Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scratchy post for cat with pododermatitis?

• 10-11-2014 11:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭

As it says in the title really. We have 9 scratching posts of various types and sizes, as well as vertical and horizontal ones. All of them get used by the 4 cats but Poppy has pododermatitis and because her pads are bigger than they should be her claws don't wear down. I'm very gently and she used to let me clip them with a human nail clippers, she hates the cat ones. Lately she won't let me do her claws and we'll have to get the vet to do them on Thursday when she gets her booster, which will totally freak her out.

I'm just wondering if anyone knows of any specific products aimed at cats with that problem or has any ideas on something we could rig up for her?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

What about a horizontal cardboard scratch pad? I'd imagine a vertical scratching post with sisal might be a problem with her tender paw pads?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

We have 3 or 4 horizontal cardboard ones. She uses them all and it doesn't seem to irritate her pads. Thankfully it doesn't seem to bother her much, other than when her claws get stuck in fabric. We thought the cardboard ones would be ideal since it's kind of honeycombed but it hasn't worked. She gets so freaked out when the vet does her nails. It makes it worse that she's terrified of being confined and it's a mad stressful struggle for her and for us to get her into a cat carrier, big or small.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭ferretone

I wonder if you could procure some sisal fabric, rather than rope, and try to design something to fix it onto, that would fit her needs better? I think the fabric would be nicer for her paws than the rope, but retains all the virtues of the material for wearing down claws, which I don't think the honeycomb cardboard stuff does. Perhaps if you made her a well-stuffed beanbag out of it or something, that might do the trick, as it could perfectly fit to the contour that she wants?

Edited to add: I think I just designed an awesome new product, actually :o Should I start a business and go on Dragons' Den, guys? :P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

ferretone wrote: »
    I wonder if you could procure some sisal fabric, rather than rope, and try to design something to fix it onto, that would fit her needs better? I think the fabric would be nicer for her paws than the rope, but retains all the virtues of the material for wearing down claws, which I don't think the honeycomb cardboard stuff does. Perhaps if you made her a well-stuffed beanbag out of it or something, that might do the trick, as it could perfectly fit to the contour that she wants?

Edited to add: I think I just designed an awesome new product, actually :o Should I start a business and go on Dragons' Den, guys? :P
    Sorry :(; to OP have you tried the mat or slightly titled like this?

Those are the only really two options coming to mind I'm afraid :(

Nody wrote: »
    Sorry :(; to OP have you tried the mat or slightly titled like this?

Those are the only really two options coming to mind I'm afraid :(

Yep, we've 1 of those. It's frustrating trying to find anything as everything is pretty much the same textures.

• Advertisement

Can you go back to square one with the nail clipping and very gradually work to desensitise her?

Look at Dr Sophia Yin's videos of toenail trims :)

I had to do similar with my dog Boo, who was really nervous about having her feet checked and having her mouth examined. All it took was a slowly-slowly approach, time and patience. We got there in about three weeks, working together for a few minutes each night. :) THe trick is to break down what you want (to clip the nails) into smaller segments and to get the dog or cat used to just the first part of the sequence before moving on to the next. So the first thing you would do is simply reward her for letting you touch her paws. And the best time to practice is in the evening, when she's in lazy mode in her cat bed. :) If she likes treats you are on to a sure-fire winner - my guys will work for just bits of their regular dry food!

boomerang wrote: »
    Can you go back to square one with the nail clipping and very gradually work to desensitise her?

Look at Dr Sophia Yin's videos of toenail trims :)

I had to do similar with my dog Boo, who was really nervous about having her feet checked and having her mouth examined. All it took was a slowly-slowly approach, time and patience. We got there in about three weeks, working together for a few minutes each night. :) THe trick is to break down what you want (to clip the nails) into smaller segments and to get the dog or cat used to just the first part of the sequence before moving on to the next. So the first thing you would do is simply reward her for letting you touch her paws. And the best time to practice is in the evening, when she's in lazy mode in her cat bed. :) If she likes treats you are on to a sure-fire winner - my guys will work for just bits of their regular dry food!

She's very wary of her paws being touched but I've been keeping the clippers by the side of our bed since she sleeps there a lot. She's a very bouncy excitable kind of cat so I just try and do a claw or 2 when she's drowsy enough to let me. Thankfully the condition doesn't seem to bother her, other than the claws being too long. She totally panics if we try to pick her up and if she sees us both approaching her at the same time she panics and makes a bolt for the cat flap.

We've no idea what her history is other than she was left behind at an apartment complex and has a stub of tail. She's a fabulous affectionate little cat and we had intended to rehome her when we trapped her last year, but as affectionate as she is she really isn't the kind of cat that most people would want since she doesn't like other cats and doesn't like to be handled. So she's stuck with us:D

You need to take a step back further than that, even. Put away the clippers. Just teach her to accept you touching her paws first, in exchange for treats. Then progress to putting pressure on to reveal the full extent of a claw. When she's happy with that, pretend-clip with the nail clippers before progressing on to actually clipping a single nail. And so on. It works if you put in the time and reward her richly.

Advertisement