Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

netflix

• 11-11-2014 12:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭

thinking of getting this through apple tv. is this the best way to get it? do other services - e.g. roku - work in ireland?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

I've been using Apple TV for around a year now, I love documentarys so I use my free to air sky now for basic channels, I browse what I'm missing on discovery, I then search for it on YouTube and 90 percent of time I find it and I save in a playlist in YouTube , I then go into youtube on Apple TV and watch away.

I,m sharing a netflix with my brother in law, we both use same login , and he's in London . I changed DNS on netflix so I can get is netflix because there's more on there. I have uk/Ireland netflix on I pad so I can mirror it through Apple TV if I find something only on uk/Irish netflix.

Because you can't get rte/tv3 on free view on sky once you cancel sub I go onto rte player or tv3 and I mirror it to Apple TV and watch away.

The kids love the kids stuff on netflix and you can get c beebies free anyway .

All in all were really happy.

Don't know anything about roku but will be watching thread fr some info .

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

First of all the mod note - there is no discussing circumventing regional restrictions by whatever means

OP the cheapest way to get it is through your laptop and a HDMI cable. The web interface is the most fully featured and the best for finding content (and on Netflix, you'll spend nearly as long looking for content as watching it!).

Next after this is Chromecast. It is dirt cheap for what it does - I picked one up in Curry's for €30. However I'd caution that the Netflix app for iOS has a habit of not working properly with chromecast - it's liable to lose the controls, for instance. I'm considering replacing it with Apple TV myself because of this. As you may know it differs from other devices because of its bare bones OS - you need a laptop or smartphone (either Android or iOS, but Android is better supported) to control it.

Apple TV - Ive never used one. It seems to be really one for iTunes users primarily. If you are an Apple user it may be the one you are after.

Roku - again I've never used it. From reviews it seems that the cheaper boxes are slow and you want the top model, but it is more expensive than Apple TV.

Really to be honest, while it falls under IPTV, Netflix is at the outer reaches of the remit of this forum. There may be other forums with a lot more experience in this matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,813 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Apple TV is incredibly basic and there's not a whole lot available for it apps wise. I wouldn't recommend it unless you already have Apple devices

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

An update to the Netflix iOS app seems to have resolved the issues I mentioned above with Chromecast.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 superchessfan

Good stuff :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

AppleTV is great if you have an iPhone/iPad/Mac as you can 'push' content to your TV or share your entire screen. Also good if you have your music/videos in an iTunes library or use iTunes Match.

Otherwise, other options might be better. I use Netflix on PS4 - mostly because it's 1080p and my AppleTV 2 only is 720p, but it's also faster at loading, better at jumping forwards & backwards in a programme etc.

Advertisement