Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free post to UK

Options
  • 11-11-2014 12:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭

Sorry if in the wrong forum.

I have a letter I need to post to UK it's for a special offer on their address it says FREEPOST with a 12 letter code after it. Do I need a stamp sending from Ireland I have a feeling An Post won't allow Freepost from here.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

miss choc wrote: »
    Sorry if in the wrong forum.

I have a letter I need to post to UK it's for a special offer on their address it says FREEPOST with a 12 letter code after it. Do I need a stamp sending from Ireland I have a feeling An Post won't allow Freepost from here.

Yes you need a stamp unless it specifies that postage is free from Ireland /Europe

• Registered Users Posts: 13,714 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

If you're near a border or plan a trip up North soon, take an envelope with you and post it from there.

Did so many times before. :)

Otherwise you need a stamp.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭miss choc

I emailed them and they said just use the Freepost address :confused: so emailed back for clarification I dont need a stamp will wait to hear back if I get two emails saying its ok and I dont get my offer I have names and email clarification for back up

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

A stamp for a letter to the UK is about a euro so why take the risk :)

They just replied there again and reconfirmed that there is no postage charge to UK no I not worried about paying just they have confirmed twice by email I don't so will take a chance have to wait 38 days for gift to arrive anyway :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,714 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

The best idea is to ask An Post themselves if they recognize aforementioned Freepost code. Even if recipient assures you a code is valid, your letter/parcel can be rejected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

if you dont put a stamp on it it wont get there. An Post dont receive anything for uk freepost, royal mail will get paid. If you're lucky they might send it back to you. most likely in the bin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

I would put money on it not getting there without a stamp.

For my own curiousity I rang GPO guy said yes have to pay kinda figured it so company gave me incorrect info twice!!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,377 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

For my own curiousity I rang GPO guy said yes have to pay kinda figured it so company gave me incorrect info twice!!

But how would an overseas company have any idea what An Post's rules would be regarding freepost to another jurisdiction :confused:

That was presumably someone just guessing at an answer, which happened to be the one you wanted to hear.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

It's only a stamp. A UK company would have no I idea of the postal regulations or agreements here, in fairness to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

There is "International freepost" and it is known as ‘International Business Reply Service’, ‘International Business Reply Mail’ or ‘Réponse Payée’.

If it just says "freepost" then postage is due if destination is outside Ireland.

Advertisement