Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheapest way to Skellig Islands?

Options
  • 11-11-2014 3:26pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 26

HI folks, I know a lot of this touristy stuff is geared towards Americans with big wallets. I don't want to be ripped off - any recommendations on a good value trip to Skellig? There are a load of boat companies, some of them have prices advertised, some don't.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭traprunner

It's more or less a cartel. They are all more or less the same price. The only difference is that you get an exhibition from the Skellig Experience trip. The exhibition is poor though.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,348 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

FeckBum wrote: »
    HI folks, I know a lot of this touristy stuff is geared towards Americans with big wallets. I don't want to be ripped off - any recommendations on a good value trip to Skellig? There are a load of boat companies, some of them have prices advertised, some don't.

Thanks.

As far as I know there are only 15 boats licenced to land people on Skellig Michael. Two are "slow" boats, the rest are "fast". (There might be less actual boats than this, but the licences are limited). I only found out afterwards that I'd wound up on one of the "slow" boats, took about 90 minutes to get out if I recall correctly.

Given it's such a small market I doubt there's much variation in the prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,269 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Swimming is the cheapest way.

They're all local operators, would very much doubt they'd try undercutting each other, might be a premium for a 'fast' boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭colrow

The price to land on the Skelligs is €50 I think, there is a boat that does a trip around the Skelligs, but does not land, for €25.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

FeckBum wrote: »

Thanks.

You'll find most prices are about the same for same service. Faster boats will charge €60-70, slower boats €50-€60.
    traprunner wrote: »
    It's more or less a cartel. They are all more or less the same price. The only difference is that you get an exhibition from the Skellig Experience trip. The exhibition is poor though.

Its a licence scheme with strict rules and strict cap on numbers.

If its something that interests you, you'll find the skellig exhibition enthralling - if you don't have a interest in the history, you'll find it poor. Just like anything.

Remember the season is short, (mid May to end of september) the number of journeys is capped (one per boat per day) and it is always weather permitting. You also get a full refund if the weather cancels the journey.

I'll put it another way - there are no well-off boat owners down there. They make a living off it in the summer and go back to fishing or whatever else they do in the winter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭W1ll1s

Great trip, would recommend it to anyone :)

Only thing i really did not like was not nearly enough time on the island :(

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭gandroid

W1ll1s wrote: »
    Great trip, would recommend it to anyone :)

Only thing i really did not like was not nearly enough time on the island :(

What operator did you go with and where did you go from?

delahuntv wrote: »
    If its something that interests you, you'll find the skellig exhibition enthralling - if you don't have a interest in the history, you'll find it poor. Just like anything.

I agree, I thought the exhibition was great really interesting but I'm one of the few people in the country who liked Peig:o

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭JonathonS

I agree, I thought the exhibition was great really interesting but I'm one of the few people in the country who liked Peig:o

Wrong islands? :confused:

JonathonS wrote: »
    Wrong islands? :confused:
    Lol completely wrong island please ignore comments, but blaskets exhibition was good :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭W1ll1s

gandroid wrote: »
    What operator did you go with and where did you go from?

Went from Portmagee.

OPW has "Decreed" as they do... that you only have 180 minutes on the rock and each Ferryboat can only do 1 trip per day...
    Means they have the whole place more or less to themselves and their merry gang!
    See; 'Isles of the West-Ian Mitchell' for the same carry on up in Scotland.

NOT nearly enough time for a place like that...

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭beertons

If you're going, go soon. Star wars are heading back, and they'll have use of it for a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

Went from Portmagee.

OPW has "Decreed" as they do... that you only have 180 minutes on the rock and each Ferryboat can only do 1 trip per day...
    Means they have the whole place more or less to themselves and their merry gang!

The limits are there to protect the area. It is utterly amazing.

For most, 3 hours is plenty - there are no public toilet facilities on the island and they don't want people having picnics.

If you want to study / photograph the island, you can ask for a special permit to stay longer / overnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Went from Portmagee.

Shure you can't move in Portmagee with all the Ferraris and Lamborghinis those minted boat owners have around the place :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

can someone tell me if they are doing trips to the island this time of year? hoping to go back within the next week or two....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭siblers

No, think they finish up around September, start back up then around April.

Advertisement