Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortgage rates - fixed or variable?

Options
  • 11-11-2014 5:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

hi i bought a house last year and fixed it with an aib 1 year fixed.
    moving forward what would be recommended fixing again or variable.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Eldarion

Depends on your personal preferences really. Both have their benefits.

Fixed gives you an exact amount coming out every month guaranteed for the Fixed Term.

Variable allows you make early repayments without penalties.

Your current LTV also comes into question now, currently the fixed rates on offer are actually lower than some of the variable rates.

If you want some straight advice though I really don't think you can go wrong fixing at 3.8% or 3.9%. That being said, the bank is offering these rates for a reason, it could be because they are expecting variable rates to drop even more going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 d13

aib fixed rates are much higher than 3.8or 3.9
    in my case there isnt much difference in fixing or variable.
    ill prob just fix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Woodville56

d13 wrote: »
    ill prob just fix.

Have you checked AIB rates recently ? Fixed rates are to be reduced to 3.8% for 2-3 yrs & @ 3.9% for 5 yr fixed. Currently AIB variable (LTV 50-80%) is @4.05%. Thinking of fixing for 2 or 3 yrs at these rates myself !

• Registered Users Posts: 23,535 ✭✭✭✭ted1

d13 wrote: »
    ill prob just fix.

no there movign to 3.8% for 4 years of 3.9% for 5 years, cheaper than the low LTV rates

Advertisement