Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eirtakon 2014 || Friday 21/11 - Sunday 23/11

Options
  • 11-11-2014 4:27pm
    Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭

WHAT: Eirtakon Fighting Games
    WHERE: Croke Park convention centre
    HOW MUCH: €35 weekend pass || €25 day pass (tourneys are free to enter once in)
    WHEN: Friday 21/11 - Sunday 23/11 (2 weeks away as of this post)
    WHY: (see below)

Once again, it's time for what is by far my favourite of the convention tourneys, Eirtakon!

Myself and Doom will be in attendance once again, recording, streaming and recruiting new members (previous famous recruits include Fergus and Lythero... perhaps we should stop going).

I can't stress enough to people who might be put off by the fact that this is a convention - Eirtakon tends to be one of the best events of the year, and there's always serious craic to be had, not to mention the fact that they're very good to us as a community.

Below you can find the times for the Fighting Games which will be occurring over the weekend. I'll be there Friday, Saturday and Sunday for casuals too.

Saturday 21st

12:00 - 15:00 Ultra Street Fighter IV (Xbox 360)

17:00 - 19:00 Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 (Xbox 360)

19:00 - 21:00 Super Smash Bros. Brawl Project M (Wii)

Sunday 22nd

12:00 - 14:00 BlazBlue: Chronophantasma (PS3)

14:00 - 17:00 Super Smash Bros. (3DS)

There's a bunch of other tourneys on too, check them out here

Hope to see ye there!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

Gonna be in london at this time, gutted :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Brickterium

See you guys there!

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭The Hound

Will be there. Just wondering if there does be many set ups for casuals? Still go if there isnt

• Registered Users Posts: 11,005 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Possible I can get to this, but €25 for entry is a bit steep.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I will be there. I'm gonna try to bring 2 set ups Hound, usually Eirtakon have 4 or 5 themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Possible I can get to this, but €25 for entry is a bit steep.

It's 25 for the whole con, I guess they don't expect people to come just for one tourney, but yeah it would be a bit steep if you're just entering sf or w/e.

If you entered a second tourney then it's a bit closer to what was charged on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 trole

Nuu, I wish project M wasnt 2 hrs and on at 7pm haha

my wallet is willing but my soul is weak and spongy

Best of luck wit the event!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Bumpity bump.

This weekend folks!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

All packed, ready to go.

Hopefully will be trying out my new projector this weekend!

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Excellent day guys, the hype and drama was real!

USF4 results
    1st
    Hound

2nd
    Doyler

3rd
    D4RK ONION

4th
    Brick

5th
    Doom
    DeskMenu

7th
    Hackle Serpent
    Nutrient

9th
    Lythero
    Owen Mooney
    Tristan
    Thomas

13th
    DickButt
    DeadLovePirate
    Daniel
    RetroGamer

UMVC3 results
    1st
    Nutrient

2nd
    Lythero

3rd
    Hackle Serpent

4th
    D4RK ONION

5th
    C. Major
    Mikenyan

7th
    Mathew
    Samuel

9th
    Broand
    Paddy is Fine
    Just James
    Sean

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 Brickterium

Ggs guys, on my phone still at the con. We'll gets some games in sometime Doyler!

Shout outs to var [] ; Team Team Aammm the pub quiz beasts. (Onion)

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Doyler01

MFW hearing rules for Halo finals.. and dealing with the wonderful idiots running it.

2818776-this_is_so_wat_captain_america_crossed_universes_to_wat__6457cc29b114cb4d6b2495e3e109ce35.jpg

Yo collusion

• Registered Users Posts: 11,005 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

What happened with Halo?

BR and Plasma Pistol only, no stickies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

No jumping, no punching, needlers only, final destination.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Doyler01

They couldn't setup a system link, so they ran it via xbox live using the venues poo internet. So the team on the host xbone had an insane advantage.

Every match the team without host would lag horribly and even go blackscreen while the other team owned them.

They spent most of the day actually trying over and over again to connect to the host lobby as it kept losing connection.

So me and Lee played Semi finals on a 4 way split screen cus this xbl nonsense wasn't working.

The 2 we were against in finals were the 2 running it all day and we were quite friendly with them. They "Bagsied" player 1 and 2 for the split screen. But then went on to try AGAIN to connect the 2 xbones while one of them sat comfortably on the host xbone. Before the match started I asked if we could have that xbox and they said "No way, we know all about host!"

Ok fair enough, so the match starts and 1 min in, me and Lee start lagging rottenly and die. Come out of blackscreen to see I'm waiting to spawn. I mention it to them and straight away they're not happy about it. They claimed it wasn't lagging.... after spending about 2 hours over the whole day dealing with connection issues.. they claimed it wasn't laggy. Ok :rolleyes:

Straight away they're dejected, and I'm genuinely confused as to what is wrong with them. I thought they would WANT a fair grand finals for the game they spent their entire day running. I thought that like any true competitor, they would want to become champs fairly and earn it! I was wrong.

I suggested that we play a split screen match so its fair, like they had us do for semi finals. But the girl immediately claimed that screen hacking is unfair. I let her know that we would all be looking at the same TV so it cannot actually be "unfair"... to which she replied something like "Well, I just don't believe in it and I won't do it so it will be unfair on us." Ok it's not ideal, but playing over xbl is just so unfair it totally defeats the purpose of a tournament I said.
    They then claimed that there is no disadvantage to using the non host xbox, so I suggested that they used that one... And ofcourse they wouldn't.
    So about now I straight up confront them and point out they clearly just want to cheat to win.

The greenshirt running Halo (bffs with the 2 we were against) then suggested that we play again, them on host, and if it lags.. me and Lee put our hands in the air and then all 4 of us put our pads on the table until the lag passes.. This apparently was the rule for dealing with lag all day that the 3 of them came up with.

MFW you-went-full-retard-never-go-full-retard.jpg

Because they knew they were trying to cheat us, and couldn't argue their stance at all, they made the conversation needlessly confrontational. Since they weren't getting their way and couldn't argue it, they just acted like we were fighting when it was just a chat over a game. They all had an extreme lack of social skills. It was extremely awkward as I was left alone the entire time by my wonderful teammate Lee to deal with these 3 wonderful creatures currently on their annual venture outside. I alone had to listen to their pathetic idiotic reasoning and rotten attitudes. Both males actually got in my face at times..

When I offered them to play us either on 4way split screen or over xbl but me and Lee on host (Which they are claiming makes no difference), they then started claiming we don't have time to set that up..
    (note, this discussion went on for another 30 mins i'd say before the match finally started and the actual match had a 5min limit)

I've never had to deal with such childishness in charge of a situation. They knew I was in the right but couldn't admit it or even coherently argue their stance at all. Instead they just dropped lines like "This is how the tournament has been run all day, and we already had to use the bad xbox. I don't believe in screenhacking.. its UNFAIR. It's just... sigh.... we've been at this all day so... ....... :(............."
    Whenever I suggested that they choose either give us host or play on split screen they would just sigh and sit there like dopes. They called over other friends working at Eirtakon to back them up. One absolute gremlin yoke kept coming over and saying something with a snotty face on her but I didn't understand once.

So eventually we had to get Sinead and some other yellow shirts of Eirtakon come and deal with the situation. Whatever they decided would be final.
    After hearing what both teams had to say they went off to make a decision.
    I said we should play on split screen because xbl is a complete joke, and that if they insist on xbl, then we should get host or 1 per team on the host xbone. Again they just moaned instead of making any point about the actual situation.

The yellows decided we would play on 4way split screen, but me and Lee would have to win 2 games, and team nomates would only have to win 1 game.

Me and Lee were delighted, here's our chance to show our dominance on an even playing field... twice.

Game starts and xbone freezes..

They then suggest a pot split which we accepted for the lols and to get away from them. 20 buck voucher for game stop for each team. Collusion.

Ken and others said that every year there's issues in Halo featuring these 2. I'm not surprised as they were honestly some of the dumbest and worst people I've ever had to deal with. I would have walked away much sooner as I didn't give a crap about the prize. But I couldn't stand idly by and watch such injustice and a lack of dignity.

On the plus side, the whole thing was hilarious for me and the fgc. Yo e-sports.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

FWIW, me & my mates used to run 16 player free-for-all on Halo 1/2. Back in '04.
    Lugging 4 Xbox consoles, 4 CRTs, and a box of cables.

Is the Xbone not able to run a system link/local game, or were these scrubs just such shameless cheats?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

Bloody hell, I would've tried to rally a walkout.

F that S.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Lythero

EMxnRZm.jpg

I spent a lot of time trying to explain the situation to Onion and Doom. It was so baffling that it took ages to elaborate how ridiculous the situation was (not to mention all the eSports ads breaking the flow). But when I did join the fray it was like arguing with tumblr users. Couldn't fathom how Doyler could keep talking to them.

Me: "Let's just play 4-player split screen"
    Halo Pro: "No way! Screen watching is cheating!"
    Me: "Well yeah, it sucks, but at least that way it's fair, since the connection just drops for us any way."
    Halo Pro: "There's nothing wrong with the connection!"
    Me: "Then stand by those words and let us use the host xbox. See how well it runs for you."
    Halo Pro: "No"
    Me: "Why not?"
    Halo Pro: "... because we've been on this one all day."
    Me: "Then you're lying and just want to cheat your way to victory."

It was around this point of the conversation when one of them would literally hold their hands up to Doyler's or my face until one of the staff interjected.

Personally, I'm annoyed we didn't even get to play against them. They'd take our controllers and organise the teams and match so that we'd get the **** spawn at the start every time. I want that runback with everyone in the FGC cheering us on, cause when everyone started upping the hype, the two halo players started sweating bullets. It was as if everything they'd ever done in their lives was now on the line. And for being such insufferable tools, I was eager to beat them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Nutrient

Doyler01 wrote: »
    MFW hearing rules for Halo finals.. and dealing with the wonderful idiots running it.

2818776-this_is_so_wat_captain_america_crossed_universes_to_wat__6457cc29b114cb4d6b2495e3e109ce35.jpg

Yo collusion

I've only got 1 question:

Yo, We E-sports now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Hey guys,

Just to let ye know that we'll do everything we can to make sure things are a bit more clear-cut next year. Apologies for all the drama!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Get that Halo grudge match going for Baa Fights imo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭ayjayirl

Doyler01 wrote: »
    3 wonderful creatures currently on their annual venture outside.

crying-man.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭jimmypenguin

best con

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Linoud

Konata wrote: »
    Hey guys,

Just to let ye know that we'll do everything we can to make sure things are a bit more clear-cut next year. Apologies for all the drama!

Tbh just ban them from entering next year is the easiest solution. I know all the people who've had to deal with them just don't enter the Halo Tournament anymore to avoid them, even if they win while dealing with them. It's just hassle.

Last year they complained they weren't allowed used their custom controllers and headsets in the tournament.

Year before that they complained and called me and my mate Shane out on "camping" when we beat them fairly on a map they chose and chose the spawns for so they'd be closer to powerweapons.

They're just really dramatic and whiny and have no sense of fair play at all.

I've heard more Halo stories from other con-goers involving these two, many more. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Malone1994

Linoud wrote: »
    Tbh just ban them from entering next year is the easiest solution. I know all the people who've had to deal with them just don't enter the Halo Tournament anymore to avoid them, even if they win while dealing with them. It's just hassle.

Last year they complained they weren't allowed used their custom controllers and headsets in the tournament.

Year before that they complained and called me and my mate Shane out on "camping" when we beat them fairly on a map they chose and chose the spawns for so they'd be closer to powerweapons.

They're just really dramatic and whiny and have no sense of fair play at all.

I've heard more Halo stories from other con-goers involving these two, many more. :p
    I've got stories for days about the dramatic antics of these two. They're the worst when it comes to Halo tournaments. They don't care about FairPlay and they're horrifically unsportsmanlike.
    I've had a few people come to me about the drama at this years Eirtakon about what they did to the Halo tournament and I actually can't believe they were let away with so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

tumblr_m520z0XJyZ1rquf2k.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Left4Shiz

Alright how's about we hear the story from someone that was just watching it, ok one I myself was not in any of the tournaments I ain't that good a player so I was standing watching the halo all day and yes the connection was bad all day but that was croke parks internet being **** and since the xbox ones don't have lan it had to be done with a laptop.
    Now as for the lag yeah there was lag all day on Both Xboxes and the rules where to raise your hand and wait it out which worked all day with no complaints from other teams.

now here's why i'm writing this, as I said I've been watching the halo nearly all day and there was NO black screen on either xbox the final round or lag for that matter! all I seen was one guy stand up and start giving out and I thought ok maybe some things wrong but what? and when I found out after talking to a staff member im left there think ok there was no black screen at all what the hell?!

ok last few things is if the con people say there gonna hold a tournament their way then its gonna be their way and not only that its a CON tournament for fun and I really feel sorry for the staff cause there was a lot of **** and not just with the halo.

yeah know what I really hope that someone has the recordings of that halo match cause if there is lag the game will record the lag. I don't know maybe its just me but if anyone else has seen what I seen then I hope they make a post too.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Linoud

Left4Shiz wrote: »
    Alright how's about we hear the story from someone that was just watching it, ok one I myself was not in any of the tournaments I ain't that good a player so I was standing watching the halo all day and yes the connection was bad all day but that was croke parks internet being **** and since the xbox ones don't have lan it had to be done with a laptop.
    Now as for the lag yeah there was lag all day on Both Xboxes and the rules where to raise your hand and wait it out which worked all day with no complaints from other teams.

now here's why i'm writing this, as I said I've been watching the halo nearly all day and there was NO black screen on either xbox the final round or lag for that matter! all I seen was one guy stand up and start giving out and I thought ok maybe some things wrong but what? and when I found out after talking to a staff member im left there think ok there was no black screen at all what the hell?!

ok last few things is if the con people say there gonna hold a tournament their way then its gonna be their way and not only that its a CON tournament for fun and I really feel sorry for the staff cause there was a lot of **** and not just with the halo.

yeah know what I really hope that someone has the recordings of that halo match cause if there is lag the game will record the lag. I don't know maybe its just me but if anyone else has seen what I seen then I hope they make a post too.

If there was no lag, then why did they have a hissy fit and not want to swap consoles with the people who thought their one was lagging? Seems like a simple swap console then if they really think it was fair and there was no advantage being on the host xbox. :p I smell shenanigans.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Malone1994

Linoud wrote: »
    If there was no lag, then why did they have a hissy fit and not want to swap consoles with the people who thought their one was lagging? Seems like a simple swap console then if they really think it was fair and there was no advantage being on the host xbox. :p I smell shenanigans.

I think Left4Shiz might be one of them, given the account was created today and it's only post is here. Just a thought...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 ArcaneMarine

If I remember correctly, because you guys were complaining so much they just gave you one of the prize vouchers and left it at that out of good sportsmanship, so i don't see why you have to insist on bad mouthing them when you guys and your attitude towards the whole thing was the problem, and now you're trying to come off all like you's were the noble gamers doing it "just for fun" but that's not what I saw, plus I didn't see any of you's trying to set up a halo tourney, those guys did what they could to set one up with what they had but all you's did was complain and moan the whole time. Plus I'm sure if you's didn't have to twitch it too then maybe there wouldn't have been any problems.

And before you think I'm one of them too, I'm not, I was one of the Umbrella Corporation guys

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement