Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

iPhone 3G to iPhone 5 ?

• 11-11-2014 1:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭

My son (22) is still using a 3G, god love him, but naturally he is essentially only using it as a phone because it does so little. He is a Windows/Linux user.
    I am giving him my iPhone 5 tomorrow.

I will be backing up today and resetting it and turning off iMessage and Find my phone. It's not locked to any carrier so I believe all he has to do is put in his own SIM and start...?

Q1: What does he do with the 5 when he connects it to his windows iTunes ?

Q2: He is a lazy sod ... and may not sit down to itunes for several days ... what can he do with it until then ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Backup his old one in iTunes, and then connect the new one and choose restore. Pretty simple.

Alternatively, don't restore and start fresh with a brand new phone with no apps or photos or texts clogging it up. He just has to sign in with his Apple ID and he'll be good to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

Unless he has already bought lots of apps he doesn't have to do anything except create an Apple ID.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

I thin he already has an Apple ID ... but only used it to back up and maybe buy one or two free apps. Thanks guys. So he can sign in to the phone using his apple ID ahead of plugging it into iTunes ?

There's no need to connect it to iTunes.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Kim Kardashi Un

Is he going to use your sim or buying one? They are different sizes between the 5 and the 3

• Advertisement

Is he going to use your sim or buying one? They are different sizes between the 5 and the 3

He has a full size sim. I have a new nano sim for him ready. All he needs to do is reg it online and he can continue (48).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,064 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Piliger wrote: »
    He has a full size sim. I have a new nano sim for him ready. All he needs to do is reg it online and he can continue (48).
    superdad :D

The nano sim is all he needs. Set up as new phone over home wifi. Once he realises he has bugger all apps or contact numbers for "d mates", he will not be long restoring his iTunes backup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

What iOS is your 5 running? If it's 7 or over then he won't be able to restore from his 3G backup anyway.

mad muffin wrote: »
    What iOS is your 5 running? If it's 7 or over then he won't be able to restore from his 3G backup anyway.

Why iOS 7?i think you're confusig the backups as well. You can't restore a backup of say 8.1 to an iPhone with just iOS 8.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

guil wrote: »
    Why iOS 7?i think you're confusig the backups as well. You can't restore a backup of say 8.1 to an iPhone with just iOS 8.

Maybe that's it. When my wife's iphine running iOS 7 was stolen I couldn't restore that backup to an iPhone 3G.

• Advertisement

mad muffin wrote: »
    Maybe that's it. When my wife's iphine running iOS 7 was stolen I couldn't restore that backup to an iPhone 3G.

Found out myself after Apple replaced an iPhone 5 for me. Think my backup was 6.x and they sent one with iOS 6.

Interesting. So, can restore older backups to newer iOS but not the other way around ?

Yep.

Zcott wrote: »
    Yep.
    So Piliger's young lad will be OK ? Or is the 3G, and its associated FW, just too old ?

3G backup - restore to 5 = ok
    5 backup - restore to 3G = not ok

Sorry about the delay in coming back.

iPhone5 has 8.1 on it. I might suggest to him to start a completely new Apple ID. It might be better. Though I don't know if Apple allow that. He will probably use the same debit card that he used to create the original account. Anyway it looks like he'll be fine going by the advice. This old fart is 'upgrading' to a Nokia 106. Happy days are over.

Piliger wrote: »
    This old fart is 'upgrading' to a Nokia 106
    I feel your pain. I'm on a Nokia 220 for the last week waiting for my 6 to arrive. PITA at this stage. Didn't realize how much i'd miss it.

The only good thing to come out of it is Ive only charged it twice in the week.

Advertisement