Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The dreaded letter I was expecting arrived!

Options
  • 12-11-2014 3:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭

So..my rent increase notification letter has arrived!
    My letting agent,after discussion with my landlord (who mostly lives abroad due to work), has sent my notification to increase the rent as of January 1st. I was kind of expecting, after reading on here it's common place lately after the increase in market values.
    I'm living here over 6 years, and in fairness to them between the letting agent and landlord both have been A1,class when we needed something fixed it's done, if it's clapped out and you want to get your own no bother, but bin it yourself (old bed),recently old washer dryer (never dried) clapped out, sorted me with a fantastic 900 euro worth of a washer drier as I'd had a baby, plumber up withing 30 mins if an issue (leaky pipe/heating) and other wise leave you to your own devices-had said from day one don't care, it's your home, just down burn it down :D
    Anyway, sorry for essay, my original rent was tail end of tiger at 1150 a month, he dropped it twice during the recession to 875, but they have advised that the landlord doesn't want to bring it right up to market value, giving credit for being a good tenant, but wants to benefit a little and meet half way at 1k. My thinking is that, even as I'm struggling already due to my separation, I think this is probably a good outcome as they outline in the letter (in a very friendly manner) they'll get a lot more if I vacate. And he had facilitated the drops before.
    My ex has it in his head that he can negotiate (though their letter says we doubt their is wiggle room) I'm thinking, nope, 1k still well below market, and maybe just ask can they stick a new coat of magnolia around the place :)
    Am I right?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Might I ask cause others will ask, Why is your ex having any input to your rent?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

OP look up daft.ie. but chances are it's still probably below market rate. I know some will probably say there is no harm in asking for a bit more lower. But the fact is there is a massive under supply in Dublin. The landlord could have you out tomorrow and have it let on Friday.

You aren't going to gain anything from asking for a lower rent. You are lucky to have a place and very lucky to have an agent that solves problem. That's rare

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Detached Retina

Thanks. That's what I'm saying- I reckon I'm lucky that his increase still isn't close to market, the guy dropped it twice during the recession and is only bringing it up to 1k-agent is saying could get minimum 1150, but he could get waay more. I don't want to actually argue with them.
    My ex getting involved, is because he is being a dick. That's a whole other story. Man has cost me thousands,a bit rich of him trying to help me in rent when he never paid a penny in his life.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Detached Retina

ken wrote: »
    Might I ask cause others will ask, Why is your ex having any input to your rent?.

long story, but a bit of a joke tbh :( never paid a f*cking penny towards it or bills, more interested in pumping money into paddy power. Among other things. But that's another thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭DainBramage

Your landlord in the description sounds very fair and decent compared to some out there. He dropped the rent during recession and is now increasing it albeit not too market. I would not fight him too much on it.
    Unless your ex is still living with you and contributing to the rent, it has nothing to do with him.question his motives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,126 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Op Im in the same boat. My landlord is great - I have been there 9 years and he has dropped the rent several times to come in line with my rent allowance. He has now increased it from next month - can't blame him - but still well below the market rate. I have submitted all the details to the SW so just hoping its still in line with the rent allowance rates.

Tell your ex to mind his own business! :)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

You sound like a good tenant and you have a great relationship with the landlord.

I wouldn't let anything jeopardise that, tell your ex to butt out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Same here, landlord just upped the rent by €200 for a 3 bed in D15, up to €950PM, still way below market rate (there's a house around the corner going for €1150 so not going to argue with him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Beaner1

Fight it tooth and nail. Head to the prtb and dispute the increase as you have nothing to lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Beaner1 wrote: »
    Fight it tooth and nail. Head to the prtb and dispute the increase as you have nothing to lose.

Actually they do if they loose they pay higher rent backdated if the ptrb finds in favour or the landlords increease

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

The landlord might not be so willing to accept a below market rent this time next year if OP follows your suggestion. That sounds like a fairly big potential loss to me.

Gatling wrote: »
    Actually they do if they loose they pay higher rent backdated if the ptrb finds in favour or the landlords increease

But they were going to have to pay that anyway. Logic fail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

If somebody did, I sincerely hope they'd lose and the landlord jacks up the rent to market rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Really did you read your own post at all ,

"Fight it tooth and nail you have nothing to loose" ,

Now but they were going to have to pay anyway

BS cases like you are suggesting, are the reason why the PRTB is so slow to deal with proper cases that need to be addressed urgently eg evicting people for not paying. They are going to achieve nothing by bringing it to the PRTB other than wasting time and tax payers money.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Rachiee

Id say its worth asking but I wouldn't fight it too hard. The markets a mess at the moment and 1k sounds like a good price you won't get any decent places for less than that if you were asked to leave.

Unlikely PRTB would find in the tenants favour if the rent is still below the market rate so nothing to be gained by fighting it. Where's the logic in that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

I'd be inclined to accept the increase and yes, ask for the painting to be done too. After 6 years it's well due a lick of paint and the landlord can cover it

Graham wrote: »
    Unlikely PRTB would find in the tenants favour if the rent is still below the market rate so nothing to be gained by fighting it. Where's the logic in that?

You say unlikey, I say you have a good shot of cutting the potential increase in half. It's a free shot so you might as well take it. The effort involved in defending might make the landlord back down.

You say unlikey, I say you have a good shot of cutting the potential increase in half. It's a free shot so you might as well take it. The effort involved in defending might make the landlord back down.

Based on the OPs recognition that the new rent is still below market rate, on what basis do you think she has a good shot?

• Advertisement

Based on the OPs recognition that the new rent is still below market rate, on what basis do you think she has a good shot?

The OP is likely wrong and doesn't really know what the market rate is. It's not what you see on Daft.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Actually we have a rental property and would be the same as the OPs landlord. Conscientious about the responsibility and loath to increase the rent to unfair levels. That said if you actually decrease the rent for somebody during hard times and only modestly increase the rent below market levels only to get low balled by the tenant. Let's just say I'd be looking for another tenant at the first legal opportunity.

The OP is likely wrong and doesn't really know what the market rate is. It's not what you see on Daft.

I'm assuming the OP has done more research on the market rate in their locality than you have and there are very few stories of properties on Daft failing to achieve the rent asked.

On what basis do you assume the OP is wrong?

Any evidence of wholesale under achievement of rents asked on Daft?

I'm assuming the OP has done more research on the market rate in their locality than you have and there are very few stories of properties on Daft failing to achieve the rent asked.

On what basis do you assume the OP is wrong?

Any evidence of wholesale under achievement of rents asked on Daft?

So you're going to base your claim on stories? Ignore daft. The PRTB have a register of average market prices. That is the only dataset that has any credibility.

If I was a landlord i could put up an add on daft with 3K month rent for a 3 bed semi and use that as proof.

So you're going to base your claim on stories? Ignore daft. The PRTB have a register of average market prices. That is the only dataset that has any credibility.

If I was a landlord i could put up an add on daft with 3K month rent for a 3 bed semi and use that as proof.

Please point to the specific parts of the PRTB rent register that backup your assertion that rent in the OP's locality have not increased 14% since the rent was last reviewed downwards?

Please point to the specific parts of the PRTB rent register that backup your assertion that rent in the OP's locality have not increased 14% since the rent was last reviewed downwards?

That's their job as they have all the details.

That's their job as they have all the details.

This is just the last twelve months:

Annual growth in the Dublin market was stronger, up by 10.5 per cent, with Dublin house rents
    up by 8.5 per cent and Dublin apartment rents higher by 12.1 per cent. In contrast, annual growth in rents for the market outside Dublin was more subdued, recording growth of 2.6 per cent when compared to the second quarter of 2013.
    Source: PRTB

If the OP suggests what you suggest. If I was the LL, I would see their 12 month lease out and without any hesitation evict them immediately after the lease is over. I would put someone into the property with a far higher rent

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

OP- your landlord would seem to be fair and reasonable.
    The proposed increase- the first you've had in 6 years, bringing the rent to 1k- would appear to be significantly below market rates.
    If you do go down the road of disputing it- which you will loose- you will sour the relationship you have with your landlord and his agent- and when your next rent review comes up- 12 months hence- they can simply ask for the market rate- which they are entitled to do- which wouldn't do you any favours whatsoever.

Do ask to get a bit of painting done.
    Ignore your ex and ignore Beaner- contrary to what they imagine- you do have something to loose- the goodwill you have with the landlord- and the discount he is giving you..........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

hfallada wrote: »
    BS cases like you are suggesting, are the reason why the PRTB is so slow to deal with proper cases that need to be addressed urgently eg evicting people for not paying. They are going to achieve nothing by bringing it to the PRTB other than wasting time and tax payers landlords money.
    Just for completeness, it should be noted that the PRTB is entirely financed by the residential landlords of Ireland and by extension their tenants who have to pay higher rents to cover these costs.

Beaner is of course 100% wrong. There is no sense to lodging a dispute with the PRTB over an increase that doesn't even bring the rent up to open market rates. You'd be laughed out of the hearing and slapped on the wrist for being a bloody idiot. The LL would then simply raise the rent to full market rate (the very top end as well) at the next possible opportunity. This is technically called biting off your nose to spite your face by the way.

Advertisement