Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The dreaded letter I was expecting arrived!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Beaner1 wrote: »
    The OP is likely wrong and doesn't really know what the market rate is. It's not what you see on Daft.
    You're right...it's higher in Dublin!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

I wouldn't even push the painting tbh. The LL has been making a substantial loss (compared to what he could have achieved if he had charged the going rate, no more) for at least the past 2 years I suspect. If the market rate is 1100 and he's been charging 875 he's lost conservatively 4 grand in the last 2 years and it sounds like he was reducing rent to match Rent Supplement limits, which means he was losing even before then. I wouldn't rub salt in those wounds. Just ask can you paint the place yourself and make sure to do it carefully and not get any spatter on anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭garhjw

So you're going to base your claim on stories? Ignore daft. The PRTB have a register of average market prices. That is the only dataset that has any credibility.

If I was a landlord i could put up an add on daft with 3K month rent for a 3 bed semi and use that as proof.

You don't have a clue what you're talking about. It's people like you that waste PRTB time and tax payers money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭yankinlk

garhjw wrote: »
    You don't have a clue what you're talking about. It's people like you that waste PRTB time and tax payers money.

and posters time, and space on boards.ie... read beaners other posts, trolled before, will troll again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Beaner1

hfallada wrote: »
    If the OP suggests what you suggest. If I was the LL, I would see their 12 month lease out and without any hesitation evict them immediately after the lease is over. I would put someone into the property with a far higher rent

You can't do that.

• Advertisement

Graham wrote: »
    This is just the last twelve months:

Annual growth in the Dublin market was stronger, up by 10.5 per cent, with Dublin house rents
    up by 8.5 per cent and Dublin apartment rents higher by 12.1 per cent. In contrast, annual growth in rents for the market outside Dublin was more subdued, recording growth of 2.6 per cent when compared to the second quarter of 2013.
    Source: PRTB

Headline figures do not matter.

The only thing that matters is last agreed market rent, property type, area and percentage increase since last agreed market rent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

If I was the op I wouldn't try to argue the price but I would ask him/her could they start the new higher rent on the first of February instead of January 1st due to Christmas and all that. If I got the nod on that I'd be happy.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Headline figures do not matter.

The only thing that matters is last agreed market rent, property type, area and percentage increase since last agreed market rent.
    The PRTB have a register of average market prices. That is the only dataset that has any credibility.

You appear to be confusing yourself.

Graham wrote: »
    You appear to be confusing yourself.

You are the one confused. You don't understand the PRTB price register.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Beaner1 cut it out.
    I've had enough of your trollish posts on this forum. If you don't improve your standard of posting here the mods will be forced to ban you from the forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Detached Retina

murphaph wrote: »
    I wouldn't even push the painting tbh. The LL has been making a substantial loss (compared to what he could have achieved if he had charged the going rate, no more) for at least the past 2 years I suspect. If the market rate is 1100 and he's been charging 875 he's lost conservatively 4 grand in the last 2 years and it sounds like he was reducing rent to match Rent Supplement limits, which means he was losing even before then. I wouldn't rub salt in those wounds. Just ask can you paint the place yourself and make sure to do it carefully and not get any spatter on anything.

I wasn't, and am currently not claiming rent allowance, though at one point in the past they had said they wouldn't have an issue with it (it matched as you say the limit at the time). I'm a dab hand with a paintbrush btw :)

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭masonchat

Agree to the rent as it seems fair but ask will they stand by it for say 2 years ? a good tennent is not to be underestimated either

Thanks a million for the replies, sorry had a bit of a break-we're all dying of coughs and colds so got a bit caught up. I must say, fighting tooth and nail with the prtb over commonplace increases seems a bit ott, but I see there was a telling off handed out for that general train of thought so to speak. And I'm aware of market rates, unless I should be adopting a tin foil hat approach to property websites? :D I know people say, if you don't want rents so high don't pay them but-it's a request below market rate, and what should I do, fight it,get my 60 days notice or whatever and illegally squat thereafter? i know that's a response to only a couple of posts. The rest were very helpful :)

masonchat wrote: »
    Agree to the rent as it seems fair but ask will they stand by it for say 2 years ? a good tennent is not to be underestimated either

Actually, someone did suggest that to me off here too - I might do that. Thanks :)

ken wrote: »
    If I was the op I wouldn't try to argue the price but I would ask him/her could they start the new higher rent on the first of February instead of January 1st due to Christmas and all that. If I got the nod on that I'd be happy.

Hmm, that would be a huge help to me - I might ask that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Op . Landlord has been very fair. You should except and move on.

Advertisement