Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bbk festival bilbao. 9 - 10 july 2015.

Options
  • 11-11-2014 11:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭

Myself and my wife are going for the first time this year having failed to get glasto tickets. Anyone ever been? Any pointers? What's the atmosphere like? What's the food and beer like? Is it expensive?

Main headliner confirmed so far is muse which I'm happy about. Also can't get over how cheap the tickets were.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Evil Sausage

I went in 2012 for Radiohead - one of their few shows in Europe that wasnt sold out and couldnt get over how cheap it was!

Festival itself is grand - its hosted on the side of a hilltop overlooking Bilbao. I didn't camp as had friend living in Bilbao at the time and the bus was only 20 minutes outside of the town. But the atmosphere is very different from your typical Irish/UK festival, there doesnt seem to be an emphasis on getting wasted by the large majority.

They have a strange setup on the stages - there were 2 big stages and one or two smaller stages, but only 1 act would play on any of the stages at a time. For example, while waiting for Radiohead we had to suffer through Mumford & Sons. If we went to one of the other stages, they were empty and only rebroadcasting the other stage on the screens.

Beer was pretty cheap, but they had a token system in place which could get annoying. Very cleverly though, the tokens we guitar picks of the acts who played the previous years - so if you like Pearl Jam, chances are you'd keep that one rather than spend it.

Anyways, was well worth the trip as its on around the time of the Pamplona bull run, which is only 90 mins away by bus. We took that in first and then went to the festival. Not to mention, Bilbao is a deadly town and well worth visiting on its own

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭wacotaco

Whats is the best airport to fly into ?

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Fugs!!

Thank you mister sausage. Sounds good to me. We're staying in a hotel in bilbao city for a week.

You can fly into bilbao from Dublin.

So anyone else going?

• Advertisement

Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Trenchtown from Electric Picnic is going to be there this year.

PS: Sorry wrong festival I meant Benicassim festival.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭CiarraiAbu2

Was thinking of going to this next year as the pixies are playing (wife's favourite band) and a big birthday of her's next year.

I see aer lingus fly in there on the Thurs arriving at 15.45, dose anybody know what time it starts and finishes at, I suppose the pixies wouldn't start till late which would give me plenty of time if they are on the first night.

Thanks,

• Registered Users Posts: 17 kennyball

anyone going to this this year??? line up looks great...imagine it's pretty laid back and easy going...any reports?

Yeah, heading there this year, must chuffed with the line up

http://bilbaobbklive.com/en-us/line-up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

seriously thinking of going to this next year.
    Where is the best place to fly in to ?
    Is it a good festival?
    Worth going for the week?
    where is good to stay?

Go, you wont be disappointed.

You can fly from Dublin to bilbao (aer Lingus) bus to town is 1.50 roughly.

Beautiful city and if you were going for a week you could take in San Sebastian for a couple of says before hand or the bull run is on as well around the same time.

Try and get somewhere to stay near the san mames stadium. There is a free bus running at the back of the train station up to the festival, with a 10 min up hill walk when you arrive.

We walked down every night about 40 mins but there is a free bus back as well.

Very laid back, music starts about 5.30 and goes on till the early hours. Plenty of time to see the city during the day.

Go, you wont be disappointed.

You can fly from Dublin to bilbao (aer Lingus) bus to town is 1.50 roughly.

Beautiful city and if you were going for a week you could take in San Sebastian for a couple of says before hand or the bull run is on as well around the same time.

Try and get somewhere to stay near the san mames stadium. There is a free bus running at the back of the train station up to the festival, with a 10 min up hill walk when you arrive.

We walked down every night about 40 mins but there is a free bus back as well.

Very laid back, music starts about 5.30 and goes on till the early hours. Plenty of time to see the city during the day.

Did you go this year?
    • We were thinking Aer Lingus straight in to bilboa
    • stay three days of the festival
    • down to the bull run then
    • the last 3/4 days in san Sebastian
    • and probably fly out of San Sebastian

Could you recommend any good places to stay eat?

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Vinculus

I read Bibio in the title and got excited for a second but then I realised I was mistaken.

Bowlardo wrote: »
    Did you go this year?
    • We were thinking Aer Lingus straight in to bilboa
    • stay three days of the festival
    • down to the bull run then
    • the last 3/4 days in san Sebastian
    • and probably fly out of San Sebastian

Could you recommend any good places to stay eat?

Yeah I went this year, flew straight into Bilbao only 15 mins from city. If i had the time I would do what you are suggesting but depending on flights you could nearly come back from San Sebastian (about 40 mins away by train and fly back from Bilbao. The flights this year were in the afternoon so suited us perfectly.

We stayed in the Melia this year, only because it was a special occasion, there are plenty of hotels that are a lot cheaper and seem nice from what we saw walking around.

Most of eating was done at the venue, breakfast was in the hotel and in the afternoon we would go into a bar or cafe and have a couple of Pintxos while doing some sightseeing. Usually got the bus up around six or seven to the venue.

There is a tram line that goes along the river and takes you near the old town but its handy enough to walk the the place.

• Depeche mode
    • Two door cinema club
    • Phoenix
    • Fleet Foxes
    • Die antwoord

All for 85 euros. Flights over 100 . 19 for a hostel in Bilbao.
    Going to go to San Sebastian for a week then.
    Quite happy with myself when i see picnic tickets are now €230

• Registered Users Posts: 5,546 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Was looking into this myself, not overly into the line up so far though. Daphni was announced too so I wonder would that mean Caribou could be in with a shout too? Cheapest flights I can find are coming in at around €190 return.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭bullpost

Was looking into this myself, not overly into the line up so far though. Daphni was announced too so I wonder would that mean Caribou could be in with a shout too? Cheapest flights I can find are coming in at around €190 return.

Another option is to check out flights to Santander. Nice place to stay for couple of days and then bus onto Bilbao. Very Scenic spin in bus and doesnt cost a whole lot.

Advertisement