Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DIY Cover for a splint on dogs leg

• 11-11-2014 7:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭

Dog broke a toe and vet has splinted it and covered with bandage.
    Any ideas what to cover it with to prevent it getting wet and dirty.
    Hardwearing and fexible preferably

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Hmmmm....:)
    It might make no difference, but I always only "waterproofed" leg bandages for trips out, taking the cover off when the dog came back in, in case it impeded the little bit of air that might be circulating under the bandage! I dunno, I was always afraid of condensation and dampness under the waterproofing, if you see what I mean?
    I just put a plastic bag over the bandage, and used Vetwrap to keep it on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭phelixoflaherty

Yes I want remove it when indoors.
    Its just we go through woods n ****e and she's a bit energetic

Yes I want remove it when indoors.
    Its just we go through woods n ****e and she's a bit energetic

Yep, you have my every sympathy!
    You need to go a good bit beyond the bandage with your plastic bag and Vetwrap (sticky bandage tape from the chemist might do the job, although if it gets very wet in can lose stickiness, unlike the Vetwrap)
    I'm sure there'll be others along with creative ideas though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

My vets always give us drip bags, with the top cut off, you put some slits near the top, and thread a strip of a bandage through, which you can tie around the leg. You need to take it off when back inside, as condensation forms inside it, which obviously will make the bandage wet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I made one out of an old pair of waterproofs when Bailey had his last op that did the job. When we were using it I put a plastic lunch bag over the bandage first and then the cover - the bag made it easier to slide the cover on and off and also gave extra protection in case the cover wore down. Drip bags aren't great for long term use imo - they wear so easily (especially if there's a splint) and can annoy the dog if they're scuffing off the ground - that mightn't be a problem if you have grass but we don't. Also depending on how bulky the dressing is the drip bag may not provide enough cover.

The photo isn't great but you'll get the idea (I took a screen grab of a youtube video of his recovery lol :p)

328096.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

what about a pair of dog booties? I got a neoprene pair for my dog who had a growth on his pad - slip the boot on and velcro strap on top to hold in place - with the splint you would have to get a larger one but you could bring your dog into the pet store to try one on

aonb wrote: »
    what about a pair of dog booties? I got a neoprene pair for my dog who had a growth on his pad - slip the boot on and velcro strap on top to hold in place - with the splint you would have to get a larger one but you could bring your dog into the pet store to try one on

I wondered this too, but could you get one to fit over a bandaged-up foot? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

OP didnt mention what breed of dog he has - you would have to go up a couple of sizes to get it over the splint all right.

Im handy in the DIY dept :cool: - took an old waterproof anorak & sewed the sleeve into a 'sock' to cover our rescued collies leg after an op - looked so crap but kept his bandages dry. (Used the rest of the anorak to make two doggie raincoats for the terriers - were so crap looking I used to be embarrassed if anyone saw us out walking on a wet day :D but it reduced the wet fur smell when we got home!)

aonb wrote: »
    Im handy in the DIY dept :cool: - took an old waterproof anorak & sewed the sleeve into a 'sock' to cover our rescued collies leg after an op - looked so crap but kept his bandages dry. (Used the rest of the anorak to make two doggie raincoats for the terriers - were so crap looking I used to be embarrassed if anyone saw us out walking on a wet day :D but it reduced the wet fur smell when we got home!)

Lol, I used a black bin-liner on my big GSD before, a hole for her head and tied a belt around her to keep it on. She didn't seem to mind too much :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85 ✭✭keaves

DBB wrote: »
    Lol, I used a black bin-liner on my big GSD before, a hole for her head and tied a belt around her to keep it on. She didn't seem to mind too much :D

This made me laugh, have a gsd myself and looking at the weather now I think were going to steal you're idea!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭phelixoflaherty

Thanks for all the replys.
    Am using drip bags.

She got a bit of an infection around tendons because bandage was to tight and causing skin to rub off plaster.

Not a pretty sight and hope vet sorts it this time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Am using drip bags.

She got a bit of an infection around tendons because bandage was to tight and causing skin to rub off plaster.

Oh that happened to Bailey too on his second leg! I was forever patching up the splint to try and cushion the edges - they asked me in the vets if I was a nurse because I'd done such a good job lol! :cool::P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

Am using drip bags.

Nasty stuff. Would sugru help at all? It's an air-cured silicone paste which adheres to almost anything so you could put a bit around the top of the plaster and cover the exposed sugru with clingwrap till it has cured to prevent it from sticking to her fur.

Advertisement