Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Helmet suggestion

• 11-11-2014 6:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭

My dad has the BMW GS 650 in the black/white/red colours. I want to get him a nice helmet to go with it, for christmas. At the moment he just has the normal helmet with visor that flips up, probably around 10 years old.
    I was thinking something like this:
    http://www.motorcycleshop.ie/gmac-glide-satin-black-3069-p.asp

Does anyone know of shops in Dublin that sells similar? Parents are visiting between christmas and new years and would like to walk into a shop that has them and get him to try one on to check the size and if he likes those types of helmets before spending that much. Anywhere doing them cheaper than the e95 on that website?

Thanks for the help.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

Don't buy a cheap helmet! How much is your dads head worth? I'd be looking in the 300+ range before I'd even consider a helmet. Especially a flip up helmet like that. If the catch breaks in a crash it could cause a whole of of damage.

Look at shoei or Schubert.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Pique

Agree with TBi.

You can get bargains if you look, but anything sub €300 needs to be a half-price offer or just don't bother.

Anyway, as he's a GS rider, maybe he want's to go all Charlie & Ewan on it and so here's one that suits.
    https://www.louis.de/en/artikel/x-lite-x-551-adventure/215059?filter_gender=HU&list=23914877

X-Lite are a top brand, and maybe if you could get a sibling to go in on it with you if might be do-able.

Even if you can't afford the whole thing, tell him you'll give him a hundred bucks ONLY if he spends it on a helmet and he can make up the rest himself.

Nice thought anyway, but don't buy him one worth less than €300. He's only got one head. Protect it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I'd never buy someone a helmet without them trying it on as everyone's head is different, he'd really need to try it on for size & fit.

Btw, the most expensive helmet I've ever bought for myself was €140.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,087 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Bought a Shoei recently on http://www.fc-moto.de/en_GB they had a sale on and i got about 40% off the price inc delivery.

Id recommend getting his head size from existing helmet that should be a good guide. Dont scrimp on helmet price, you may be replacing an expensive quality one with something inferior.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

Aside, are manufacturers generally the same size across all their lines? i.e. an XL in a Shoei is the same size no matter what model?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

gerrowadat wrote: »
    Aside, are manufacturers generally the same size across all their lines? i.e. an XL in a Shoei is the same size no matter what model?

No, not at all. I tried on three brands, and in two I was a large, but one a medium was nearly too large. It does vary by brand.

He's asking if one Shoei model in L is the same as another Shoei model in L.

I would think so, yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭batman_oh

Pique wrote: »
    He's asking if one Shoei model in L is the same as another Shoei model in L.

I would think so, yes.

Not always. The shells are different across the range and over different years. I tried on a Medium Shoei NXR and it didnt fit nicely at all. It is the replacement for the XR1100 which i have and fits perfectly. The Large in the NXR was too big. The result was me buying a medium HJC RPHA carbon Lorenzo.

The most important thing to do is make sure it fits properly. I have had 3 AGV helmets - a GP tech, Ti-tech and XR2 and all are different sizes!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Chisum

its not always about the price check out the SHARP ratings give you good idea on the lid

Chisum wrote: »
    its not always about the price check out the SHARP ratings give you good idea on the lid

Oh god... don't start the SHARP ratings argument! When a Shoei gets 3-4 stars and a cheapo €100 helmet gets 5 stars then you know something is wrong with the test!

• Advertisement

Which Helmet got 5 star ? might buy that one.
    Imo SHARP rating gives you good indication of what your putting on your head more important make sure it fits right.
    Shoei are good Lid but not everyone are 5 star

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

TBi wrote: »
    Oh god... don't start the SHARP ratings argument! When a Shoei gets 3-4 stars and a cheapo €100 helmet gets 5 stars then you know something is wrong with the test!

... or there's something wrong with Shoei.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭blade1

An MT thunder at £49.99 gets 2 stars more than an Arai Condor!:eek::eek:

Never heard of MT thunder must look that one up thanks
    Still think SHARP test is best out there until there something better to go will listen to it
    If anyone knows other tests done links etc pass them on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭blade1

blade1 wrote: »
    An MT thunder at £49.99 gets 2 stars more than an Arai Condor!:eek::eek:
    Never heard of MT thunder must look that one up thanks

Either had I!

How can that be an indication something is wrong with the test?.

I'm just looking at the safety rating on the helmet I wore today, its a Nitro 'Hellrazor' ~ I bought it because it was cheap and had skulls :p

It has a safety rating ECER22-05 and here's what I found about that rating;
    Developed by the rather lengthily named United Nations Economic Commission for Europe, this is the most common helmet certification internationally, required by over 50 countries worldwide. It is approved for all competition events by AMA, WERA, FIM, CCS, Formula USA and the big one – MotoGP. It, much like the DOT standard, favours a more impact-absorbent helmet allowing a maximum of 275g’s (the ECE R22-05 anvil is either flat or “kerb shaped” depending on the test). The ECE R22-05 is arguably the most up-to-date helmet certification standard, it’s wide use in a variety of high-level motorcycle racing classes is reassuring to many. The ECE R22-05 has more in common with the DOT standard than either the Snell M2005 or M2010 standard, an ECE R22-05 certified helmet are likely to pass the DOT test and vice-versa.

The build quality is fine, its a fiberglass composit weave shell. Fits beautifully, isn't noisy meh it does the business for me :) (cost me €140 in Bikeworld).

The helmet I use in work is an Arai Vector 2 costing roughly four times as much and I've as much confidence in the Nitro to be perfectly honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Mr Sheen!

The Sharp test proves how helmets perform in certain circumstances.
    If people are confident that they are gonna crash a certain way then I would say deffo go by the sharp test rating!!
    IMO when I am buying a lid UI "refer to the sharp test rating" as well as online reviews, manufactures reputations etc.

And a big one that a friend of mine said to me once before and I always follow is . . "Just have a look at what the road racers and moto gp lads are wearing" . You can be dam sure there is not to many duchini or nitro lids going around.

I currently have an Arai, have had a ducini and shark in the past and the other half has a shark.

P.S the other half has a shark lid and not a pet shark!!

leppla wrote: »

And a big one that a friend of mine said to me once before and I always follow is . . "Just have a look at what the road racers and moto gp lads are wearing" . You can be dam sure there is not to many duchini or nitro lids going around.

And thats the idea in supporting teams with your gear, it filters down to units selling off the shelve.

Honestly and I couldn't care less if people wear helmets or not, but I wouldn't let MotoGP influence my choice.

How can that be an indication something is wrong with the test?.

Because the test only focuses on certain elements and cheaper manufacturers make it pass this certain test at the expense of overall safety?

Anyway no point arguing with someone with your viewpoint. It's your head, wear what you want. I'll just pass on the info and let people make their own decision

Because the test only focuses on certain elements and cheaper manufacturers make it pass this certain test at the expense of overall safety?

Anyway no point arguing with someone with your viewpoint. It's your head, wear what you want. I'll just pass on the info and let people make their own decision

Do cheap knickers twist easier than the more expensive knickers?.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Mr Sheen!

And thats the idea in supporting teams with your gear, it filters down to units selling off the shelve.

Honestly and I couldn't care less if people wear helmets or not, but I wouldn't let MotoGP influence my choice.

I see your point with the moto gp riders and sponsorship deals etc however the road racing seen is the same no nitro or duchinni or lidl lids worm there. Some lads in the road racing struggle to pay for fuel and tyres for the bikes and don't car about fancy paint jobs that cost a fortune.
    If a €20 helmet from lidl was as save as an arai surely these lads would be wearing them and saving money that could be sent making there machines better and faster.

Is the SHARP test still the only test out there
    Point taken by Leppla with the moto gp and road racers
    I still don't see any problem with the test and cheaper manufactures making Lids pass any test has to be a good thing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Helmets are function specific, Lidl lids are designed for street use not racing.
    No tearoffs, or flat visors so not suitable for racing.
    Helmets are very good these days with the standard being raised by the requirement to conform to certain standards like ECE22.05.
    What riders wear depends on what kind of sponsorship deal the manufacturer pays the rider.
    Airoh sponsors riders in GP does that make them good?
    Nolan same, Vemar, HJC not everyone wants an Arai or Shoei helmet.
    Cyril Despres wears an LS2 helmet made in China does that make it a POS?
    I think not.

leppla wrote: »
    I see your point with the moto gp riders and sponsorship deals etc however the road racing seen is the same no nitro or duchinni or lidl lids worm there. Some lads in the road racing struggle to pay for fuel and tyres for the bikes and don't car about fancy paint jobs that cost a fortune.
    If a €20 helmet from lidl was as save as an arai surely these lads would be wearing them and saving money that could be sent making there machines better and faster.

I get you too, and if I was racing I'd do the same for one reason. I find my Arai shell thinner than the cheaper lids, ie I'd find it difficult to lie on the tank with this Nitro and see forward whereas I can do it with the work lid (Arai).. The ventilation on the Arai is much better too, but safety wise I'd have complete confidence in either protecting me ~ more than once expensive brand helmets have failed on riders.

As I said earlier I don't care what people wear, or not ~ ffs I wear an open face lid most of the year (except in this cold inclement weather) but my own opinion is that an expensive lid is not necessarily safer.

Helmets are function specific, Lidl lids are designed for street use not racing.
    No tearoffs, or flat visors so not suitable for racing.
    Helmets are very good these days with the standard being raised by the requirement to conform to certain standards like ECE22.05.

Excellent well said
    Also agree with Makikomi just cause it costs more doesn't mean its safer

Is the SHARP test still the only test out there

Nope, apart from the ECE and DOT standards, there's also the Snell tests from California.

Yeah knew about ECE and DOT
    Snell tests will look that up thanks

Advertisement