Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

The ITV Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

It's interesting to see that UTV Live on the new UTV section of the ITV News website is not geo-blocked.

http://www.itv.com/news/utv/2016-05-24/catch-up-with-the-latest-editions-of-utv-live-and-utv-live-tonight/

I wonder if they even have the facility to geo-block video on the ITV News site. Most regions don't have full versions of their news bulletins afaik, only individual reports. The other exception is Channel, as they had full bulletins on their site before ITV took them over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭political analyst

Richard wrote: »
    I wonder if they even have the facility to geo-block video on the ITV News site. Most regions don't have full versions of their news bulletins afaik, only individual reports. The other exception is Channel, as they had full bulletins on their site before ITV took them over.
    The ITV Hub is geo-blocked.

Given that ITV News is commercially-funded, there is no licence fee involved and thus no need to geo-block news reports that don't have rights issues.
    After all, reports on the NBC News website are not geo-blocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭lgs 4

The ITV Hub is geo-blocked.

Given that ITV News is commercially-funded, there is no licence fee involved and thus no need to geo-block news reports that don't have rights issues.
    After all, reports on the NBC News website are not geo-blocked.

Did you put in a UK postal code

lgs 4 wrote: »
    Did you put in a UK postal code
    There's no need for a postal code to watch reports on the ITV News website.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Rick_

From tomorrow, the news service will transfer over to www.itv.com/utv as will any UTV programming to www.itv.com/utvprogrammes

UTV Player will close overnight and any catchup content for any ITV channel will be available at www.itv.com

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,834 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Only true for U.tv (UTV Northern Ireland)

UTV.ie (UTV Ireland) is unaffected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 902 ✭✭✭twinklerunner

The weekend schedule on UTV Ireland is terrible IMHO.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,949 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

The weekend schedule on UTV Ireland is terrible IMHO.

The whole channel is terrible, ITV need to take acton with it soon, either improve it and make it more in line with proper ITV or sell it off to some broadcaster that will turn it into something totally different.

Gonzo wrote: »
    The whole channel is terrible, ITV need to take acton with it soon, either improve it and make it more in line with proper ITV or sell it off to some broadcaster that will turn it into something totally different.

Who would ITV sell it to?

Even if TV3 wanted to buy UTV Ireland, I don't believe that Comreg would let it happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Who would ITV sell it to?

Even if TV3 wanted to buy UTV Ireland, I don't believe that Comreg would let it happen.

CPCC, ComReg and BAI would all allow it to be bought, they based both buyouts on 2014 data, 2015 would show that TV3 and UTV Ireland would only have 16% of the audience.

• Advertisement

I don't think there'd be any competition concerns, the question would really be whether TV3 would buy the company lock stock and barrel if they knew no one else was in the market for it. Would it not be better to wait ITV out, have them close the channel (if we do believe they are going down the sale or closure route) and then approach ITV about resuming the programme supply arrangement?

Think about it. TV3's main interest is the ITV Studios programming. Thats all they want. They don't want to be taking on any of UTV's assets or liabilities. Better to let ITV deal with the fall out from closing the channel, if that's what's going to happen.

TV3 won't be running a third general entertainment channel aimed at the same demographic as its main channel, and certainly not a second news service right up against its own.

And don't expect UTV NI to return to Virgin Media in such a scenario either, given who now owns TV3.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

I doubt we will ever know the commercial arrangement but IF ITV owns the programming and UTVIRL then they are saving 10milion a year in costs simply by owning those ITV Studios programs. So no need to sell it as its technically not going to be loss making if that's the case.

I doubt we will ever know the commercial arrangement but IF ITV owns the programming and UTVIRL then they are saving 10milion a year in costs simply by owning those ITV Studios programs. So no need to sell it as its technically not going to be loss making if that's the case.

Would they make more by selling the content rather than advertising?

I wish that the channel carried ITV's programmes, not the current mish-mash.

It is no longer a commercial arrangement of course, it is now ITV paying themselves, or "internal supply" as they call it. They seem to account for it as a discount from revenue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,518 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

This response came from Michael Wilson to someone on Twitter earlier tonight.

https://twitter.com/MW_UTV/status/739823314852556800?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

But not UTV Ireland, no plans for a change as it was was only rebranded last September and UTV NI hasn't had a new look for 12 years. Michael Wilson told me this via Twitter message!

Just as regards the silence at UTV Ireland, seemingly the Business Post ran a two page spread on it back in April. I didn't see it at the time (and its behind a paywall so can only see the summary) but seemingly ITV are looking at what to do about the station, but closure appears to be off the menu for now.

http://www.businesspost.ie/utv-ireland-has-hopes-of-a-new-beginning/

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Last night UTV Ireland showed Let Me In, quite possibly the first time they've shown something that I thought was better than was on UTV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Good beatles documentary just on there.

saw this though.

Where Are They Now: UTV Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭lgs 4

Guys this topic is going nowhere if people want good programming let C4 or Canal + run UTV Ireland

Guys this topic is going nowhere if people want good programming let C4 or Canal + run UTV Ireland

Is that a general statement on all ITV programming.

Or we could just watch C4 programming on C4?

Yeah, like that's gonna happen (!)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,949 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Canal+ will never enter the Irish market, were far too small, they'll probably never enter UK either. Very dissapointing to see nothings changed with UTV Ireland and not even an announcement to future plans by ITV.

They are first and foremost a pay-TV company; and will only enter this market to do one thing - buy Sky. Which isn't going to happen anytime soon, though I'll never see never as it would have some good strategic value to it in setting up a pan-European DBS operation. There are other, non business related complications when it comes to these two companies that might prevent it.

They'll never have anything to do with UTV Ireland though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

a dire station, that is trying to make money off the back of 2 soaps, no sports, movies, nothing.........a complete joke of a station.......

It may be a mistake given past form, but UTV Ireland are, according to the Sky EPG, carrying the ITN News Special for the Brexit referendum on Friday morning.

ziggyman17 wrote: »
    a dire station, that is trying to make money off the back of 2 soaps, no sports, movies, nothing.........a complete joke of a station.......

+1. Will it be around in 5 years time? Will TV3 be around in 5 years time? Will one take over the other I wonder? At the minute UTV Ire seems to be the weaker entity and can't go on as it is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭Jack Killian

icdg wrote: »
    It may be a mistake given past form, but UTV Ireland are, according to the Sky EPG, carrying the ITN News Special for the Brexit referendum on Friday morning.

Crazy!

A programme that views it from an Irish perspective would be worthwhile, but this crap will just reinforce the vibe that they're a foreign station masquerading as Irish.

Not that TV3 is too far behind in that regard mind!

Advertisement