Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repurpose room

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Lau2976 wrote: »
    Thanks for all the responses! We have an outstanding agreement that anything damaged by my work materials is repaired or replaced. He also has had no objection to be painting in other rooms. Just this one. I thought he may be trying to let out the other room in the bear future but it's just a guess. The reason I've stopped painting in the sitting room is because a new wall has been built which blocks a certain amount of light. I didn't think it woul be an issue as the wall is painted white and there is a generic black carpet.

He has also never had an objection to me working from home and I never allow buyers to view my work in my home. I mainly do abstract and anything else (portraits, landscape, etc) are done on site.

It's been eight months and there's a new wall being built in the place? You think he wants to rent out a room in your place? He can't if you're already paying the rent and have a lease. The room isn't his to rent out while you're still living there.

There's something funny going on, whether it's an amateur landlord who doesn't know the score, or the rental agreement is not standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Lau2976

Gatling wrote: »
    Op are you specifically renting a 2 bed or does your lease say otherwise

I believe it says 2 bedrooms. Before moving in I was not made aware that there would be no furniture in the second room if that helps at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

If the landlord has an issue with just that room then move the stuff and say 'no harm, no foul'.
    OP is paying rent for the entire apartment, so has reasonable entitlement to use all the rooms. There is a room that was apparently constructed as a bedroom, but has no bed in it. Is it reasonable to preclude OP from using that room?

By failing to furnish the room, the landlord has left the room without a particular purpose, so it is not being "repurposed".

[Concerns about possible paint damage can be dealt with separately. If a tenant damages a property, the tenant is liable for the cost of repairs.]

It's been eight months and there's a new wall being built in the place? You think he wants to rent out a room in your place? He can't if you're already paying the rent and have a lease. The room isn't his to rent out while you're still living there.

There's something funny going on, whether it's an amateur landlord who doesn't know the score, or the rental agreement is not standard.

That's good to know I was quite worried that was his plan. It wasn't built in the house but along the border where the garden connects. I know the LL agreed to it with the neighbour after my tennency began.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

OP, you sound like a quiet, peaceful person and I have no doubt that you look after the place and pay your rent on time.
    If you are all of the above and were renting from me I wouldn't give a sh1te what you were using the second bedroom for. Any damage you may cause would be dealt with from your deposit. IMO your landlord just sounds like an a***ole. I mean, what's he going to do? Issue an eviction notice for breach of the lease? LOL. We've all read the threads about tenants not paying rent and wrecking the joint and it still takes forever to get them out. You have nothing to worry about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Also, it's likely that the planning permission says that the property must have two bedrooms. I know that mine is like that - it had to be let as a 2br, even though we only regularly use one as a bedroom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

This makes no sense to me, as a landlord or as a tenant. Even if it was a bedroom, there's nothing to say you can't have an easel in a bedroom... is there?

I'd say you caught this guy on an off day, or he was making a weird joke, and there will be nothing more about it.

Thanks for the responses again. I tried talking to him last night but I'll I got in return was a grunt and him saying it was a breach of my lease. I asked him out straight of he wanted to take new tennants or if he was hoping to increase my rent and he said no. He said he's happy for me the stay and pay my rent but that I can't paint in that room. I'm completely confused now by his behaviour and can't understand his reasoning behind it. When I asked for an explanation all he said was that it was against our lease.

I've never been late with a payment and we've only ever had one issue which was resolved quickly. I just don't understand waft he wants from me. We have an agreement that I will pay for damage outside of my security deposit because of the nature of my work.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Thanks for the responses again. I tried talking to him last night but I'll I got in return was a grunt and him saying it was a breach of my lease. I asked him out straight of he wanted to take new tennants or if he was hoping to increase my rent and he said no. He said he's happy for me the stay and pay my rent but that I can't paint in that room. I'm completely confused now by his behaviour and can't understand his reasoning behind it. When I asked for an explanation all he said was that it was against our lease.

I've never been late with a payment and we've only ever had one issue which was resolved quickly. I just don't understand waft he wants from me. We have an agreement that I will pay for damage outside of my security deposit because of the nature of my work.

Ask him to quote the clause that you are allegedly breaching in the lease that you've signed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Sounds like with a lot of landlords, you are better off ignoring him. Hes a gob****e.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭groovyg

So you are paying rent for a two bedroom place but one room you are not allowed to use !This makes no sense at all. In relation to the spare room is the landlord storing items there or is it your stuff?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Ask him what you ARE allowed to use it for.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Op taken from citizens advice
    Rights as a tenant in private rented accommodation

**You are entitled to quiet and exclusive enjoyment of your home**
    You are entitled to certain minimum standards of accommodation
    You are entitled to a rent book
    You have the right to contact the landlord or their agent at any reasonable times. You are also entitled to have appropriate contact information (telephone numbers, email addresses, postal addresses, etc.)
    Your landlord is only allowed to enter your home with your permission. If the landlord needs to carry out repairs or inspect the premises, it should be by prior arrangement, except in an emergency
    You are entitled to reimbursement for any repairs that you carry out that are the landlord's responsibility
    You are entitled to have friends to stay overnight or for short periods, unless specifically forbidden in your tenancy agreement. You must tell your landlord if you have an extra person moving in
    You are entitled to a certain amount of notice of the termination of your tenancy
    You are entitled to refer any disputes to the Private Residential Tenancies Board (PRTB) without being penalised for doing so
    You have the right to a copy of any register entry held by the PRTB dealing with your tenancy
    All homes for rent must have a Building Energy Rating (BER), stating how energy-efficient the home is. This will help you to make an informed choice when comparing properties to rent.

Point one is the important part

The clause he claims I'm breaking is that I can't move the furniture to another room, but it states that I can't move HIS furniture, not mine. I haven't moved anything that was already there because there was nothing.

The stuff being stored was mine.

I think he is just being a bit of a jerk about it. He's a bit of an idiot TBH. The only other issue I've had with him had nothing to do with the property and was entirely his ignorance so what else could I expect? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭groovyg

So he's saying you can't use the spare room which you are paying for as part of the rental agreement, why don't you ask him for a reduction in the rent? I'm sure he would change his mind quick smart ! Is he registered with the PRTB? He sounds like a complete tool.

He's usually a decent LL. He's PRTB registered

I may just have to try that!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

He's a total tool. He's ignorant and completely intolerant. But he's usually a decent LL. He's PRTB registered

This is not appropriate, please stop with the defamatory statements.

This is not appropriate, please stop with the defamatory statements.

Sorry!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Was the house belonging to his parents/mother? Maybe that room was his mothers/fathers and either/both of them diedd there? he might not want anyone using it and that might explain why he doesn't want the other furniture moved between rooms within the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭xper

... My lease states that I can't remove his furniture or redecorate a room ...
    The clause he claims I'm breaking is that I can't move the furniture to another room, but it states that I can't move HIS furniture, not mine. ...
    Whoa! What? I assumed that the statement above from your first post just referred to the removal of provided furniture from the premesis which would be reasonable and pretty standard. But you're actually saying that the lease forbids rearrangement of furniture within the apartment? That's mad Ted! Some landlords really do come up with crazy ideas about controlling their tenants lives.
    i don't see how you have to try anything. Just ignore him and carry on as you are, he's talking nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Was the house belonging to his parents/mother? Maybe that room was his mothers/fathers and either/both of them diedd there? he might not want anyone using it and that might explain why he doesn't want the other furniture moved between rooms within the house.

Did you forget the smiley face on that one Foggy. You're having a laugh, right?

foggy_lad wrote: »

But If that was the case he shouldn't rent it out

xper wrote: »
    Whoa! What? I assumed that the statement above from your first post just referred to the removal of provided furniture from the premesis which would be reasonable and pretty standard. But you're actually saying that the lease forbids rearrangement of furniture within the apartment? That's mad Ted! Some landlords really do come up with crazy ideas about controlling their tenants lives.
    i don't see how you have to try anything. Just ignore him and carry on as you are, he's talking nonsense.

It allows for rearrangement within a room but not the house. It's never been an issue personally baca use I live alone and couldn't manage to move things up and down the stairs anyway but yes it is slightly more controlling then usual I thought.

I've arranged to discuss the issue with him further because I'm hoping to come to a solution so that it won't leave any hard feelings.

I spoke to my LL earlier today and while I still have not seen his reasoning we have c

I spoke to my LL earlier today and while I still have not seen his reasoning we have c

sorry don't know what happened and now I can't edit.

we have come to an agreement that every second month he's gonna glance into the room to make sure that I haven't put anything else in, which makes no sense but whatever if it will make him leave me alone I don't mind him being nosey!

Thanks for all the help :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Does your landlord also live in the property?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

OP, he's likely worried about damage. There's a reason artists rent studio space.

athtrasna wrote: »
    Does your landlord also live in the property?

No he lives close though so he usually just comes to get my cheque.

Tarzana2 wrote: »
    OP, he's likely worried about damage. There's a reason artists rent studio space.

Why not just say that though? and why wouldn't he be worried in a room full of his furniture but now he's worried in an empty room. Yeah but renting a studio isn't a reality for a lot of artists anymore, esp not in Dublin. Or at least not any I know!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,960 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

sorry don't know what happened and now I can't edit.

we have come to an agreement that every second month he's gonna glance into the room to make sure that I haven't put anything else in, which makes no sense but whatever if it will make him leave me alone I don't mind him being nosey!

Thanks for all the help :)

This is utterly bizarre :pac: what else is he afraid of you 'putting in'?

I wouldn't fancy having a landlord over ever really, let alone him popping in every second month.

I think you're being a bit too accommodating to his odd behavior.

Advertisement