Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parafin heaters

• 12-11-2014 8:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭

Has anyone ever used a parafin heater for a glasshouse/polytunnel? I saw them in woodies approx €35, are they worth it? My polytunnel is 6mx3mx2m. Would I need two of them? I was reading that this years winter is meant to be particullary harsh.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

What exactly are you growing that can justify such expense? (Can I have some?)

Putting a heater into a plastic polytunnel doesn't seem like common sense to me but maybe the plastic won't melt/warp...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 789 ✭✭✭fiacha

He's talking about a heater not a stove !:D No danger of melting the tunnel if it's kept away from the sides.

My father was obsessed with using a paraffin heater in his greenhouse. Everything smelled of paraffin year round and all surfaces has a thin black soot stain.

Can you get power to the tunnel ? If so, something like a tubular heater with a thermostatic switch would be good for keeping the frost at bay.

I never heat my small greenhouse. I just cover everything in fleece to help protect from frost.

Advertisement