Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leap card issue

• 11-11-2014 11:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭

Hey All!

I have no idea where to post this so please correct me if it's in the wrong area.

Today i asked for 20 euro to be put on my leap card. No questions asked and I went on my merry way.

I walked into town so didn't get to use the card til tonight. I asked the driver for the €1.95 fare. He said I was out of credit. Told me that there was a 5 day rambler on my card instead. He gave me a print out of my recent travels (very impressive) and let me on for free. Luckily, I had the receipt for the shop that I bought the credit (rambler) in. So I went in and explained my issue. The assistant called for the manager. He was of no help and said I will have to come back tomorrow. Apparently the owner will be in then. I said that this is unacceptable and is a huge inconvenience. He stared at me blankly.

Okkk... I know what you're thinking- I'm being petty? Well have a look below!

Background info:

The weekly cap on a student leap card is 20 euro. I have to make 2 journeys each day of the week. This works out cheaper than the 5 day rambler as I use the bus 7 days a week. As a student, I have a VERY tight budget. I have 20 euro a week for travel. I have nothing else to put towards travel. So If I am to keep the 5 day rambler, I can't get to my part-time job this weekend.

What are my options? Is the owner likely to refund me? Does he have to? What can I do?:(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,045 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

Get onto Leap and see if they can amend it for you in some way. If you ask for credit on the leap card then its what you should get , they cant just assume you want a rambler just for the bus.
    Its happened a few times , tourists confused as to why the card wont work to get the train when they have put credit on it.
    On one hand its up to you to check your receipt to make sure you got the right transaction but on the other hand the shop wouldnt be able to change it either. Its a case of saying that you want credit only on the card and not a rambler but they should have the cop on to do this anyway.

Whats the story with the rambler, why didnt it cover your journey?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭outnumbered

Hilly Bill wrote: »
    Get onto Leap and see if they can amend it for you in some way. If you ask for credit on the leap card then its what you should get , they cant just assume you want a rambler just for the bus.
    Its happened a few times , tourists confused as to why the card wont work to get the train when they have put credit on it.
    On one hand its up to you to check your receipt to make sure you got the right transaction but on the other hand the shop wouldnt be able to change it either. Its a case of saying that you want credit only on the card and not a rambler but they should have the cop on to do this anyway.

Whats the story with the rambler, why didnt it cover your journey?

Yeah fair enough. But like now ill have to top it up to get into Dublin Bus :/

I went up to the driver so thats why it didn't deduct a day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Told me that there was a 5 day rambler on my card instead.
    Have you ever had a 5-day Rambler?

It may be that the cashier selected the wrong menu / button. Keep your receipt. Talk to Leap Card.

www.leapcard.ie
    Contact Us

If you would like further assistance, we can be contacted through any of the options below.

Email
    customer.care@leapcard.ie

Please ensure that you include your Leap Card number and contact details in your email to help us respond to your query.

Phone
    Lo call from Ireland: 1850 824 824

Calling from outside Ireland: +353 (1) 517 1528

Monday to Friday 7am to 7pm
    Saturday and Bank Holidays 9am to 3pm
    Closed Sundays, Christmas Day, St. Stephens Day and New Year’s Day

PO BOX 12119
    Dublin 24

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭outnumbered

So I went back into the shop. The rude owner said that "It's your own fault for not checking the receipt at the time". What good would that have done if they "cannot issue refunds" anyway!? I told him about the 20 euro budget and his reply was : "tough".

I have emailed Leap Card and i'm awaiting their reply.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I would be interested in making sure I never gave that shop any of my business.

I know you probably can't post here, but please PM me the name of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

They sold you the wrong product - its pretty irrelevant whatever they say about refunds, it has zero standing in law. Go back and threathen to go to the NCA (go to them anyway) as they're breaking consumer law. What they sold you was not as described.

Also, stop buying anything at all there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,045 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

So I went back into the shop. The rude owner said that "It's your own fault for not checking the receipt at the time". What good would that have done if they "cannot issue refunds" anyway!? I told him about the 20 euro budget and his reply was : "tough".

I have emailed Leap Card and i'm awaiting their reply.

Even if the OP had checked the receipt i dont think the shop could have changed anything on the card. Its bad form from the shop and the only option i can see would be to have refunded the money to the OP and they take the hit for putting the wrong top up on the card.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

Hilly Bill wrote: »
    Even if the OP had checked the receipt i dont think the shop could have changed anything on the card. Its bad form from the shop and the only option i can see would be to have refunded the money to the OP and they take the hit for putting the wrong top up on the card.

No then can, I had a shop load a rambler ticket instead of a cash amount. I noticed on the receipt and came back and they were able to cancel the rambler and load the e-purse instead.

It did take a bit of "I think it can be done, let me try this button" so its possible the full functionalities aren't properly publicised by Payzone, but it can be done!

Advertisement