Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Pubs and Bars in Dublin

Options
  • 11-11-2014 1:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭

I thought it might be nice to start a thread talking about some of the new bars/pubs/restaurants that have opened in Dublin recently. This comes from my own experience of seeing quite a few pubs opening this year and thinking that it's great to see, particularly (as the reviews will show) as the places are attempting to transform what a typical pub has been in Dublin over the years. Yet the proper, traditional, good pubs remain intact so it is a nice balance which has now been struck in the Dublin pub scene.

To start off, I'll name a few which I have been in for food and/or pints with a one liner description (please feel free to contradict or amend);

Taphouse, Ranelagh http://taphouse.ie/; rooftop beergarden, gastro-tapas, cosy for groups and individuals, lots of beers!

The Bridge 1859, Ballsbridge http://www.thebridge1859.ie/; tankards, booths, hearty brunch, epic dinner, rugby union and hot girls.

Sober Lane, Ringsend http://soberlane.com/; fun, young, social-media, welcoming, pub grub, wild.

Arthur Maynes, Donnybrook https://www.facebook.com/pages/Arthur-Maynes-Donnybrook/668443903210942; warm and cosy, alcoves, lots of beers and wine, two small TVs (token salute to sports), soft rock played at a mild volume, best chips in Dublin, massive portions of meat, friendly and fun staff, interesting decor, young demographic.

There are more off the top of my head (Alfie Byrne's and the soon-to-be East Side Tavern) but I just wanted to get the ball rolling. Fair play to these new places for bringing something new to Dublin.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

The Back Page, Phibsboro the-back-page.com its the new Bodytonic bar. Went in last week while it was in "pre-season training" pizza and pint for €11 or something like that pizza was really nice!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

The 108 opened in Rathgar last week as a Galway Bay Brewery pub and is well worth a look. It's a lot cosier than the other Dublin branches.

I went to The Back Page on Phibsborough Road (formerly the Red Windmill) at the weekend and the Twisted Pepper guys have done a great job here. Draught beers from Rascal's, Porterhouse and Thornbridge as well as the best pint of Kinnegar Rustbucket I've ever tasted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭AndonHandon

BeerNut wrote: »
    The 108 opened in Rathgar last week as a Galway Bay Brewery pub and is well worth a look. It's a lot cosier than the other Dublin branches.

I went to The Back Page on Phibsborough Road (formerly the Red Windmill) at the weekend and the Twisted Pepper guys have done a great job here. Draught beers from Rascal's, Porterhouse and Thornbridge as well as the best pint of Kinnegar Rustbucket I've ever tasted.

Do you have any links to the Back Page? Can't seem to get stuff on Google. Would like to check it out one afternoon.

Do you have any links to the Back Page? Can't seem to get stuff on Google. Would like to check it out one afternoon.

I put it in the first reply above.

jimmii wrote: »
    I put it in the first reply above.

Dear God I am blind.

• Advertisement

Dear God I am blind.

Maybe leave the pub for today by the sounds of it!!

Its a shame ESB won't let them do anything with the area next to the back page such an eye sore.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,321 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

jimmii wrote: »
    The Back Page, Phibsboro the-back-page.com its the new Bodytonic bar. Went in last week while it was in "pre-season training" pizza and pint for €11 or something like that pizza was really nice!

Cool. My bus passes, I had a look in, thought I saw a few fruit-machines and swore off dropping in. Your post may have changed my mind.

Birneybau wrote: »
    Cool. My bus passes, I had a look in, thought I saw a few fruit-machines and swore off dropping in. Your post may have changed my mind.

Yeh there are two poker machines but I think they are just for credits when we were there it looked more about keeping some of the old guard happy! Definitely worth popping in its something different for the area thats for sure! Upstairs they have table tennis, xbox etc. You on the 140 by any chance! Bus stops right outside which is handy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Did The Back Page used to be The Mill? Might be handy for pre and post game no-colours pints when the Dublin Derby is on.

Didnt Bodytonic buy Francis McKennas at Harolds Cross Bridge? Anyone been in it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,321 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

drumswan wrote: »
    Did The Back Page used to be The Mill? Might be handy for pre and post game no-colours pints when the Dublin Derby is on.

Didnt Bodytonic buy Francis McKennas at Harolds Cross Bridge? Anyone been in it?

Now called MVP, was empty when I had a pint in there with the brother on a Friday night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Now called MVP, was empty when I had a pint in there with the brother on a Friday night.

I seem to recall a rather bizarre press release listing all the things they wouldnt be doing when they opened.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭PauloConn

Was in a couple of times, seemed busy enough. Nice cosy place, lots of candles and some decent draughts. Went to the Headline after which has far more going on

Used to be called the Red Windmill. They took it over a month or so ago.

I've been going by every day for the last couple of years and can't remember it ever being anything but bright red! That picture must have been from a while back.

This is how it looked until recently

Red Windmill

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Been jammers any Friday or Saturday I've been in there, well downstairs anyway. Upstairs seems to just be overflow.
    I seem to recall a rather bizarre press release listing all the things they wouldnt be doing when they opened.

They've no kitchen but seem to be using that to their advantage by calling the pub "dog friendly". Always a few dogs running around, which is pretty novel in Dublin.

I like the place, I'm local to it and it's a decent comfortable boozer.

Anyone have any experience of that place where Madison niteclub used to be? On Wicklow Street.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,098 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Have MVP got a cig machine?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭ollaetta

Anyone have any experience of that place where Madison niteclub used to be? On Wicklow Street.

Mary's Bar and Hardware Store! Looks and sounds gimmicky but it must be working as it's always jammers.

• Advertisement
Advertisement