Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New efibre cabinet nearby - house connected to another exchange miles away

Options
  • 11-11-2014 12:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am currently in the process of purchasing a house and it is quite close to an efibre cabinet (approx 700m) but the house was built 20 years ago and appears to be connected to a totally different exchange that's almost 4 miles away.

Can I pm the phone number of the house to one of the reps to confirm which exchange the house is connected to? And based on that maybe see what my options are?

Thanks a mill.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭eircom: Colm

Drift wrote: »
    Hi,

I am currently in the process of purchasing a house and it is quite close to an efibre cabinet (approx 700m) but the house was built 20 years ago and appears to be connected to a totally different exchange that's almost 4 miles away.

Can I pm the phone number of the house to one of the reps to confirm which exchange the house is connected to? And based on that maybe see what my options are?

Thanks a mill.
    Hi Drift

No problem, PM me the House address and I will check what exchange you are connected to.

thanks
    Colm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭Drift

Hi Colm,

Any update on this? I pmed you but got no response.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

Hi Colm,

Any update on this? I pmed you but got no response.
    Apologies Drift Colm is not currently available

Please PM me the details you sent to Colm and I'll get back to you today.

Thanks
    Al

Thanks Alan. Having problems with mobile version - will pm tomorrow.

Thanks Alan. Having problems with mobile version - will pm tomorrow.
    No worries Drift

Thanks
    Al

• Advertisement

PM sent now Alan.

Thanks.

PM sent now Alan.

Thanks.
    Thanks Drift

PM sent in reply

Al

Hi Alan,

I've dropped you a few PMs since. Have you had a chance to look into them?

Hi Alan,

I've dropped you a few PMs since. Have you had a chance to look into them?

[font=Times New Roman","serif]Hi Drift

Yes, operations have got back to me with a lot more information on this.

They have confirmed that your line is currently connected directly to the exchange, this can happen even if a cabinet is in range. Lines connected directly to the exchange are not served via local cabinets and utilise slightly different cable path infrastructure which currently is not included in the existing plans for efibre.

It's not possible to change a directly fed line on to existing VDSL cabinets however the only good news i can offer you is that efibre operations have confirmed that works on a new product to offer directly fed lines have been agreed and hopes are that they are will be implemented and available within 12 months.

I was genuinely hoping and holding out for better news for you Drift - apologies for any disappointment.

Thanks
    Al[/font]

[font=Times New Roman","serif] [/font]

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭ClonNGB

Hi Drift, I am in the same boat as you, also direct fed from exchange.

There are 250,00 direct fed lines currently ignored by Eircom. I am hoping since these tend to be clusters near to town centres, that the ESB/Vodafone will treat these as low hanging fruit and will provide a better full fibre solution while Eircom is sitting on it's hands. 

• Advertisement

ClonNGB wrote: »
    Hi Drift, I am in the same boat as you, also direct fed from exchange.

There are 250,00 direct fed lines currently ignored by Eircom. I am hoping since these tend to be clusters near to town centres, that the ESB/Vodafone will treat these as low hanging fruit and will provide a better full fibre solution while Eircom is sitting on it's hands. 
    Hi ClonNGB

I can assure you that a solution of directly fed lines is being worked and hopes are that it will be implemented at user end within the next 12 months. That's as much information I have available to me right now but as soon as I do have more news on this I'll be sure to get back to both Drift and yourself.

Thanks
    Al

Thanks very much for all your work Alan.

I'm phenomonally disappointed though. I'm also very worried that my location is so rural that it could be skipped over as part of the new system.

It's a perfect storm of a location. 800m from the last cabinet in the nearest town and 3 miles from the rural exchange to which it is connected.

The rural exchange to which I'm connected will be upgraded to efibre shortly but my distance from it will make that useless to me. The only thing is that over half the phones connected to that rural exchange will be in the same boat.

Would you be able to check for me Alan if this new solution for directly fed lines will be rolled out to rural exchanges with 3k+ line lengths? Pretty please!!!!

Sorry for the double post but I just wanted to check:

The "new solution" - will it be useful for lines longer than the current 1k-ish limit on efibre lines to the cabinet?

Sorry for the double post but I just wanted to check:

The "new solution" - will it be useful for lines longer than the current 1k-ish limit on efibre lines to the cabinet?
    Hi Drift

I have been unable to obtain much information on the planned solution for directly fed lines although I can indeed certainly ask. I will get back to you as soon as I have more information Drift.

Thanks
    Al

Thanks Alan,

I appreciate any info you can get.

As you can imagine the prospect of a solution for direct fed lines that only serves people within 1k of the exchange is a huge worry for me because I could end up forever on a long copper line with poor internet. :(

(And when I can see an efibre cabinet from my gate!)

Thanks Alan,

I appreciate any info you can get.

As you can imagine the prospect of a solution for direct fed lines that only serves people within 1k of the exchange is a huge worry for me because I could end up forever on a long copper line with poor internet. :(

(And when I can see an efibre cabinet from my gate!)
    Your concern is completely understood Drift,

As soon as I have more information from them I'll be right back to you

Al

Hi Alan,

Any luck finding out about the length restrictions on the new super secret direct fed miracle project?!

I have my fingers crossed for some Christmas good news!!!

Hi there,

I realise it's a busy time with staff on holidays etc. but is there any update?

Hi there,

I realise it's a busy time with staff on holidays etc. but is there any update?
    Hi Drift

Apologise for the delays, I've been awaiting clarification from operations. Unfortunately operations have informed me that they are unable to offer specifications or details surrounding the solution for directly fed lines and this I'm afraid included the distance in regards to coverage.

I know the lack of information doesn't help but until more details are released I'll be unable to offer any further information.

Thanks
    Al

Hi Alan,

Thanks for checking anyway. It is disappointing to be left in the unknown area - because of the fact that they wouldn't allow you to discuss the range limitations I guess I'm fearing the worst.

Is there any way you could check the following for me:

If I was to request the installation of a new line to the house would it be brought from the  nearby cabinet or would it be pulled the 3km alongside the existing wire?

Thanks again.

• Advertisement

Hi Alan,

Thanks for checking anyway. It is disappointing to be left in the unknown area - because of the fact that they wouldn't allow you to discuss the range limitations I guess I'm fearing the worst.

Is there any way you could check the following for me:

If I was to request the installation of a new line to the house would it be brought from the  nearby cabinet or would it be pulled the 3km alongside the existing wire?

Thanks again.
    You're welcome Drift

Due to the physical location it would be connected to the exchange. I did raise this when previously in contact with operations. Until more details are released on a solution to directly fed lines I'm afraid I'll not have better news for you.

Thanks
    Al

Thanks Alan.

As soon as you are allowed to let us know please do!

Thanks Alan.

As soon as you are allowed to let us know please do!
    I will indeed Drift

Cheers
    Al

Hi Alan,

I'm back with more queries!!!

So it appears that the exchange I'm connected to will be upgraded to VDSL (in April according to the wholesale site) but through the grapevine it seems that direct fed VDSL (eVDSL) will be of no use to me. The exchange currently has ADSL1 technology - is there any possibility that for the people who aren't close enough to get VDSL they may at least get ADSL2+ speeds?

I'd really appreciate if you could check this out for me. I sent my details on before but can send them on again if necessary.

Thanks. 

• Registered Users Posts: 5 sideknife

hi drift
    same here only home in my area with no efibre and cabinet outside my door asked eircom and Vodafone and they can't tell me where my line is going what can I do ?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Hi Alan,

So it appears that the exchange I'm connected to will be upgraded to VDSL (in April according to the wholesale site) but through the grapevine it seems that direct fed VDSL (eVDSL) will be of no use to me. The exchange currently has ADSL1 technology - is there any possibility that for the people who aren't close enough to get VDSL they may at least get ADSL2+ speeds?

I'd really appreciate if you could check this out for me. I sent my details on before but can send them on again if necessary.

Thanks. 
    Wont make a difference if the previously quoted "4 Miles" is correct. ADSL2+ is only noticeably faster within 3000m or so of the CO(exchange).

What you need is called "Network Rearrangement" by BT over in the UK, but as far as we've seen over in the broadband subforum theres no evidence eircom have started doing this. Doesnt make sense for them to until after all the "easy" installs are complete either (end 2016).

If BB is important to you, pick another place. 

I'm not sure of the exact distance ED E ... but I'd say it's more than the 3000m of wire - probably slightly less as the crow flies .... Broadband is important but sadly it doesn't top the list of requirements. Fixed wireless is available in the area so I might have to look into that.

I'd appreciate if an eircom rep could look into it for me all the same. Tony, Alan?

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭hazchem

Hi, if I PM you a telephone number can you check what cabinet it is connected to, or is it direct to to exchange as VDSL cabinets are to be enabled in May in this area on your fibre map. Thanks in advance.

Hi there,

Posted my query on the 16th - see above. No answer from the eircom reps - I think it may have been missed.

Post number 25 above http://www.boards.ie/ttfpost/94312864

I'd appreciate if an eircom rep could look into it for me.

• Advertisement

Hi Alan,

Thanks. 
    Hi Drift

Apologies for the delays, I've been off for the past week.

I understand your concerns and I've raised this with operations who have confirmed that enablement of VDSL will not affect suitability to ADSL2+ but until launch of VDSL at the exchange we will be unable to foresee or give indication of availability of efibre or faster speeds.

The exchange is marked for April at a wholesale level so until then I'm sorry I won't be able to alleviate your concerns.

Cheers

Al

Advertisement