Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Microsoft Lumias (11/11/2014)

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Gipo3

beauf wrote: »

Finally a Mobile data toggle, I was wondering what that update was. Man I use that all the time. Why for petes sake can't the wifi be a toggle as well. Its like the dev team don't use smart phones or something.

There is a WiFi toggle. Go to settings - notifications + actions - choose quick actions

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭murphm45

Finally a Mobile data toggle, I was wondering what that update was. Man I use that all the time. Why for petes sake can't the wifi be a toggle as well. Its like the dev team don't use smart phones or something.

What update is this? Is it the Lumia denim update?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

No idea I'm on the dev preview. I think the notification of the update only came through this morning. Still says cyan. But I now have a data toggle in the drop down notifications called mobile data. One click on/off like android.

Gipo3 wrote: »
    There is a WiFi toggle. Go to settings - notifications + actions - choose quick actions

For me that's a short cut to a toggle. Its more of a slider with two positions. Regardless of what that is. I think most people want it to work the way the mobile data does. Like android.

I don't turn WiFi on/off as much as I do data. So its not as big an issue as the mobile data was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 875 ✭✭✭theothernt

murphm45 wrote: »
    What update is this? Is it the Lumia denim update?

As others mentioned, it was part of the latest update from the Dev Preview programme which appeared a couple of days ago...

http://www.windowscentral.com/windows-phone-update-14219-finally-brings-cellular-data-toggle-action-center-0

• Advertisement

What other changes are in it. Was voice search there before?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,663 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Complaining that this update *only* includes something simple like a data action toggle is a bit harsh - this was a minor update to the Dev Preview version, not a wide public release that was heralded as including major features. Dev Preview owners will receive lots of little updates like this on a frequent schedule (I've seen at least 4-5 since 8.1 Update 1 was installed). All these smaller updates we're getting on DP will be rolled up into a major release for the general public.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

For me that's a short cut to a toggle. Its more of a slider with two positions. Regardless of what that is. I think most people want it to work the way the mobile data does. Like android.

I don't turn WiFi on/off as much as I do data. So its not as big an issue as the mobile data was.

We've discussed this before the WiFi Quick Action is almost perfect, I need to connect to WiFi Networks way more than I need to switch it off and on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

MJohnston wrote: »
    Complaining that this update *only* includes something simple like a data action toggle is a bit harsh...

If you mean me, I didn't say that. I just said I wished Wifi worked the same.

If you want to save battery life, or if the wifi zone you're in is interminable and constantly prompting for a password as it does on the train. I just want to turn it off, and use mobile data. The same way we can now turn off mobile data.

These are basic features that have been on Android for years. Its not some exotic high end feature.

If you are on mobile data all day, or rock solid wifi its not something you'd ever notice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

So apparently Acer are planning to release a bunch of Windows Phones in the new year. Will be mostly low to mid range I would imagine?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,663 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Will be mostly low to mid range I would imagine?

It's Acer, so I think that's implied :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

MJohnston wrote: »
    It's Acer, so I think that's implied :P

Acer = SH1te.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

So apparently Acer are planning to release a bunch of Windows Phones in the new year. Will be mostly low to mid range I would imagine?

The market does seem saturated at this stage but if there is truth to the idea that starting people off on a low end will eventually lead them to upgrade then so be it. I don't see it myself especially with other factors like contract lengths and waiting for carrier updates.

920 is old and EOL can still stand toe to toe with the competition.

930 is only a small leap forward and is technically older than were think.

Was looking forward to the 1020 successor but if the leaked info is accurate than it's not for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I don't think people buying the low end encourages them to move up to higher models.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

http://www.neowin.net/news/more-htc-one-m9-specs-leaked

Supposed specs of the HTC M9, and a little tidbit that HTC may also simultaneously launch a windows phone version.. which would be nice!

I've been doing a lot of research on android phones recently and while there's some great hardware out there I think I would miss my WP start screen and its live tiles. Its just really practical, whereas android seems to rely a lot on switching between apps and checking the notifications drawer. Let's hope by Q2 2015 there'll be a wider choice of windows phone than the low-end or aging range provided by Microsoft.

Advertisement