Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lights flickering in a few rooms

Options
  • 10-11-2014 8:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭

Hi there,
    We have had a problem with lights flickering in the kitchen and utility.
    There are 2 large fittings with several bulbs each and a single bulb light in the utility.

It was a bit annoying before but has gotten very bad in the last few days. We can hear a noise from the fuse box (which is also in the utility).
    Lamps etc. plugged into nearby sockets seem to be fine.
    We're about to call an electrician, but I'm wondering if it might just be something simple like a fuse needing replacing.

I've also been doing some work in the attic overhead recently (insulation), not sure if that might be related in some way.

Any chance it could be dangerous? - should we keep those lights off until sorted?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭ravendude

Just to add, the problem seems to come and go also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Luckysasha

Sounds like a loose neutral. Chances are you stood or put pressure on the wire possibly pulling it loose from the neutral bar going from the fuseboard to the lighting circuit. My advice is to turn off these lights and don't use them until an electrician checks it out. Loose connections are the cause of a lot of electrical fires

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Par1

Luckysasha wrote: »
    Sounds like a loose neutral. Chances are you stood or put pressure on the wire possibly pulling it loose from the neutral bar going from the fuseboard to the lighting circuit. My advice is to turn off these lights and don't use them until an electrician checks it out. Loose connections are the cause of a lot of electrical fires

Some good advice there. It is very important to get it checked out ASAP as a noise from distribution board could be best case scenario (traffo/contactor operation) or worse case scenario (arcing).

Best of luck with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Luckysasha wrote: »

Loose connection is likely. Hard to specifically say its a neutral. It might be. But not certainly.

Advertisement