Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Qasqhai slow to start

• 11-11-2014 11:05am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭

Howdy,

Have a 08 qasqhai 1.5dci thats slow to start sometimes and does so with a puff of smoke.

Battery is good, never any issues apart from that. Well apart from the rattles, having to replace the rear shocks and the heavy steering, but theyre all normal qasqhai traits.

Was thinking maybe cleaning the EGR or replacing it....It does get motorway action every day, so should be clear?

Any thoughts welcome

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

A work colleague had terrible starting problems in an 08 model that he has from new. It was sorted by Nissan, it was a combination of 2 problems.
    1) An incorrect fuel filter fitted by an independent mechanic causing fuel drain back.
    2) A cracked fuel line under the floor also allowing fuel to drain back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Xennon

Hi jca,

Dont think I have any feul line issues, this started happening a while ago before filter was changed. From what I can see it seems to be a common enough complaint of the qasqhai and that engine, must do some more digging.

Checked glow plugs etc all seems fine.

Are the non starting bouts completely random or is it at specific times. E.g. first thing in the morning, after a short drive, etc. Any lights on the dash?

Nope, no engine warning lights, usually first thing in the morning or when left to cool down. Engine sounds rattly for the first say 5 seconds when it starts, its as if it has to push the oil around the engine before it gets any lube action, throws out a puff of smoke aswell. But once running it runs perfectly.

It hasnt yet not started, just not liking the way its behaving.

I think it may be a choked up EGR...may be...not sure.... I believe this is common enough with these, Im just wondering if anyones had similar and had it sorted.

Have a look at the fuel primer, it's on the drivers side of the engine, a black rubber bulb. Try giving that a squeeze in the morning before you try the first start of the day. Don't squeeze it too tightly if its full of fuel or you could rupture it but if it feels slack it would be a sign that fuel is draining back overnight. Normally the egr would give more symptoms, poor idle, smokey on acceleration and a fault code in the ecu. I know you said the glow plugs were ok, but is the control unit turning them on when needed?

• Advertisement

good thinking i'll check the primer tomorrow morning, yeah the glow plug controller is working fine, thought it might have been that first.

Its annoying as otherwise it drives perfectly, even though Im not a fan of them.

Checked the primer there one morning, no pressure in it. Pumped it up and started, was still a little sluggish but i wouldnt say as much and there was still a belch of smoke out of it, but once started the exhaust is clear.

Wouldnt gravity pull the fuel back out of the system if its left sitting?

Gravity will only succeed if a pipe or joint is cracked allowing air to enter the system and allow the fuel to run back to the tank. The non return valve at the fuel filter on the return line can give trouble so check that first.

Advertisement