I wonder will that also mean the end of the u.tv domain? I'd say it's not a cheap domain name, though probably peanuts to a big company like ITV.

Eventually, but not immediately I'd imagine. They'll likely keep it as a redirect for a while.

They're showing Love Island starting from Monday at 9pm on UTV Ireland. Normally goes on for about 8 weeks. Unsure this would so their 9pm ratings any good. It wasn't even that much of a hit last year on ITV2. Surprised it was even renewed.

• Advertisement

It's interesting to see that UTV Live on the new UTV section of the ITV News website is not geo-blocked.

http://www.itv.com/news/utv/2016-05-24/catch-up-with-the-latest-editions-of-utv-live-and-utv-live-tonight/

Advertisement