Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lifetime Dog Licence?

• 11-11-2014 3:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭

We're moving to Ireland soon, with a dog - I know of the licence requirement but, looking on the County Council's website (Cork) there's only an option to buy online an annual licence (or a general licence for 20+ dogs!). I thought that a lifetime dog licence was available? Would I be able to buy a lifetime licence at any Post Office? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 792 ✭✭✭hadook

In Meath you can ring/visit the county council offices to buy one. It's not available from the post office.

I'd suggest contacting them directly to ask via email or phone, they should be able to provide you with details of how to buy the lifetime license.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

hadook wrote: »
    In Meath you can ring/visit the county council offices to buy one. It's not available from the post office.

I'd suggest contacting them directly to ask via email or phone, they should be able to provide you with details of how to buy the lifetime license.

Similar in Louth, they like to take a photo of the dog to put on the license, so obviously you've got to meet the warden to do that! We travelled to the pound, and as my dog was the first in the county to get a lifetime license, she featured in the newspapers AND we got a cup of tea and a biscuit out of them! :D
    Obviously OP, the cost of the lifetime license should probably be weighed up against the age of your dog.. unpalatable I know, but probably only financially worthwhile if your dog is aged 7ish or less. depending on breed and expected longevity, if you know what I mean! :o
    That said, it is also nice not to have to think about having to renew it every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Murray007

How much is the lifetime license?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Unless your dog causes a nuisance or bites someone you don't need to bother buying one tbh. It's not like a TV license the dog warden doesn't come knocking on your door asking you to produce one. Its just another stealth tax which was hiked up from €12.70 per year to €20 by Enda Kenya to help bailout his cronies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 883 ✭✭✭keno-daytrader

Chris___ wrote: »
    Unless your dog causes a nuisance or bites someone you don't need to bother buying one tbh. It's not like a TV license the dog warden doesn't come knocking on your door asking you to produce one. Its just another stealth tax which was hiked up from €12.70 per year to €20 by Enda Kenya to help bailout his cronies.

Your post may not be popular here, but I agree 100%

☀️ 7.6kWp ⚡3.4kWp south, ⚡4.20kWp west

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Rabbo

If your dog got loose and happened to be picked up by the warden, do they check if it's licenced?

Whilst there is some variation in pound services around the country in terms of license-checks, pretty much everything you've said here is wrong.
    The wardens here regularly do door-to-door license checks. At least every couple of years, if not more regularly. They also stop you on the street if you're out walking your dog, to ask have you a license. Not that you have to carry it on you, but they record your details to check up, as they are empowered to do by law.
    And it is NOT a tax. It is a license fee, which, unless the highly respected county vet who presented a talk about this at a stray dog and cat seminar I was at last year was lying, ALL of the license monies go back into the county pound service.
    Your post may not be popular here, but I agree 100%
    It's not that it's not popular... it's that it's complete rubbish, with all due respect.

Rabbo wrote: »
    If your dog got loose and happened to be picked up by the warden, do they check if it's licenced?

If you go to reclaim your unlicensed dog from the pound, you have to buy the license before you get your dog back, as well as any outstanding fines and kenneling fees. In other words, if you can't produce your license when you go to reclaim the dog, you've got to buy one there.

DBB wrote: »
    Whilst there is some variation in pound services around the country in terms of license-checks, pretty much everything you've said here is wrong.
    The wardens here regularly do door-to-door license checks. At least every couple of years, if not more regularly. They also stop you on the street if you're out walking your dog, to ask have you a license. Not that you have to carry it on you, but they record your details to check up, as they are empowered to do by law.
    And it is NOT a tax. It is a license fee, which, unless the highly respected county vet who presented a talk about this at a stray dog and cat seminar I was at last year was lying, ALL of the license monies go back into the county pound service.

It's not that it's not popular... it's that it's complete rubbish, with all due respect.

With all due respect to your post, in the last 10 years I have never been visited by a warden, nor have I been stopped on the street by a warden (I walk my dog everyday in town, when its not lashin)

I do however see dog **** all over town on the foot paths so the dog warden in my town certainly isnt doing what he/she is paid to do.

Talking to a local guard here in town, he has never handed out any fines or hasn't seen any cases or fines brought up in local court for owners being fined for not cleaning up after their dog.

• Advertisement

With all due respect to your post, in the last 10 years I have never been visited by a warden, nor have I been stopped on the street by a warden (I walk my dog everyday in town, when its not lashin)

I do however see dog **** all over town on the foot paths so the dog warden in my town certainly isnt doing what he/she is paid to do.

Talking to a local guard here in town, he has never handed out any fines or hasn't seen any cases or fines brought up in local court for owners being fined for not cleaning up after their dog.

I don't dispute any of that.
    Like I said, there's a lot of variation between counties. But the original poster said that there's no need to get a license. Full stop. In my county, there is. And in quite a few counties, there is. It is simply wrong to say that wardens do not visit houses in a general sense, because in some places, they do.
    And it is wrong to call the license fee a tax. Because it's not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

The mutt beside me now is trained, chipped, licenced, insured & loved. I'm not giving anyone a reason to take him away from me.

I don't dispute any of that.
    Like I said, there's a lot of variation between counties. But the original poster said that there's no need to get a license. Full stop. In my county, there is. And in quite a few counties, there is. It is simply wrong to say that wardens do not visit houses in a general sense, because in some places, they do.
    And it is wrong to call the license fee a tax. Because it's not.

I understand your points, however, these days anything paid to the govt in any form feels like a tax to most people and seems like the people are getting to a breaking point where they wont stand for much more.

Id love if the dog warden here was out, seen and enforcing the laws, sadly it doesnt happen here.

Im straying :D into other areas besides animal and pet issues so I better leave it there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

I remember Thurles Town Council back about 2002/3 were having trouble getting the North Tipperary County Council to come collect stray dogs in the town. The town council at the time was even considering employing its own dog warden. Hence two animal charities were set up in the town which had to deal with the problem. Again in 2012 this problem arose in Thurles. This time it was pitbulls in council estates

http://www.tipperarystar.ie/news/local-news/roaming-pit-bulls-terrifying-people-in-thurles-1-3941534

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

I remember Thurles Town Council back about 2002/3 were having trouble getting the North Tipperary County Council to come collect stray dogs in the town. The town council at the time was even considering employing its own dog warden. Hence two animal charities were set up in the town which had to deal with the problem. Again in 2012 this problem arose in Thurles. This time it was pitbulls in council estates

http://www.tipperarystar.ie/news/local-news/roaming-pit-bulls-terrifying-people-in-thurles-1-3941534

Brilliant journalism. These dangerous dogs are roaming the streets freely apparently, yet "if these dogs get loose" :confused::confused::confused::confused:

People are terrified of them, so terrified, they are crossing the street. Now imagine you met a loose lion, you actually would be terrified, would you just cross the street, or get out of the way completely?

What has that got to do with the allegations that you made, that wardens never do door to door visits, and that the license money is a tax?
    Again, I appreciate they may not be particularly effective in your neck of the woods, but that doesn't mean it's the same across the whole country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I understand your points, however, these days anything paid to the govt in any form feels like a tax to most people and seems like the people are getting to a breaking point where they wont stand for much more.

You make it sound like it's a another tax/payment that's been sprung on us all of a sudden though when that's not the case?

The warden has come to our area doing door to door checks and is regularly in Dublin CC parks and beaches. A dog was being badly mistreated in our area and the warden seized the dog the day after it was reported so he's doing his job imo.

OP we have lifetime ones (i got them online)- but they're not fancy like DBB's with the dog's photo on it! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Hillybilly4

Thanks all. Didn't mean to start a debate over dog licences! Am old enough and ugly enough (and have lived in enough other countries) to expect a licence/tax for this and a licence/tax for that, dogs included.
    My dog is now practising his selfies for the (possible) pic ;0)

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Murray007

Not true. I have my dogs in a very rural area and I have a visit from the warden annually to hand deliver a notice. I should put it in the diary but haven't. The notice is on a pre printed card but polite, however, I would not risk having the babies lifted by he dog warden. Hence, I would go for the lifetime license which I didn't know about before this thread. Although 140 euro is steep, I am not sure it reflects the average dogs lifespan. Some pet dogs live 14 plus years buts ours are hard working dogs as well as being loved members of the family but experience has shown me that a working dog has a shorter lifespan. Although more true to what they want ti do in life they enjoy life as a working dog doing what they are bred to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

Isn't your dog covered by your house insurance in the event of an accident (ie if it causes damage to a car/livestock) only if it is licensed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

to those that are complaining about paying a dog licence.
    theres a very legal way of not paying it, you may be shocked at this but

wait for it

don't own a dog!
    paying for a dog licence is one of the responsibilities that goes along with owning a dog

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭KatyMac

I must be awful unlucky so. Dog Warden comes round nearly every year. Have two dogs, both are licenced and never running free/without anyone with them. I don't mind paying the fee and even think every dog should be tagged/tattooed the way cattle, sheep etc are so that it is easy for anyone to see who owns them and where they come from, might be less sheep killing then.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Ashbx

By the sounds of it, dog wardens tend to hit the rural areas more than the city areas. I would assume it would be the other way around but I suppose rural areas are probably at a higher risk of having dogs on the loose and dogs near farms/animals etc.

I have lived in Dublin all my life and never have been asked to produce my dog licence. So I do see why people don't bother getting one. I myself have intentionally delayed renewing for a few months to save myself a few bob but at the same time, if you are willing to own a dog, you should be willing to own a licence for that dog.

Advertisement