Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Still in education - problem for employers?

Options
  • 12-11-2014 9:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭

So I'm studying a degree in Computing, part time. I'm working full time in IT support but want to be a developer, particularly in Java. I have a good project to demonstrate, as well as a background in finance.

Yet I can't seem to get any interviews. Just recently a role came up looking for a junior java dev with a good finance background and a recruiter was on to me thinking I'd be a fit for the role. I was delighted but ultimately the company declined to interview me as they were very particular about study. They don't want anyone who is still in education! I would have thought that putting myself through college 3 days a week part time while working would have shown dedication but I guess not!

I'm starting to think this has been the case for all the other positions I applied for aswell. Is this a problem for employers? Obviously my lack of experience is going against me aswell but I'm only applying for junior positions, but never hear back.

I've another two years left in the degree and I'd rather get my development career started ASAP than wait until I graduate. Is this even possible?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Elessar wrote: »
    I would have thought that putting myself through college 3 days a week part time while working would have shown dedication but I guess not!
    Dedication to your education, not necessarily to the job.

Look at it this way, to keep up with your studies, you'd need to leave the office at a certain hour three times per week (no possibility of overtime on those days). You'd likely need to take time off for exam revision and the exams themselves. The job and study would be in competition, in terms of priorities, and many employers will shy away from this. Same thing happens to parents, who will be seen as having their priorities split between family and work.

It's not nice, but that's the market, I'm afraid.
    I've another two years left in the degree and I'd rather get my development career started ASAP than wait until I graduate. Is this even possible?
    Internships are potentially an option. As is part-time employment. Smaller firms too may be more willing to take you on as it's generally HR departments that cull 'undesirable' candidates, while if your CV is being read by the directors themselves, they typically tend to be more 'humane' about these things. If all else fails, freelancing will improve your chances for when you do finally finish your studies.

There's also the fact that you are studying, not have studied. In other words you're not yet able to do the job, on paper. If you have have a good project to demonstrate your skills, then perhaps you're not selling that well enough in your CV. Putting forward your commitment to your future job may need more selling in your application/motivational letters too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭beauf

The irony, of IT needing people to constantly re-educate themselves, but not wanting someone who's doing exactly that.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Just to clarify, are you studying or attending College during the day? If you are attending during the day, that's more than likely where Employers would have the issue. The issue isn't necessarily that you are educating yourself. If I were an Employer, I would see it as admirable that a potential or current Employee made the effort to educate themselves, but I would expect that they could fulfill contractual agreements.

What I am wondering is, how long before you complete your education? Is it viable to remain in full time employment in your IT Support role, while you complete your education? If so, I would recommend that you stick with your current role until you completed the course you're pursing and see if your current Employer has any roles that you may be able to fill or any opportunities to use your new found skills in development to gain experience, before you take the plunge and seek new roles as a Software Developer.

beauf wrote: »
    The irony, of IT needing people to constantly re-educate themselves, but not wanting someone who's doing exactly that.
    He's not though; he's just educating himself. A primary degree is often seen as a base line for the industry. Additionally post-grads and other qualifications tend to be shorter and less time consuming.

He's not though; he's just educating himself. A primary degree is often seen as a base line for the industry. Additionally post-grads and other qualifications tend to be shorter and less time consuming.

I agree on the baseline. But that's not the reason the company gave...
    they were very particular about study. They don't want anyone who is still in education!

I'm taking that at its word.

In my own experience, all the talk about being unable to get people IT people with the right skills, isn't matched (in general) by the effort in facilitating IT training.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Kinet1c

The vast majority of companys will hire at that level for you to do a specific job now, not for your potential talent or skill.

Kinet1c wrote: »
    The vast majority of companys will hire at that level for you to do a specific job now, not for your potential talent or skill.

That policy and the "supposed" skill shortage may not be entirely unrelated.

I suspect a base line is often set by an agency/hr dept and they don't look beyond that. If you can put your CV in via someone who might look beyond that, via family and friends you might have better luck.

Elessar wrote: »
    ....I've another two years left in the degree and I'd rather get my development career started ASAP than wait until I graduate. Is this even possible?

Do your own projects and freelance commercial work to put some interesting stuff on your CV. That will help. I learnt far more and faster doing contract work than any other way. Then when you get your degree you'll also have experience.

Ask everyone you know about dev jobs in their companies. Networking etc.

beauf wrote: »
    I agree on the baseline. But that's not the reason the company gave...
    Oh, I wouldn't always believe the reason a HR dept gives in these cases.
    Kinet1c wrote: »
    Well, I expect that the logic is that if you're doing a primary degree and this is seen as a baseline, then technically one would not be qualified for any specific job now if they're currently studying a primary degree.

Anyhow, this is just speculation - could simply have been that this company had a bad experience in the past and decided to introduce such a rule.

• Advertisement
Advertisement