Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Am I too big for jeans??

• 11-11-2014 10:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭

Put on almost 3 stone in a year due to medication I am on and cannot come off at this time. I've worn tracksuit bottoms every day almost for a year. Have several pairs of them now. I'd love a pair of jeans that I could wear long tops over to hide my tummy. I'm sick to death of wearing tracksiit bottoms everyday. I've gone from a size 10 to a size 16. Would appreciate advice on the best style to wear, obviously navy or black and won't break the bank willing to spend up to €50. Please! And if you could point me in the direction of dressier tops etc. everything I see in shops I like seems to be a size 12 x

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,186 ✭✭✭dee_mc

You're not too big for jeans! When I was a size 16 I found nice jeans in New Look and Dorothy Perkins. I've also had some really flattering ones from Tesco, but their summer ones are nicer than their winter ones in my opinion. If you do decide to splash out I have heard great things about ones called something like 'Not your daughter's jeans', not only from older ladies but from girls carrying a few extra pounds around the waist and hips.
    Re tops, Street One do some lovely long-line tops in dressy enough styles, good prices, stocked in a lot of boutiques around the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭nhg

NYDJ are great but come with a tag of €120! (Size 16 is American 12 in them) I wear them all the time, my preference is bootcut but have the straight ones at the min but will buy bootcut the next time as I personally prefer the shape. M&S do nice stretch jeans too.

I find that if I don't wear jeans all the time & start wearing jog pants/training gear for a few days that I start to expand very quickly!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166 ✭✭miss-p

You probably just need to get used to dressing your new body shape. 16 is definitely not too big to wear jeans, or dresses or anything for that matter! I'd personally go for high waisted jeans (skinny or bootcut depending on your personal preference), I find they give a bit more support for under tops and you don't have to worry about a muffin top. I got great high waisted jeans in new look before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

I was just about to suggest New Look - love their high waisted jeans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Excellent I will go into new look and look for high waisted jeans. They usually run a size bigger dont they? I remember being size 12 and I could wear a 10 from new look so maybe I'll get away with a 14. Seriously doubt it though. My main problem is tummy. Just thinking it's probably 18 months since I bought jeans!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

dee_mc wrote: »
    If you do decide to splash out I have heard great things about ones called something like 'Not your daughter's jeans', not only from older ladies but from girls carrying a few extra pounds around the waist and hips.

I have a pair of these, that I picked up in the US. Great fit and flattering when you have a few extra pounds. Size 16 is definitely not too big for jeans, and it would be good to get out of the tracksuit bottoms.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭sassyj

Marks & Spencer have some really nice jeans at the moment - straight leg style in all styles and a few colours (dark denim/black etc.) REally nice fit and high waisted :) Like these starting at only €20 http://www.marksandspencer.ie/Straight-Leg-Denim-Jeans/Parent_T546139,en_IE,pd.html?dwvar_Parent__T546139_color=GJ&start=
    And no you are not too big for jeans!!! And wearing tracksuit bottoms all the time probably doesn't make you feel great. Good luck with the shopping!

Edited to add, if you want to splash out,Levis Bold Curve style are great, also high waisted

sassyj wrote: »
    Marks & Spencer have some really nice jeans at the moment - straight leg style in all styles and a few colours (dark denim/black etc.) REally nice fit and high waisted :) Like these starting at only €20 http://www.marksandspencer.ie/Straight-Leg-Denim-Jeans/Parent_T546139,en_IE,pd.html?dwvar_Parent__T546139_color=GJ&start=
    And no you are not too big for jeans!!! And wearing tracksuit bottoms all the time probably doesn't make you feel great. Good luck with the shopping!

Edited to add, if you want to splash out,Levis Bold Curve style are great, also high waisted

Thanks like the look of them. And your right wearing tracksiit bottoms every day makes me feel pretty sh!t. I have the hair and the make up done great and then I look down and think how boring and unglamorous my clothes look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭barleybooley

Jaysis, being a size 16, I've never had difficulty finding jeans. I was expecting something like "I have a 50 inch waistband" or something from the OP, not for her to say she's a 16! But I digress. River Island is my main man for jeans, I find Topshop and New Look to be of lower quality for around the same price. If you're looking to move up in price, Tommy Hilfiger and Levis are great too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 463 ✭✭dollybird2

Vera moda/Only brand have lovely high waisted skinnies with a zip at the back that are very comfy stretch denim and flattering. The only go to a 14/16 which is size L/XL. 39.95 each.

And no 16 is nowhere near too big for jeans. Thats a normal size!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

Gap might be worth a look too, their regular price would be a bit over your budget but they often have good deals on (30% off etc.). I'd try on a few different styles to see what looks best on you - straight, boot cut, skinny, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭Deenie123

miezekatze wrote: »
    Gap might be worth a look too, their regular price would be a bit over your budget but they often have good deals on (30% off etc.). I'd try on a few different styles to see what looks best on you - straight, boot cut, skinny, etc.

I'd second the gap idea. Go in and figure out what size you are in their jeans and which sizes fit you in teh different styles, then go back in during the sales. Got loads of jeans last year in the sales (couple of days after Christmas, so not even all gone by dusk on the 26th or anything ridiculous). I think I got 2 pairs for €12 each and another pair for €15ish. I've lived in them since, they're quite good quality and durable. Knowing what suits you in gap and what size you are there definitely makes it easier in the sales :)

Enjoy shopping

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

I got lovely straight leg jeans in oasis size 16.
    Got a really nice pair of skinny Levi's jeans in kildare village earlier this year size 16. They were reduced.
    New look are great for boot cut jeans. If they don't have the sizes in store check the website.
    Size 16 is certainly not too big!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭molly09

I find oasis boot cut jeans a cut fit and the Molly skinnies in river island

Got a pair of navy high waisted jeans in new look just €29.99. Size 16 and they fit okay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭PinkLemonade

I love river island jeans, I'm a shorter gal and find the short length is fantastic, I find a lot of jeans too baggy around the ankles in oasis new look etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 706 ✭✭✭SATSUMA

I got fab jeans in m&s for €30 nice and high wasted to hold the belly in. They are skinnys but look nice i hadnt tried them before...

I also got really nice ones in Evans. They start at a size 14 and are a really comfy fit. I wouldnt usually shop there but i loved the jeans i got and the fact they are a 14 was an added bonus :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13 tictoc

Heatons do a cheap jeans I think about €12 per pair comfy and they look good. Great for every day wear. Dorothy Perkins do 2 pairs for € 40 also great size and comfortable.( size 16 is actually size 16)
    For tops Dunnes and Tesco are doing great stuff in size 16 at the moment. Comfy too and they hide any unwanted bumps.
    New Look tops are great initially but lose shape pretty fast.
    Hope this helps.

Advertisement