Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

The ITV Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Delta2113

Crazy?- totally disagree. The more Utv Ireland resembles Utv (Northern Ireland) the better.

I would like all news and current affairs back including local news if they so wish.

ITV2 - Euro 2016: England V Slovakia June 20th - showing on Virgin Media at the moment. I wonder will it be blocked?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,834 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Delta2113 wrote: »
    Crazy?- totally disagree. The more Utv Ireland resembles Utv (Northern Ireland) the better.

I would like all news and current affairs back including local news if they so wish.

Worth nothing that although the Sky EPG still lists it, I have seen a couple of other sources that have an episode of Jeremy Kyle (presumably a repeat) scheduled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭SPDUB

icdg wrote: »
    Worth nothing that although the Sky EPG still lists it, I have seen a couple of other sources that have an episode of Jeremy Kyle (presumably a repeat) scheduled.

The Saorview EPG lists it as well

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

UTV Ireland website lists jeremy for Friday morning and no Brexit News Special.

• Advertisement

RTE News used a short clip from Peston on Sunday on it's news this evening courtesy of Itv - pity Utv Ireland wouldn't show the entire show every week courtesy of Itv.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,799 ✭✭✭lertsnim

RTE News used a short clip from Peston on Sunday on it's news this evening courtesy of Itv - pity Utv Ireland wouldn't show the entire show every week courtesy of Itv.

Why would they air a weekly show about UK politics?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭political analyst

How did the mistake with regard to the listing for this Friday morning on UTV Ireland take place, i.e. the ITV News referendum special?

You can watch some interviews from Peston on Sunday here.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwYOW2tHcjRBTw6PLbsNSYA/videos

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

lertsnim wrote: »

Yeah its a bit strange considering its only a new political programme that never aired on UTV/ITV previously. However since UTV Ireland has little in terms of programming I doubt such a show would dent their audience, it won't increase their audience but it certainly won't decrease it either.

UTV Ireland has plenty of late night space for ITV News and ITV2 which they should use. They should start to promote other ITV channels also, their seems to be an issue advertising "pay TV" on a Free network.

Of course RTE could air Preston on RTE News Now along with other European news programmes.
    How did the mistake with regard to the listing for this Friday morning on UTV Ireland take place, i.e. the ITV News referendum special?

I am surprised that someone in the UTV Ireland newsroom hasn't insisted on the ITV ref debates.

• Advertisement

It has happened a couple of times now. I suspect that whoever prepares the schedules starts with the ITV Network schedule as a base. Just speculation on my part given that it appears to be a recurring thing.

It is still listed in the Sky EPG, incidentally, so if it is a mistake they are taking their time correcting it, but every other source I've checked says Jeremy Kyle. As I say I didn't think they had access to ITN programming so I was surprised when it appeared.

lertsnim wrote: »

- Why not? i suppose you would like CNN to remove Wolf etc?

- I suppose CNBC should stop showing NBC Nightly News.

The more choice we have the better.

The difference is that CNN International covers world news from an American perspective just like BBC World News covers it from a British perspective and France 24 covers it from a French perspective.

CNBC Europe covers business news from a European perspective and blacks out parts of or entire editions of NBC Nightly News because of rights issues.
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1634763

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

ITV2 - Euro 2016: England V Slovakia June 20th - showing on Virgin Media at the moment. I wonder will it be blocked?

It's on TV3HD anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

It's on TV3HD anyway.

TV3 HD? Tell saorview!

TV3 HD? Tell saorview!

Saorview? Tell TV3HD!

To be fair to the OP, if he's wondering about whether or not the game will be blocked on Virgin Media, he's not likely to have to worry about whether or not TV3 is HD or not on Saorview.

icdg wrote: »
    To be fair to the OP, if he's wondering about whether or not the game will be blocked on Virgin Media, he's not likely to have to worry about whether or not TV3 is HD or not on Saorview.

True but does Virgin Media provide a HD version of ITV2? I don't see why it should be blocked, did they block any of the BBC coverage?

It doesn't.

No, but they block all sports on ITV4. All of it.

Firstly all sport is not blocked on ITV4 e.g. New Zealand Darts on Virgin Media.

Tonight they have blocked ITV4 showing Wales game but they have not blocked ITV2.

I reckon they should be blocking ITV2 -maybe TV3 will ring them now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,799 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I'd rather if they did their own programme on Irish politics.

What has CNN or CNBC got to do with anything? They are international news channels. UTV Ireland is there for an Irish audience.

I don't understand this fixation with Utv Ireland must only cover Irish stuff and how dare they show ITN News for example.

We have enough Irish politics with RTE and TV3 -what we want -well what I want is Utv -the NI Utv as far as possible.

I want CNN America -not a european version - I want MSNBC - Fox News not that I'd watch it -alternative viewing -sorry here for going off topic but trying to make a point.

I don't understand this fixation with Utv Ireland must only cover Irish stuff and how dare they show ITN News for example.

We have enough Irish politics with RTE and TV3 -what we want -well what I want is Utv -the NI Utv as far as possible.

I want CNN America -not a european version - I want MSNBC - Fox News not that I'd watch it -alternative viewing -sorry here for going off topic but trying to make a point.

The lose of ITV is only really felt by a minority. UTV had just 3% share of the audience in 2014, it has increased this to 6%. As I have said the introduction of English political shows probably wouldn't hurt or help UTV Ireland.

IMO UTV Ireland should use ITV international News reports on Ireland Live.

Preston I am not so sure about as it is only a new political show that those who did watch UTV never had so really couldn't miss. but again UTV could place these show on late night or even on the UTV Player as an extra.

Elmo wrote: »
    The lose of ITV is only really felt by a minority. UTV had just 3% share of the audience in 2014, it has increased this to 6%. As I have said the introduction of English political shows probably wouldn't hurt or help UTV Ireland.
    What were the reasons for the drop in UTV's share of the audience before UTV Ireland started?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭iseegirls

What were the reasons for the drop in UTV's share of the audience before UTV Ireland started?

Probably more to do with TV3 also showing almost all of its most popular programmes at the same time.

iseegirls wrote: »
    Probably more to do with TV3 also showing almost all of its most popular programmes at the same time.

RTÉ, when it had the rights, showed Coronation Street at the same time as UTV but UTV still did well in the ratings in the Republic before TV3 came along. So why did TV3 make a difference?

Lack of availability (not on sky), drop in popularity of soaps, more choice and more and more Irish people viewed it as an extra channel rather than a mainstream channel.

RTÉ, when it had the rights, showed Coronation Street at the same time as UTV but UTV still did well in the ratings in the Republic before TV3 came along. So why did TV3 make a difference?

TV3 made little difference to UTV early on even up to 2004, both had 10% share

Firstly all sport is not blocked on ITV4 e.g. New Zealand Darts on Virgin Media.

That's a new one, when I had Virgin Media PDC darts was most certainly blocked (and sometimes ITV's coverage shown by Setanta instead).

Now, to steer back on topic, and add a twist in the tale, UTV Ireland schedules have now updated on both Sky EPG and website. Sky EPG showing that they are now carrying the ITN results show in its entirety. UTV website showing carrying 30 mins of ITN in back half hour of Ireland Live's usual slot then the news special on Friday morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭iseegirls

RTE only showed Coronation street at the same time. other programmes like Emmerdale were delayed.

I guess when TV3 started showing the soaps, it only showed Corrie, Emmerdale and Heartbeat. I think it was until the explosion of X Factor, BGT, I'm A Celebrity all being on TV3 helped with their share increasing. The X factor final which featured Mary Byrne was their all time record rating with 911,000 viewers until the RWC last October.

Got to remember that ITV is a lot different now than compared to the 90's and early 00's when London's Burning was getting big ratings, so too were the soaps, and dramas such as Peak Practice, Heartbeat, Bad Girls, The Bill etc...

Advertisement