Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

high pressure cylinder tank

• 11-11-2014 10:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭

Hi im looking for advice,thoughts on fitting high pressure cylinder tank.In order to get more pressure in upstairs bathroom im thinking on installing high pressure cylinder tank which going to be feed straight from cold water mains,therfore giving me more pressure without need to install water pump however i know it will work but is it legal as u can only buy tanks that witstand around 40 psi in ireland which is too low,was thinking about something that will witstand around 5-6 bar and give me cleaner water becouse of skipping the feed of water tank in the attic which only be used for toilets,bath.Have anyone done this before ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Not legal in Dublin unless you use a pump and break tank.

You can certainly buy such an 'unvented' cylinder. Not particularly cheap though.

You are dealing with hot water at high pressure, and the best practice (though seemingly not followed in Ireland that much) is that these systems should be tested yearly, so you need to factor that into your costing. If things go wrong with these systems they can be very dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭maxibaby

yea i see the point but again pressure should not be too high as its only going to be same as in cold water mains plus will install safty valve so above certain pressure valve will realese any more

The problem isn't the pressure and it isn't the heat. The problem is the two together. Water will become superheated in the pressure vessel and if there is a failure the result is likely to be catastrophic. You need at least two safety devices. A qualified person need to test the safety devices every year. A properly experienced plumber who does this sort of thing regularly will be able to cost this out for you, but it won't be cheap. There are various standards that have to be followed.

It might be handier to just pressurise the piping into the bathroom. You can do that for a few hundred euros and a plumber or handyman can do it. The only risk is getting wet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

maxibaby wrote: »
    yea i see the point but again pressure should not be too high as its only going to be same as in cold water mains plus will install safty valve so above certain pressure valve will realese any more

Where will it release the water to?

One of the most common mistakes on a pressurised cylinder is that there is insufficient or no drain off from the safety valves.
    High water pressure is not the only thing that can cause big problems.
    Failed thermostats on the immersion heaters or failed expansion vessels can cause big problems if the cylinder and the associated pipework is not done correctly.

Ok can connect one safety valve to overflow pipe and one into the drain pipe also is the expansion vessel needed if i use 10 bar tank will i ever going to reach that pressure

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,852 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Ok can connect one safety valve to overflow pipe and one into the drain pipe also is the expansion vessel needed if i use 10 bar tank will i ever going to reach that pressure

Will you stop before you kill somebody. Have you any idea of the dangers of unvented cylinders if done incorrectly? The stuff you're printing here leads me to believe you're trolling

Unfortunately the tank leaking or exploding and making everything wet is not the worst that can happen. In fact that is about the best possible outcome that can happen if there is a malfunction. (and if you install this without regard to the precautions and competence/maintenance requirements you will certainly have a malfunction at some stage).

So what would be the best option to get better pressure upstairs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,852 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

So what would be the best option to get better pressure upstairs

A pump after your open vented cylinder

Going with vented cylinder then and pump too much hassle wit other options thnx fpr all ur help

• Advertisement
Advertisement