Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Mixed Bag

Options
  • 11-11-2014 8:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭

Hey! A run down on the situation: I'm 21 and weigh 13 stone 12 pounds. Looking to up the fitness and lose weight, returning to former glory days. I'm starting with 5k's. The eating and nutrition side of stuff is now in order, so I'll be keeping you lovely people informed with how everything else goes.

Starting from the absolute rock bottom, these are my goals, running wise:

Run 5k without walking: Done.
    Run 5k in under 30 mins
    " " " " 28 mins
    " " " " 26 mins

Weight wise:

13 - 7
    13 - 0
    12 - 7

The whole weight logging craic might have some running purists rolling the eyes, c'est la vie! :) The goals might be a bit ambitious, but ambitious is good. I haven't put together a Monday - Sunday training plan yet as I'm only feeling my way, I'll have a better idea after the week. I do know there'll be 5k runs and 10k cycles in there, making proper use of local ring roads :)

That's the story, I guess!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Copa Mundial

11/11/'14

One local ring road is 5.4km long, which I'm calling 5k. I ran it today without having to walk any of it. Having ignored my fitness for so long, that was a little achievement. I didn't time myself, but looking at the clock before and after says that it was ~33 minutes. Hamstrings a bit raw during, but feeling fresh as a daisy and very positive now that it's done.

Not a bad start at all, I'll keep ye updated :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Best of luck with the running goals and the log and the weight goals! Will you do a 5k race soon to see where you're currently at time-wise? Do you have a Parkrun near you?

Ososlo wrote: »
    Best of luck with the running goals and the log and the weight goals! Will you do a 5k race soon to see where you're currently at time-wise? Do you have a Parkrun near you?

Thanks! :) I'd never heard of the Parkrun before, and after having a look I'm right between two, one's 1hr 15 minutes away, the other is 1hr 18 :( it seems like a really good thing to try though, so I might look into doing one soon! :)

13/11/'14

After resting yesterday, I'm going to do 45 minutes on the exercise bike this evening. It's a proper vintage 90's model, but it'll get my off my arse and get the blood pumping which is the name of the game :D as well as that it'll keep me ticking over til I do another 5k run tomorrow. Saturday is my day for weighing in, and I've been eating pretty well so hopefully I'll get to drag the scales down a bit from last weeks 13-12 (even if it is just water weight... ;) )

If ye have any ideas or tips I might benefit from, fire them down. I'm a proper newb in this line and I'm only feeling my way into it, so anything like Parkrun or that craic that might give me something else to work towards would be well appreciated :)

14/11/'14

Back from my latest 5k run, my first timed one. 30:26.9. I'm pretty happy with that, not half bad for a fatty like me! :) knowing the clock was ticking had me tipping along nicely, maybe a bit too quick as the last km was a right struggle :D I'll be weighing myself first thing tomorrow morning, which will hopefully put an even more positive spin on a pretty good first week :)

What I learned today:

1. Pace yourself!
    2. Taking seconds/minutes off your time is addictive... :D

Advertisement