Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Obligation to tell landlord of pregnancy??

Options
  • 10-11-2014 9:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hi all

I was wondering whether anyone could advise....

Do I need to (legally) tell my landlord that I am going to have a baby in 2 months?? I'm not hiding it (we just don't see the landlord usually!) but I presume that there wouldn't be grounds to end our lease??? We have been living here 2+ years

Many thanks in advance for any info on this!
    M

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

DOes your lease mention anything about the amount of people in the house/apartment or restrict it to adults only?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 miryan

Stheno wrote: »
    DOes your lease mention anything about the amount of people in the house/apartment or restrict it to adults only?

Hi Stheno
    No, neither is specified on the lease....
    M

• Registered Users Posts: 23,535 ✭✭✭✭ted1

miryan wrote: »
    Hi all

I was wondering whether anyone could advise....

Do I need to (legally) tell my landlord that I am going to have a baby in 2 months?? I'm not hiding it (we just don't see the landlord usually!) but I presume that there wouldn't be grounds to end our lease??? We have been living here 2+ years

Many thanks in advance for any info on this!
    M
    No why would you have to tell them?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Beaner1

Stheno wrote: »

Doesn't matter a toss of it does.

I had a lease that specified 2 people. I signed it with my wife 6 months pregnant. No landlord can ban somebody from having children.

Think about it. Someone gets pregnant and the landlord edicts them for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭garhjw

As stheno says, does it say anything in your lease about number of occupants? If it is a small apartment, landlord could be concerned. However, there isn't anything they can do. and any normAl person wouldn't try to evict you

Best of luck with the new addition

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

i rented out an apartment to a couple who ended up having twins. It was a one bed apartment. It wasnt suitable and we called it quits. Some times pregnancy does affect living arrangements.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Your lease almost certainly says have to tell them if you want another person, of any age, to move in.

Very unlikely they would refuse at this age, but issuesbmay come up later if you want to childproof the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭campingcarist

ted1 wrote: »
    No why would you have to tell them?

Would not clause (n) under the tenant's obligations of the Residential Tenancies Act 2004 apply once the baby has been born?

(n) notify in writing the landlord of the identity of each person
    (other than a multiple tenant) who, for the time being,
    resides ordinarily in the dwelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

Would not clause (n) under the tenant's obligations of the Residential Tenancies Act 2004 apply once the baby has been born?

(n) notify in writing the landlord of the identity of each person
    (other than a multiple tenant) who, for the time being,
    resides ordinarily in the dwelling.

I really doubt that clause applies to a new born baby.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

(n) notify in writing the landlord of the identity of each person (other than a multiple tenant) who, for the time being, resides ordinarily in the dwelling.
    Surely, in dealing with a family, one is dealing with a 'multiple tenant'?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Detached Retina

I've had 2 kids since moving into my apartment, once rent was paid no issues - landlord met first one, letting agent both. Just compared notes about their own kids and let me bin the knackered bed in second room and replace with bunks. Were fine. They'd probably freak out more if you got pets. Though pets wont destroy white upholstered kitchen chairs with markers/crayons. If anyone knows how to get that sh*t out pm me. Landlords, don't get anything white/cream.

Thanks for the feedback everyone, much appreciated. I might just give a courteous phone call to the landlord :) The place isn't very small so no real grounds to kick up any fuss at this stage, but I agree that further down the line when 'child proofing' the place all the little fixtures to add could be an issue for some landlords. Got to buy a gaff!! Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Invite landlord over to review something. Let them see you are 7 months pregnant. I'm not sure there is a need to 'announce' it then. :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Thanks for the feedback everyone, much appreciated. I might just give a courteous phone call to the landlord :) The place isn't very small so no real grounds to kick up any fuss at this stage, but I agree that further down the line when 'child proofing' the place all the little fixtures to add could be an issue for some landlords. Got to buy a gaff!! Thanks again

Dont baby proof without permission. Check the lease for provision to make alterations

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Yes, I got permission before installing a stair gate, etc. Only common courtesty really.

I doubt there would be a problem with it. I'm all about transparancy, I prefer to give people the heads up, rather than it be a surprise later.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Victor wrote: »
    Invite landlord over to review something. Let them see you are 7 months pregnant. I'm not sure there is a need to 'announce' it then. :)

Ahh, major wrong approach there for the landlord to be taking!

As a general life principle, never assume that a woman is pregnant based on looks alone, unless you can actually see the baby emerging from her body at that point.

I know several people who have given birth without even looking pregnant. And others who look fairly far baked, but aren't preggers at all and have not been so for a long time, if ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

Though pets wont destroy white upholstered kitchen chairs with markers/crayons. If anyone knows how to get that sh*t out pm me. Landlords, don't get anything white/cream.

baby wipes are your friend, they clean everything! ;)

i would let them know as a courtesy that is what we did and he gave us a months free rent to buy something nice for the baby!

also on the baby proofing not many fixtures need to be added, you can buy baby gates that work on the pressure rather than are screwed in, we had them for years and never had issues, also when they came down you'd never know they were there,

some cupboard locks can also be removed without a trace...etc

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭campingcarist

emeldc wrote: »
    I really doubt that clause applies to a new born baby.
    Victor wrote: »
    Surely, in dealing with a family, one is dealing with a 'multiple tenant'?

Thanks you both for the clarification.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭xxtippchickxx

We rent through a letting agent just know my landlords name nothing else,moved in last november didnt realise i was pregnant when i signed the lease got a call in april that some-one was looking to view the house as it is currently up for sale,said ok the auctioneer turned up with the people interested the following day and after they left he sat down and was congrats i never knew you where pregnant i didnt realise until i saw the cot and stuff in the spare room :pac::pac: he was even more shocked when i told him i only had 9weeks left :D they didnt have a problem i dont think as i got a lease for another 12months last week :P best of luck with your pregnacy and the new arrival enjoy them as time really does fly with them

Good idea Victor & Godtabh, will do!
    Cheers, M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Detached Retina

Yep, Ikea do the stair gates that you use the rubber screw pads to secure them, no drilling required - though can crack plaster if you get the pressure wrong so watch out for that. The boots & mothercare sticky locks, latch on really tight to nearly any surface, but don't leave a trace when they eventually come off.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Dont think this is an issue at all. Pay the rent thats all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

Jesus, me and my Mrs were renting years ago in a house.

When landlord found out we were having a baby he gave us a 400 euro voucher to get some stuff and said to do what ever we wanted to the house to make sure it was safe.

I must add, while living there I did loads of work to the place which added about 15K to the value of the house, so he was prob delighted with us!!!

allibastor wrote: »

When landlord found out we were having a baby he gave us a 400 euro voucher to get some stuff and said to do what ever we wanted to the house to make sure it was safe.

I must add, while living there I did loads of work to the place which added about 15K to the value of the house, so he was prob delighted with us!!!

What you thought was 15k improvement could infact be a 15k plus repair job. Last thing a LL wants is a DIY man gone mad. What exactly did you do ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭etoughguy

You were renting with Jesus? What was he like?

Sorry couldn't resist ;)

What did you do to add that value to the house out of curiosity?

What you thought was 15k improvement could infact be a 15k plus repair job. Last thing a LL wants is a DIY man gone mad. What exactly did you do ?

New flooring, carpets, New bathroom. All installed Professional like

New flooring, carpets, New bathroom. All installed Professional like

All installed by you or a professional ?

All installed by you or a professional ?

Professional. Like i said

Advertisement