Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fasting a kitten before surgery

• 10-11-2014 9:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭

I will phone the vet about this tomorrow, but just wondered if there are any cat people on here that know about this...
    I have a 4 month old male kitten that was due to be neutered today. I took away his food at 9pm last night. This morning he was retching and vomiting up foam. I cancelled the surgery thinking he was ill. However after tucking into a good breakfast he's been completely fine since, and I think I just fasted him for too long - and it would have been much longer, surgery isn't until after lunch.
    Any idea of how long food takes to go through a kitten? If he had breakfast at 6am, that would give 8 hours before surgery. Long enough?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Capercaille

inocybe wrote: »
    I will phone the vet about this tomorrow, but just wondered if there are any cat people on here that know about this...
    I have a 4 month old male kitten that was due to be neutered today. I took away his food at 9pm last night. This morning he was retching and vomiting up foam. I cancelled the surgery thinking he was ill. However after tucking into a good breakfast he's been completely fine since, and I think I just fasted him for too long - and it would have been much longer, surgery isn't until after lunch.
    Any idea of how long food takes to go through a kitten? If he had breakfast at 6am, that would give 8 hours before surgery. Long enough?
    Ring your vet and ask him/her rather than asking random people on internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭inocybe

Ring your vet and ask him/her rather than asking random people on internet.

helpful thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Check with your vet. We had our foster kitten spayed at 4 months and she was fine being fasted. You need to be 100% certain that the kitten is well enough to have an anaesthetic.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭inocybe

ok, to clarify. I'm using a cheap vet - they're not bothered whether I fast or not. I have to do what I think is best which is why I'm asking random people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

inocybe wrote: »
    ok, to clarify. I'm using a cheap vet - they're not bothered whether I fast or not. I have to do what I think is best which is why I'm asking random people.

I'm not being sarcastic, but PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE find another vet. It doesn't matter how cheap the vet is, animals need to fast for a certain amount of time prior to surgery. It doesn't affect the vets fee if the animal is sedated or not. I would run a mile from any vet like the one you are suggesting. Really OP, check with any local rescues and enquire about cheaper fees but do not let this vet operate on your cat. Keep the kitten indoors and put a bit of money away bit by bit until you can pay for a better vet. The one you describe could very well kill your cat and obviously has no regard for animal welfare. Christ only knows what that vet is thinking.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

I would not feed an animal on the day of surgery. Most food is gone out of the tummy in 4ish hours, but not all, and not always.
    I'd be inclined to feed him at around midnight tonight with a good meal, and leave him at that.
    On that note, cheap job or not, I'd prefer for my vet to be concerned enough to give you an answer if you were to ask, and to be bothered that your pet is fasted. There's a reason for fasting!

Advertisement