Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Updating an old house

Options
  • 11-11-2014 5:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭

We just went to look at a house last w/end not a bad price and nice area. It needs quite a bit of modernising but seems to be in good nick.

I have only seen it once but just did a quick look at what would need to be done I havent got any specific quotes on below this is approx what I think it may be would like to get a ball park figure from those in the know. We would have a certain budget to do up house if we decide to bid (I know we may not get it) but it's know harm having approx prices for a future budget on a doer upper.
    Anyway here would be things to do correct if over/under budgeted :)

New downstairs wc and upstairs bathroom suite 3k
    Rip up and lay down new carpet in 3 rooms 2k
    Install new stairs in hall? (very wide gaps inbetween) maybe can be filled up 1k
    Fit new kitchen 8k
    Knock down internal partiton wall from kitchen to utility room 3k (not sure if cement or plasterboard have to check again) Will cost more if supporting wall I have a feeling it's a supporting one so havent clue on price??
    Fitted wardrobes in 3 bedrooms 2500k
    Replace and fit kitchen lino 1k
    Take out fire and replace 500
    Strip wallpaper/repaint two rooms 2k
    New porch 3k
    Other bits and pieces - new lights, tidy up garden trim shrubs, paint etc 2k

Excuse the price ignorance as I said just want a ball park figure I figure if I had €35/40k budget would be ok?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 246 ✭✭RITwing

What I reckon
    miss choc wrote: »
    New downstairs wc and upstairs bathroom suite 3k 5-8k if tiling too
    Rip up and lay down new carpet in 3 rooms 2k
    Install new stairs in hall? (very wide gaps inbetween) maybe can be filled up 1k 3k
    Fit new kitchen 8k
    Knock down internal partiton wall from kitchen to utility room 3k (not sure if cement or plasterboard have to check again) Will cost more if supporting wall I have a feeling it's a supporting one so havent clue on price??
    Fitted wardrobes in 3 bedrooms 2.5k
    Replace and fit kitchen lino 1k 500
    Take out fire and replace 500 2-3k
    Strip wallpaper/repaint two rooms 2k
    New porch 3k up to 5k

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

New porch 3k up to 5k +

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭miss choc

Jeez bathroom suites have risen I remember seeing a sign at Killester bathrooms back in the day a whole suite fittied and tiled for €685 ah well can dream :)

Thanks for the price changes it's good to have an idea of prices just in case I was getting ripped off, any reccommendations of kitchen, bathroom, wardrobe companies would be great I know you pay for the best quality but wouldnt be able to afford high spec jobs on everything but dont want to cut corners on bad quality materials either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

My partner and I are I the process of doing up and old house at the moment. It depends where you are for some of the stuff- we're not in Dublin, so probably a bit cheaper here. We spent 5300 on kitchen and utility, and that's solid wood. Our kitchen isn't massive, but it's not poky either, so maybe you'd get away with less for your kitchen. Don't forget to budget for appliances, and finishing, like painting etc.

Also, have a look at things in the house like doors, skirting, architrave. Do they need to be replaced? When we were putting down kitchen tiles (I can't remember had you tiles on your original list btw), the tiler advised us to remove the skirting, so were doing the same in the other rooms now. That led to new architrave, doorframes and doors. It's money we hadn't originally planned on spending, but it makes a huge difference to the look of the finished rooms!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Kitchen Lino... I see now, you had accounted for flooring! Sorry!
    You'll save money by stripping wallpaper yourself- though it's an awful, awful job. I'd say you've over budgeted a bit for painting? Maybe??
    Check the condition of the walls under the wallpaper. We had to get ours skimmed.

• Advertisement

Would be great to have a family member in the know my hubby is a techie so knows zero DIY :(

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭650gs

2 grand to strip wall paper and paint two rooms wow is all I can say wow wow wow

What so higher or lower than a two ;)

Much much much lower

Well that makes a change considering everything so dear nowadays. As I said everything is a guess in terms of building/renovating a house haven't started on research just looking at ball park figures

• Advertisement

Guys last time I saw house the attic door was locked I saw it today and saw that the roof was leaking just wondering two scenarios how much roughly would it be to
    repair/replace few tiles if this is the case or
    replace roof??
    I still like house but just want to see the increase in budget.

It would also need a new extension roof as it was a 1950's house and they kinda did a steel frame and put in the transparent reinforced plastic sheets for light instead of a proper extension with skylights dont know how much that would cost either.

There is a shallow wall between kitchen/utility room kitchen/dining so would be cheaper to knock.
    It's a mix of single/double glazed but tbh windows are in bad need of treatment so pvc replacement may be better

A lot is cosmetic changes in time but my concerns are cost on roofing, wiring etc

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

miss choc wrote: »
    Guys last time I saw house the attic door was locked I saw it today and saw that the roof was leaking just wondering two scenarios how much roughly would it be to
    repair/replace few tiles if this is the case or
    replace roof??
    I still like house but just want to see the increase in budget.

It would also need a new extension roof as it was a 1950's house and they kinda did a steel frame and put in the transparent reinforced plastic sheets for light instead of a proper extension with skylights dont know how much that would cost either.

There is a shallow wall between kitchen/utility room kitchen/dining so would be cheaper to knock.
    It's a mix of single/double glazed but tbh windows are in bad need of treatment so pvc replacement may be better

A lot is cosmetic changes in time but my concerns are cost on roofing, wiring etc
    Allow 7k for roofs & 5k for rewire

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

We are in the process of renovating a 4-bed semi at the moment (an absolute dive when we bought it). Basically needed complete gutting. We have had quotes for most things now, so hopefully this will give you a bit of an idea.

Full re-wire - 5,000
    Re-plumbing/heating system - 5,000
    Knock supporting wall between kitchen/dining room, close up current back door and supply & fit french doors - 4,000
    New Fascias/Soffits/Gutters - 1,100
    Replace some roof tiles and chimney flashing (this was causing a leak into the attic for us, maybe it is the same as your situation) - 600
    New kitchen (Ikea) - 6,000
    New Bathroom Suites - 1,000
    Tiling 53 sq yards (1 bathroom, 1 small ensuite and 1 tiny cloakroom) - 2,000
    Laminate Flooring throughout - 2,000

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bmm

Regarding IKEA kitchen, beware. I purchased a large kitchen from IKEA and then got a guy who was supposed to be a carpenter. It took him weeks to even assemble it as each drawer was composed of lots of parts ( it was a large kitchen and utility ) . I was paying the guy by the hour. The kitchen cost 6k and the labour was another 5k . The finished product was terrible , ends not square, uneven , bad finish, it just looked really badly put together ! I'm stuck with it now but I would love to throw it out and start again :o

Have fitted lots of Ikea kitchens and to be honest there as easy as any other to assemble in fact the instructions are the best you get, you dont get any normally as for the corners not being square etc I would call Ikea.
    Then again I think the problem might be with the chippie

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

bmm wrote: »
    Regarding IKEA kitchen, beware. I purchased a large kitchen from IKEA and then got a guy who was supposed to be a carpenter. It took him weeks to even assemble it as each drawer was composed of lots of parts ( it was a large kitchen and utility ) . I was paying the guy by the hour. The kitchen cost 6k and the labour was another 5k . The finished product was terrible , ends not square, uneven , bad finish, it just looked really badly put together ! I'm stuck with it now but I would love to throw it out and start again :o

I'd imagine Ikea themselves would have fitted it for less than half that and their installation would have carried a guarantee.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bmm

I'd imagine Ikea themselves would have fitted it for less than half that and their installation would have carried a guarantee.

Purchased before ikea offered fitting.

Some chippie ha ha

Advertisement