Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How does debt from UK follow someone to Ireland?

Options
  • 12-11-2014 2:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭

I've been talking with a few guys from Northern Ireland in work, and they were discussing debts they had in the UK. A debate broke out over whether someone who moves from the UK to Ireland can be tracked down by debt collectors etc.

I'm aware that an EU directive allows debt to follow you into any EU state, but how would debt collectors actually find you or mess with your credit rating in Ireland?

In this scenario, you would have someone borrowing a heap of money/getting goods on finance and then crossing the border into the Republic and ignoring their UK debts. Seeing as our taxation, welfare (ie PPS number vs National Insurance number) etc. being separated, how could someone actually trace you across the border? Can banks/public organisations such as inland revenue/revenue commissioners be forced to hand over information to creditors if you have given them an address/PPS/NI number etc. for the other country that they could then use to track you down?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,652 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

I've been talking with a few guys from Northern Ireland in work, and they were discussing debts they had in the UK. A debate broke out over whether someone who moves from the UK to Ireland can be tracked down by debt collectors etc.

I'm aware that an EU directive allows debt to follow you into any EU state, but how would debt collectors actually find you or mess with your credit rating in Ireland?

In this scenario, you would have someone borrowing a heap of money/getting goods on finance and then crossing the border into the Republic and ignoring their UK debts. Seeing as our taxation, welfare (ie PPS number vs National Insurance number) etc. being separated, how could someone actually trace you across the border? Can banks/public organisations such as inland revenue/revenue commissioners be forced to hand over information to creditors if you have given them an address/PPS/NI number etc. for the other country that they could then use to track you down?

The same way an Irish Bank/Credit Union would do it, hire a Private Detective to track you down.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,320 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

There are two things here; whether a finance company can chase you and the other implications.

If you are talking about people going out and ordering goods on credit and never intending to repay, that is fraud and after investigation would be followed up with a European Arrest Warrant followed by a plane back to the UK. That's not a debt collection matter, that is a crime.

Advertisement