Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Microchip question

• 11-11-2014 8:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hello,
    We are planning to emigrate early next year, and I'm trying to complete an import permit application for the dogs.
    I'm being asked for the Microchip type for them. I have the following options: Avid, Destron, Trovan, Other ISO Compatible.
    Both dogs are microchipped, but I have no idea how I can find out what type it is.
    They are both in the Animark database.
    Does anybody know where I could find this information?
    Thanks a lot!

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Jatie wrote: »
    Hello,
    We are planning to emigrate early next year, and I'm trying to complete an import permit application for the dogs.
    I'm being asked for the Microchip type for them. I have the following options: Avid, Destron, Trovan, Other ISO Compatible.
    Both dogs are microchipped, but I have no idea how I can find out what type it is.
    They are both in the Animark database.
    Does anybody know where I could find this information?
    Thanks a lot!

I *think* Animark use Trovan, but don't quote me on that :o
    Give them a call or email to ask them, they're very helpful, and I'm sure you'll not be the first to ask them this question :)
    http://www.animark.ie/index.php?option=com_contact&view=contact&id=1&Itemid=18

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Jatie

Thanks DBB!
    I had a look on their website, but couldn't find anything.
    I'll give them a call tomorrow. I was finally sitting down this evening to get this permit application sent off, confident I'd get it done this evening - should've know it wasn't going to be straightforward :-)

Hi,
    Just an update in case someone needs it in future.
    I rang Animark and they were indeed very helpful.
    The microchip type for Animark is Datamars.
    One of our dogs has two microchips (when she came to the rescue center, her original microchip didn't scan, so they inserted another one - we only found out she had 2 when we had the vet checking her microchip), so one is from Animark and the other one we had no idea, but it starts with 981.
    You can check the manufacturer (microchip type) under this link:
    ---.service-icar.com/Manufacturers_DB/manufacturer_codes_main_complete.asp
    (I cannot post a link, so replaced www by ---)
    So, you basically check the first 3 numbers of the microchip, and then look it up in the list.
    981: Datamars
    941: Felixcan S.L.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Alex.lennon

How much does it cost to microchip a dog?

I'm not sure how much it costs to microchip a dog, but I think it's around €30-€40.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Some charities and vets are doing free or reduced fee microchipping.

Check with the vets in your area and google free microchipping for more info.

Advertisement