Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Winter gear

• 11-11-2014 5:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭

Hi,

The other half is getting me some new winter gear for christmas, trousers, jacket and gloves.

Can anyone recommend anywhere to go? Anywhere doing good deals etc?

Cheers

Lenn

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Cotters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Hi,

The other half is getting me some new winter gear for christmas, trousers, jacket and gloves.

Can anyone recommend anywhere to go? Anywhere doing good deals etc?

Cheers

Lenn

I normally go to Cotters and (some will gasp) Bikeworld for my gear..

But Wonda-Boy here is probably a better source for information, I think he shops up north.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Lenn Brennan

Del2005 wrote: »
    Cotters.

Thanks for that, I'll have a look at them :)

I normally go to Cotters and (some will gasp) Bikeworld for my gear..

But Wonda-Boy here is probably a better source for information, I think he shops up north.

Cotter's looks like a winner alright, cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Cotter's looks like a winner alright, cheers!

You won't go wrong with Cotters, and they're friendly & helpful enough to deal with too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

Cotters stock Richa gear. Richa Cold Protect gtx gloves are pretty good for winter.

http://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/83815

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Cotters will deffo get ya sorted but if you looking for HQ brands (Rukka etc) then you will have to go elsewhere, McCallans stock a good bit of gear and are very nice and a spin on any bike you want for a giggle is always on the cards. Ass do Crossans up north have some nice gear (more so helmets). If you wanted you could head over to the NEC in Brimingham for the NEC LIVE MOTORBIKE SHOW this month or hold on till the new year when the London bike show is on.

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Cotters will deffo get ya sorted but if you looking for HQ brands (Rukka etc) then you will have to go elsewhere, McCallans stock a good bit of gear and are very nice and a spin on any bike you want for a giggle is always on the cards. Ass do Crossans up north have some nice gear (more so helmets). If you wanted you could head over to the NEC in Brimingham for the NEC LIVE MOTORBIKE SHOW this month or hold on till the new year when the London bike show is on.

Cheers for the info, much appreciated!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Don't mean to hijack the thread but on the topic of winter gear, I'm planning on replacing my motorbike trousers.

Had a look online and spotted the rst blade textiles which had some good reviews and are in my price range. Anyone have any experience with these. I know many of you are very happy with rat gear in general.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

zubair wrote: »
    Don't mean to hijack the thread but on the topic of winter gear, I'm planning on replacing my motorbike trousers.

Had a look online and spotted the rst blade textiles which had some good reviews and are in my price range. Anyone have any experience with these. I know many of you are very happy with rat gear in general.

I have a pair of RST Textiles, not too sure if they are the Blade or not.

Comfy, Yes. Warm, Yes, Keep you dry, No.

They worked for for awhile keeping the rain out but now are only effective in a light rain.

Mind you, wearing them and rain warrior trousers and I can still get wet at the crotch, more to do with how the water runs off the tank and my jacket.

They are fine for the price but the only way you'll get waterproof gear is to buy goretex gear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

I have the RST Paragon II textiles, and they work 100% even in the heaviest of showers never leaked once. I did spray them once or twice with the Aldi/Lidl waterproof spray but even then they were at least a yr old with no problems.

I really recommend RST for bang for buck, worse case like Rosie stick a cheap light rain suit over them and sorted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Cheers for the reply folks.

The problem with my current pair is I end up with a soggy crotch in heavy rain so really want a pair that don't have this flaw. Would love a pair of goretex trousers but they're way out of my price range. I'd prefer not to use a rain suit as I've enough layers to put on in the morning as it is.

I'll look into the paragons.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭beefjerky

A question of boots if I might!

I am looking for some good winter boots. They need to be waterproof and stay warm, my commute is 65km each way.

Currently looking at ALPINESTARS WEB GORE-TEX, anyone have any experience with these or alternatives?
    I don't really have the budget to go over €200, but my knowledge of gear is pretty limited so there is probably a load of options i am missing!

On the rest of the gear I have
    thermal top and longjohns from pennys (tenner each or something)
    normal fleece top
    buffalo jaguar jacket and bottoms
    water proofs from guineys in XXL size to fit over the gear (€16 for the top and bottoms)
    cheap balaclava from amazon, €2 or so
    Gloves are Richa cold protect gtx, pricy but they are savage

I'm sure we will see colder mornings but so far the body and hands have been 100% dry and warm even in the recent rain.

Feet are cold and wet :(

Beefjerky,

I have a pair of RST TrackTech Evo, I love them, I got caught in a thunderstorm in the middle of a wicklow gap spin, everything was soaked except calves down. They are also very comfortable

I didn't like Alpinestars boots, I had a pair of SMX 5 I believe they were, They were uncomfortable and I couldn't get a feel for the controls while wearing them, especially the rear brake!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

I bought the new RST Paragon IV textile pants in Bikeworld at the weekend - paid €195.00.

http://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/190329

£160/€203 online.

http://www.rst-moto.com/rst-pro-series-paragon-iv-textile-jean

£159.99 list price. Same price on Amazon.

I got 3x €5 vouchers when you spend €50, so if I was to buy the matching jacket for €245 I'd have gotten it for €230 plus another 4 vouchers.

Not only was the price better than online, but I have the added piece of mind that if I ever have a problem with them I can drive 15 minutes down the road and bring them back for replacement rather than have to faff around sending stuff to god knows where.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

Yeah the paragon stuff is nice gear.
    I'm looking at the Paragon jacket and pants as a christmas present from me to me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

i bought a pair of alpine stars goretex boots in about 2007 or 2008 and they are still waterproof to this very day. (i took about 3 years off the bike) but used them pretty much every day when I was on the bike. about 50km commute, warm, dry, comfy. Recomended.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭M450

Vikings wrote: »
    I bought the new RST Paragon IV textile pants in Bikeworld at the weekend - paid €195.00.

http://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/190329

£160/€203 online.

http://www.rst-moto.com/rst-pro-series-paragon-iv-textile-jean

£159.99 list price. Same price on Amazon.

I got 3x €5 vouchers when you spend €50, so if I was to buy the matching jacket for €245 I'd have gotten it for €230 plus another 4 vouchers.

Not only was the price better than online, but I have the added piece of mind that if I ever have a problem with them I can drive 15 minutes down the road and bring them back for replacement rather than have to faff around sending stuff to god knows where.
    Did it take much effort to get this price? I'd be very interested considering the reviews here

My current textiles are about a year and a half old and I've been putting up with the wet crotch for some time now, I have Rev-It Factor 2 pants. The Rev-It Jupiter jacket has been good although has recently started letting water in the arms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

That's the tag price. I was too caught up in finally buying a decent set of pants for myself that I didn't even ask for a discount. Bought them on Saturday and have used them to work and back in the monsoon weather these past few days. Including the surprise flooding that sent water over my knees.

Got to work/home bone dry each time.

Vikings wrote: »
    That's the tag price. I was too caught up in finally buying a decent set of pants for myself that I didn't even ask for a discount. Bought them on Saturday and have used them to work and back in the monsoon weather these past few days. Including the surprise flooding that sent water over my knees.

Got to work/home bone dry each time.
    Well I'm sold! Cheers

Ooh and they're about €160 here thanks to Leppla's 20% off post:
    http://www.thevisorshop.com/en/RST-PRO-SERIES-PARAGON-IV-1217-SHORT-LEG-JEAN-BLACK/m-14061.aspx

• Advertisement

Was in Bikeworld today, they didn't have the Paragon suit in my size so I tried on the Ventilator, I'm intrigued by the potential on warmer dry days being able to remove both the thermal layer and the waterproof layer leaving a mesh outer layer. The jacket is shorter than the Paragon but same as my current gear so I'm used to it, kinda sportier look, I like it.

http://www.rst-moto.com/rst-pro-series-ventilator-iv-wp-jacket

Anybody used these before? It's a bit cheaper than the Paragon but I assume it'll be as good waterproof wise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 183 ✭✭szatan84

I have the ventilator 3 pants, awesome piece of gear. With the lining out its better than jeans in summer and with all the lining in its fit for winter. Truly all-year-round piece of kit.

Advertisement