Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suppressors .22

Options
  • 12-11-2014 1:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭

Hi folks

What is the best suppressor in your opinion? I have seen them start from 50euro

I am looking for suppressor for my .22 to reduce the decibels as much as possible for firing supersonic ammunition. The reason is I have a semiautomatic rifle and just want reduce the noise as much as possible. I find when using subsonic ammunition that my rifle tends to jam.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭rsole1

defib wrote: »
    Hi folks

What is the best suppressor in your opinion? I have seen them start from 50euro

I am looking for suppressor for my .22 to reduce the decibels as much as possible for firing supersonic ammunition. The reason is I have a semiautomatic rifle and just want reduce the noise as much as possible. I find when using subsonic ammunition that my rifle tends to jam.

I have a Sak and a Parker Hale for 22lr and I can't tell which is quietest. One is shorter and fatter, the other longer and thinner, aesthetically I prefer the the fat Sak for that reason only.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Wadi14

Sak, it's a machined piece and I believe easier to clean, not as fiddly to take apart and put back together.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭1jay1

I have a Sak and a Wildcat Whisper for my 17HMR, the Wildcat "sounds better", not sure if its quieter but the "crack" defo don't sound as loud.
    For the money Sak is hard to beat imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Hi folks

Ok,on that point you are really not going to scuceed very well as supersonic ammo is breaking the sound barrier and there are very few ,if any silencers that will reduce a bullet below supersonic speeds.
    Your three noise producers in a gunshot are;
    The explosive expellation of the super hot gasses and bullet from the muzzle
    The Sonic "boom" of a supersonic round going thru the sound barrier.
    The working of the semi rifles action.

Starting from the gun...What type of .22 is it? Some are good silencing guns others are not so much.It sounds like your problem is actually with the gun not cycling subsonic rounds properly.
    So heres my solution.IF you have a gun that will allow you to do so from its design.
    Strip the gun ,clean it well,especially the bolt ,ejector and extractor areas as 22s are generally mucky ammo and they will affect some guns terribly in their cycling action and find out what kind of recoil springs you have that bring the bolt back into battery.
    1] Get whatever silencer you want for the .22
    2] Buy or get a replacement set of spring for your model.Check them against the installed original! It could be simply too that you have a set of tired recoil spring
    3] Buy a bunch of different subsonic ammo brands and head off to the range with your gun and a strong wire snips and whatever you need to break down the gun .
    4] Shoot the brands and find which brand chokes the gun the least.A clip full of each will usually tell the story.
    5] Strip the gun and trim off ONE turn of the recoil spring.Re assemble and fire a few rounds.
    6] Continue to do so until the gun cycles 98% of the time on subsonic ammo.
    95 to 98 % is exellent for a silenced semi .22 that isnt a NIB gun.

Congrats!!! you have set up the gun to work on a particular brand of sub sonic ammo about as efectively as most gunsmiths or silencer makers would do it.
    Keep the two sets of springs seperate for normal Hi vel and Subsonic ammo usage.Its a laborious trial and error method and limits you to one brand or ammo type but it works.
    OR
    Simply let a gunsmith do all of the above and charge you for it.:p
    Again,use with caution,mileage may vary.If you dont feel competant or happy doing this yourself get a competant gunsmith to do it for you.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Deaf git

I've had three semi .22's in my time- an ancient Walther (first gun), a Unique Bis and most recently a 10/22. I used subs in all three rifles with varying results. The Unique was all steel with nice timber and my favourite semi of all.

Before altering any components try cleaning the action thoroughly and be sparing with the oil.
    Try as many brands as you can find, Lapua always worked for me. Some subs are a bit greasy, try cleaning them by giving a light rub with a clean lint free cloth. The grease will gum up an action and chamber very quickly, esp in cold weather.
    If your gun is newish the action may loosen up in time as parts wear and become polished. This will make it more forgiving with subs.
    Have a look at J&P Springs website, they supply aftermarket springs for a lot of popular guns and the quality is excellent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭defib

The firearm is a semi ruger 10/22. I have Centrefire firearms also.

I currently have a cheap 50euro suppressor. I wanted to see if paying more for a new suppressor would make much difference with the db?

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Baker.22

I currently have a cheap 50euro suppressor. I wanted to see if paying more for a new suppressor would make much difference with the db?

Not a chance, with supersonic rounds the bullet breaks the sound barrier just after it leaves the barrel, as such this is after your suppressor, the sonic boom will be the the majority of the noise, you have to use subs to make a suppressor efficient as some of the noise will also come out through the cycling action in the breech area unlike a bolt action.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Well good news.You can get weaker springs for the 10/22 if needed no problem.But I'd say try giving it a good clean and lube first to get it to cycle reliabely with the suppressor using different ammo brands to find which one it more less works with all the time is the starter point rather than buying another silencer at the moment.You are not putting full auto thru the van[hopefully not?:D] So a 50 euro .22 silencer will do the job no problem.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Sika98k

Try those cartridges. When I used to have a 22lr I found that these generally cycled reliably in a semi-auto

Advertisement