Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking to ID this tree

• 11-11-2014 11:19am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭

46ACB274-F8BD-4096-A8F6-231BD26666E6_zpsh1cax806.jpg

73EB9368-63F8-4862-B0BA-87ECA35BDDAE_zpso8jltxjc.jpg

I'm asking as I'd like to know how tall it will grow. Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Norfolk Enchants_

gebbel wrote: »

I'm asking as I'd like to know how tall it will grow. Many thanks.
    That's not a tree, it's a shrub, I'm not sure exactly which one but at a guess with the serrated edged leaves and berries I would say it's some variety of ilex (holly).
    The height it grows isn't really relevant, as I'd say with 99.9% certainty there would be no issue with pruning it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭gebbel

Thank you. Just searched online for ilex and the photos match. Appreciate it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭lottpaul

Looks very like Ilex koehneana - sometimes called the 'chestnut leaf' holly. Books will tell you it grows up to 10 metres. I have a 15 year old specimen and its been at about 4 or 5 metres for ages. Yours looks a lot healthier and more prosperous than mine so it must like where it is. Like all hollies it can be pruned and shaped but you will lose the natural effect of the tree.

Advertisement