Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car Warranty

Options
  • 11-11-2014 7:32pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,949 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

Having an issue with a 3td party warranty I purchased for my car.
    Basically my car broke down and the part that broke was specified on my warranty.
    When the garage were doing the repair it turned out that a related part had to be replaced also to get the car running again.

The garage say the repair is one complete job, ie can't repair the issie by only replacing the first part, but the warranty are only covering the part specified on their policy.

Anyone deal with a suitation like this before?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

Can you be more specific. What part was it and how long have you got the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Did the insured part damage the other part, or vice-versa, or did they fail independently? What does your warranty state about consequential damage caused by an insured part or to an insured part?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,949 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

emeldc wrote: »
    Can you be more specific. What part was it and how long have you got the car.

It was an ECU, the car has two modules that make it up a master and Slave bit,
    they will cover the master and not the slave.
    slimjimmc wrote: »
    Did the insured part damage the other part, or vice-versa, or did they fail independently? What does your warranty state about consequential damage caused by an insured part or to an insured part?

NO It didn;t damage it, but due to the Master failing the Slave bit had to be repalced.

Here are the bits from my policy I think are relevant:

DEFINITIONS:

Indemnity- The sole purpose of this Policy is to indemnify the Extended Warranty Policy Holder
    in the event of Mechanical Breakdown of the insured Vehicle as stated on the Warranty
    Certificate. The Insurer’s liability shall be only the actual failed parts required to return the
    Vehicle to its pre-claim condition.

What is covered by Your Policy
    The sole purpose of this Policy is to indemnify You against the unforeseen Mechanical Breakdown
    of the specifically listed parts under the level of cover You have chosen within the booklet.
    The
    Policy type, duration and maximum Indemnity will be those selected and as stated on the
    Warranty Certificate. No claim for payment can be released until the Administrator has received
    the Policy premium in full.

Covered Components

ECU
    Main engine electronic control unit

General Exclusions - Warranty

Damage to uninsured components or any consequential damage or loss.

20. No liability will be accepted for consequential damage on, or caused by parts not specifically
    listed in this document,
    faults on the Vehicle at the time of purchase, attributable to the faulty
    previous repair or servicing of the Vehicle, use of an incorrect grade or type of fuel or oil, faults
    associated with routine maintenance or servicing or progressive failures.

Are you speaking about the master and slave cylinders in the clutch. If you are they have nothing to do with the ECU.
    If the master cylinder has failed is is normal procedure to replace the slave cylinder as well, as the extra pressure from the new master cylinder usually causes the slave cylinder to fail anyway meaning another unnecessary breakdown.

Nope, master and Slave ECU in the Engine.

• Advertisement

mik_da_man wrote: »
    Nope, master and Slave ECU in the Engine.

Oh right, I'm with you now. As it's electronic it could be that a new part would not 'talk' to the older part. Is it a VW.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Triangle

under Irish law, if you bought the car off a business, then they have a certain duty and your consumer rights stand. the warranty does not remove these rights.

I recently bought a car and a part went soon after buying it. the 3rd party warranty wouldn't fix it but the garage I bought it off had to fix it.
    hope this helps

Oh right, I'm with you now. As it's electronic it could be that a new part would not 'talk' to the older part. Is it a VW.

Yep, it's an Audi

Triangle wrote: »
    under Irish law, if you bought the car off a business, then they have a certain duty and your consumer rights stand. the warranty does not remove these rights.

I recently bought a car and a part went soon after buying it. the 3rd party warranty wouldn't fix it but the garage I bought it off had to fix it.
    hope this helps

Cheers, I have the car a year and a bit, bought the 3rd party warranty when the dealer warranty expired. The car is 7 years old.

• Advertisement

Yeah that's the issue.
    My car is a V8, one ECU for each bank.

Advertisement