Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Backing up data before restoring

• 11-11-2014 4:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm here seeking advice. I've been handed a laptop (Asus K55A) that needs a fresh Windows 8.1 restore on it as it's being passed on to a relative.

Just wondering, what's the best way to backup data to an external HDD in order to bring that data back on to a new laptop, once it's bought. Is there any software that would essentially be able to clone folders?

Also, is using the onboard restore partition a safe way to 'wipe' the laptop? It's going to a relative but not one that we're overly familiar with. Nothing overly sensitive on the laptop but just want to make sure I'm doing this right.

Appreciate any help.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Drag and drop the folders to the external hd. Restore the laptop to factory fresh that should sort everything.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

If you want something easy and built into windows, robocopy at the command line should do it. If all the stuff you want to back up is in one folder, the syntax is something like:
    robocopy <source> <destination> /e /zb /r:3 /w:0

Where /e means "include empty folders", /zb means "restartable mode if available, backup mode if not", /r:3 means "retry 3 times in the event of an error", /w:0 means "wait 0 seconds before retrying".

See here for more info and the various switches available.

If you've got a bunch of different subdirectories, you could define the commands for robocopy to copy each one, prefix them with "start /wait" so that each copy runs to completion consecutively rather than concurrently, then stick them in a batch file. Run the file as a user with the relevant permissions and leave it to churn away - if there's a significant amount of data involved it might take a while to copy across.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭peejay1986

Appreciate the responses. Cheers!

As it turns out, Windows 8.1 seems to have redirected where Windows looks for the recovery files. Now, Windows can no longer find the files to initiate recovery mode. A workaround seems to have been found here:

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/39197-unable-use-built-asus-recovery-partition-3.html

But I need to source a 16GB USB drive before I can do anything. Sigh.

Advertisement