Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy/lactose free toddler milk?

Options
  • 11-11-2014 10:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

One of those annoying dilemmas:

Our 9 months old is still being breastfed but i am desperately trying to get him onto a bottle at this stage. He doesnt really tolerate dairy all that well (wind, cramps, nasty poos) so i'm a little lost at what to do - he hates the lactose free formula (sma), he also hates the soy stuff (both of those make me gag as well, vile stuff), but i cant't really give him lactose free normal milk in his bottle (i presume?), although he does get that with his porridge. Also the lactose free normal milk is really low in fat, but i can't find full fat lactose free normal milk ( i am not a fan of low fat stuff for kids).

Any advice or suggestions? Where can i find full fat lactose free milk, and what can i put in his bottle that he'll actually drink?

:o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

Sorry I don't know much about all this but What about goats milk?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

Also a no go, he likes the taste but doesnt really tolerate all that well, also not sure if i can put goats milk in his bottle?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

galah wrote: »
    Also a no go, he likes the taste but doesnt really tolerate all that well, also not sure if i can put goats milk in his bottle?

Did you try nanny care? http://www.sammccauley.com/Mobile/Product/Nanny-Care-Goat-Milk-Powder/19118/2230.5#ctl00_ctl00__nestedContent__mainpageContent_ProductFamilyDetailsView1_liProductDetails

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Rose35

Have you had him checked out properly to see if he is lactose intolerant or having an allergy to dairy? As far as I know
    these are two different things, my son had an intolerance to lactose and took to the SMA lactose free formula well but we
    had him diagnosed by a consultant. I would think your son at only 9 months is a little young yet to abandon the idea of finding a suitable formula for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭mapaca

Lactose intolerance and cow's milk/dairy allergy are two different things. You need to see your doctor to establish which one your baby has before you can be sure which formula to use.

• Advertisement

I understand that allergy and intolerance are different, however, I have tried sufficient amounts of different formulas to know that he doesnt tolerate dairy well, no matter what you want to call it (not sure what a doctor will do differently?) - he has wind, tummy cramps and nasty poos when he tries the conventional formulas such as sma or aptamil, so I don't want to force them on him, dont really need to pay 60 quid for that. :o He doesnt have severe reactions, just enough for me not to want to give dairy to him. (He pukes when i give him yoghurt tho, havent even dared to try cheese yet).

He seems to tolerate the lactose free formula, but just doesnt like the taste it seems (cant blame him).

I have a breastfeeding 'deadline' in three months time due to a work trip, so by then I need to have something in place - but what? Hes happy with the lactose free milk in his porridge etc, but i would be happier if it was full fat....

I understand that allergy and intolerance are different, however, I have tried sufficient amounts of different formulas to know that he doesnt tolerate dairy well, no matter what you want to call it (not sure what a doctor will do differently?) - he has wind, tummy cramps and nasty poos when he tries the conventional formulas such as sma or aptamil, so I don't want to force them on him, dont really need to pay 60 quid for that. :o He doesnt have severe reactions, just enough for me not to want to give dairy to him. (He pukes when i give him yoghurt tho, havent even dared to try cheese yet).

He seems to tolerate the lactose free formula, but just doesnt like the taste it seems (cant blame him).

I have a breastfeeding 'deadline' in three months time due to a work trip, so by then I need to have something in place - but what? Hes happy with the lactose free milk in his porridge etc, but i would be happier if it was full fat....

Maybe it is just a dairy thing because he can't tolerate yoghurt.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Enfamil olac is what we use.
    Talk to the PHN for recommendations.
    Do not give him Soya formula with out medical guidance. it can have negative effects later in life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

yoghurt doesn't have lactose, so it's weird that he can't take that but can take lactose free milk?

i'd start expressing breastmilk and freezing it for the work trip, and get him on the waiting list for getting that properly diagnosed.

Yeah, expressing is another option though not the most convenient one (i'd hate to think what will happen if hubby runs out, i'll be gone for 7 days...)! The yoghurt thing is weird alright, granted i havent tried yoghurt for a while now, maybe he has grown out if it, but id rather not find out. He also reacts when I drink too much milk or eat yoghurt tho, mainly with fussiness and wind.

How does the doc test for intolerance/allergy? I'd say by the time we actually get to see a consultant in the public system this baby will probably graduating from college?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

just stumbled on this thread, but I'm lactose intolerant and I use lactase drops made for babies when I want to have Ice cream or yoghurt and It definitely works. You get them in boots for about €13, colief and lactease I think they're called. You just drop them in the milk and leave it settle. It contains the enzyme that you need to break down lactose

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

I'm not sure if this is helpful but my phn advised stage 1 formula as anything else could upset the baby's tummy having been breastfed. Just throwing it out there in case you tried a formula for an older age.
    Expressing is a good option but you'll be facing this again in a few months anyway so why not fork out 60 quid for doctors advice on getting seen by a consultant and how to tackle any issues with food going forward? As you said yourself a lot of milk substitutes lack the fat and other nutrients babies require so perhaps best to give them under medical guidance.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

How about something like Koko, it's a dairyfree 'milk' made mainly from coconut milk and white grape extract. It tastes pretty nice, isn't too expensive and can be bought in Dunnes, it's in the same area as the gluten free breads. http://www.kokodairyfree.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

iguana wrote: »
    How about something like Koko, it's a dairyfree 'milk' made mainly from coconut milk and white grape extract. It tastes pretty nice, isn't too expensive and can be bought in Dunnes, it's in the same area as the gluten free breads. http://www.kokodairyfree.com/

This says it has fat and calcium levels that match semi skimmed milk. I wouldn't use it without speaking to a doctor personally. It sounds delicious though might purchase some for myself :)

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭mapaca

We used Nutramigen formula, it's specially for babies with cow's milk allergy, might be worth a try. It's expensive, and tastes odd, but it worked for us. You can usually only get it in pharmacies. I still think it would be worth getting him tested for allergies though. There could be other foods he's sensitive to as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭sari

Get expressing I would say but by the time you go lo will be 1 and should have a good grip of solids. I know the amount I breastfeed at 1 had decreased a good bit. I'd say leave as much ebm as you can and I'm sure they will be fine with that and solids. You will still have a milk supply when you come back so can go back to breastfeeding

Thanks everyone! In a weird twist of events he's starting to take more of the lactose free formula - so i'll keep at it for now. I think it helped that he was at home with daddy, and i wasnt around when it was time for the bottle, so he couldnt get any funny ideas :pac: (usually i would be the one trying with the bottle...)

I'd still like to find full fat lactose free milk though, so if anyone spots that please let me know!

Again thanks for all the input!

Thanks everyone! In a weird twist of events he's starting to take more of the lactose free formula - so i'll keep at it for now. I think it helped that he was at home with daddy, and i wasnt around when it was time for the bottle, so he couldnt get any funny ideas :pac: (usually i would be the one trying with the bottle...)

I'd still like to find full fat lactose free milk though, so if anyone spots that please let me know!

Again thanks for all the input!

Galah do you mean full fat lactose free adult milk? I can only ever find the avonmore one and have yet to find even an own brand version :mad:

Yes, exactly, full fat adult lactose free milk, for cereals etc. I only find avonmore as well, and that's low fat (dumb invention...:mad:).

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭WhatsGoingOn2

Have you tried Aptamil Pepti 2?
    Only available from chemists.

• Advertisement
Advertisement