Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

David Moyes named Real Sociedad manager

• 11-11-2014 11:00am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/29976327
    Former Manchester United boss David Moyes has been named as the new manager of Spanish club Real Sociedad.

It is the 51-year-old's first job since he was sacked as United manager in April after a 10-month spell in charge.

Moyes replaces Jagoba Arrasate, who was dismissed by Sociedad after a poor run of form which currently sees them lie 15th in La Liga.

The Scot has signed a contract to June 2016 and will take charge for the first time at Deportivo on 22 November.

Sociedad announced the appointment late on Monday in a statement on their website.
    Interesting to follow how this one plays out.

Comments

Fellani to Sociedad?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Fellani to Soceidad?

Not a chance, the way he's played the last couple of games he's WELL worth keeping

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Best of luck to him, seems a decent bloke but he just wasn't cut out for the United job. No point in vilifying him or bitching and moaning about him at every chance for years because he wasn't able for a job he was offered...

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Probably for the best to get away from the English media for a while anyway

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

If given time he'll probably do ok. He wasn't given time in his last job in hindsight.

Not sure what their budget is? I'm guessing it's not huge which may suit him

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

I wish him well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Slicemeister

Don't forget the factor 50 David.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Hope he does well. He has done a great job at every club he has been at:pac:.
    Obviously things didnt go well for him at utd but it was always going to be a tough job for anyone that followed fergie and he didnt seem to have the confidence or belief for the job. I think this season so far has shown that it wasnt just moyes that was the problem and if he does well here he should rebuild his reputation. Cant see him ever getting a job at a big club again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

good luck to David, he always struck me as a decent guy

pity it wasn't a premier league club..would have loved to have seen him stuff man u :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

He may well have a Steve McClaren style renaissance abroad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

Must admit I thought he would end up at Villa sooner rather than later but hope he does well in Spain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

fryup wrote: »
    pity it wasn't a premier league club..would have loved to have seen him stuff man u :)

May well happen. Real Sociedad are Europa League regulars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

If given time he'll probably do ok. He wasn't given time in his last job in hindsight.

he should have never got the job in the first place and he certainly should not have kept it as long as he did, the season was salvageable by the time the January window opened (5th in league, 5-8 points off top, still in Fa Cup, still in league cup) yet we had been absolutely horrific up until that point - hed lost the dressing room and the players didnt want him.

on your logic, Roy hodgson should have got more time, but he didnt and i dont think any Liverpool fan would disagree with his sacking. the only people that seem to think Moyes deserved more time, were non United fans, which says it all really. he ripped the heard and soul out of the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Going to be a tough job, Chris Coleman had a bit of a nightmare there and I can see the fans losing patience very quickly if results don't go their way.

Hope he does well though, he was treated disgracefully by United.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

He was given too much time tbh. Far too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Mocha Joe

Blatter wrote: »
    He was given too much time tbh. Far too much.

Here we go. This thread is now going to repeat an argument that has been had 1000s of times but doesn't matter anymore.

Mocha Joe wrote: »
    Here we go. This thread is now going to repeat an argument that has been had 1000s of times but doesn't matter anymore.

i suggest you direct this towards the ones who know damn well he should never got the job, yet keep suggesting he was treated badly. this debate keeps happening, because people refuse to see logic that the decision to sack him not only was the correct one, but it came 5 months too late.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

He treated United disgracefully more like, sacking proven coaches, telling proven players to play more like Phil Jagielka etc.

He failed in every way and it was all his own making in my opinion. LVG is rebuilding what Moyes has completely undone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭LeBash

Very important move for him. If this works out he will be rated as a top quaility manager again. If not he will end up at some 4-6th seed International team or out in Asia imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Can he speak spanish?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Mocha Joe wrote: »

You are right in that it isn't too relevant here, mostly because he's going to a club that would be fairly content with 6th/7th/8th place finishes, and he had a track record of consistently achieving this with a fairly modest budget. He could do well at Socidead, it's his level.

But if somebody says he wasn't given enough time at Utd, I am going to disagree with it. He doesn't deserve a free pass over what he did there. It can't be underestimated how much of a balls he made of the job.

The hypocrisy of some people is unsurprisingly hilarious.
    If you think Moyes didn't get enough time then you must think the same of Hodgson.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

cournioni wrote: »
    He treated United disgracefully more like, sacking proven coaches, telling proven players to play more like Phil Jagielka etc.

He failed in every way and it was all his own making in my opinion. LVG is rebuilding what Moyes has completely undone.

He's doing a bit of shocking job of that so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Ah yes, a bit of a shocking job....

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    Can he speak spanish?

"lo intentaré" should buy him a bit of time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Going to be a tough job, Chris Coleman had a bit of a nightmare there and I can see the fans losing patience very quickly if results don't go their way.

Coleman was unlucky because Sociedad called Presidential elections at Christmas and the guy who had hired him lost the election.

He'd been doing ok up until that point but ended up walking because the new President couldn't give him assurances regarding his future and potential investment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

cournioni wrote: »

Proven players like Ferdinand who can't hold down a starting spot at QPR and Vidic who many Inter fans want to see nowhere near their team?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭Mr_Red

Good Luck to him

I hope the Media just leave the guy alone to do the job instead of making a fool of him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    Can he speak spanish?

He can speak it in the traditional English way, i.e, still speaking in English but slightly louder than normal, saying uno instead of 'a/an' and putting comprendez at the end of sentences.
    "Score uno goal, comprendez"

• Advertisement

Mr_Red wrote: »
    Good Luck to him

I hope the Media just leave the guy alone to do the job instead of making a fool of him

if anything, the media went completely easy on him, the United fans backed him (foolishly) like no other clubs fans would have done.

any other top club in England and Europe would have sacked him by January at the latest.

Advertisement