Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Using supplements on rest days

• 12-11-2014 10:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Hi,

I was wondering is it a good idea to use supplements on rest days?

At the moment I'm training 4-5 days a week and using both whey protein and a bulking powder.
    Is it a good idea to use both supplements on my rest days?

I'm mostly concerned that the bulking powder may turn to fat.
    I wonder would it also make a difference if I took 2 rest days in a row and used supplements on both days.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,670 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Hi,

I was wondering is it a good idea to use supplements on rest days?

At the moment I'm training 4-5 days a week and using both whey protein and a bulking powder.
    Is it a good idea to use both supplements on my rest days?

I'm mostly concerned that the bulking powder may turn to fat.
    I wonder would it also make a difference if I took 2 rest days in a row and used supplements on both days.

Thanks

They're just food supplements. If you account for the calories as part of what you're getting on board on rest days, then there should be no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Doctor Bojangles

They're just food supplements. If you account for the calories as part of what you're getting on board on rest days, then there should be no problem.

Cheers,

I suppose what I'm really asking is do I need the extra calories on top of my normal diet on my rest days as well as the days I train?

Thanks

What are your goals? You bulking/cutting/maintaining?

What are your goals? You bulking/cutting/maintaining?

Very much bulking at the moment.
    I've increased the calorie intake by 1200 a day.
    I don't have much weight on me but I have been weight training for some time without putting on any bulk. I've had good success with improving definition but not bulking.
    I'm naturally thin and always have been.

Cheers

If you're in a surplus of 1200 kcals a day, then just factor in the supplements or don't. If you're hitting the kcals you need and the macro breakdown is alright, then you don't really need the supplements on top of it.

Most bulking supplements are an expensive form of protein + carbs anyway. They're a convenient way of getting those but that's ultimately all they are.

In short, if you hit your surplus with food, you don't need the bulking supplement as well.

• Advertisement

If you're in a surplus of 1200 kcals a day, then just factor in the supplements or don't. If you're hitting the kcals you need and the macro breakdown is alright, then you don't really need the supplements on top of it.

Most bulking supplements are an expensive form of protein + carbs anyway. They're a convenient way of getting those but that's ultimately all they are.

In short, if you hit your surplus with food, you don't need the bulking supplement as well.

Cheers,

Sorry I should have mentioned before the supplements give me the extra 1200 kcals a day.
    So is it good to have a surplus of calories on rest days as well as training days regardless of the use of supplements or not?

I'd question if your surplus is a bit big. If you train 5 days a week and were only in a surplus those days, it's still a 6,000 kcal surplus.

I wouldn't necessarily worry about the training and non-training days in the week. The weekly surplus will usually dictate the daily requirements, i.e. you shouldn't be looking at it as 1,200 every dayr or just 1,200 on training days and maintenance the other days because there's a difference of 2,400 kcals between both of those scenarios.

So if you want 6,000 across the week, you could go 1,200 on training days (5) and maintenance the other 2 days. Or you could go 1000 on the 5 training days and 500 on the rest days.

Pick what suits you - there will always be a bit of trial and error.

But start with working out what kind of weekly surplus you're looking at. 6,000 does seem a bit high though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,658 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

But start with working out what kind of weekly surplus you're looking at. 6,000 does seem a bit high though.

I agree that 1200 is a bit high, especially for a guy who "doesn't have much weight on him".
    But on the other hand, I also doubt that its genuinely 1200 cals. It's pretty common for underweight guys to overestimate intake.

Mellor wrote: »
    I agree that 1200 is a bit high, especially for a guy who "doesn't have much weight on him".
    But on the other hand, I also doubt that its genuinely 1200 cals. It's pretty common for underweight guys to overestimate intake.

True dat. Everything is predicated on kcals being properly tracked. Otherwise you're at nuttin'.

Cheers for the advise lads.

I've began calorie counting so I'm more focused on the daily calorie/protein/vitamin intake than the amount of shakes I drink. An extra 1200 calories was too high and I moved my focus away from how many extra calories I should take in a day to meeting a realistic and more healthy daily target

• Advertisement

Cheers for the advise lads.

I've began calorie counting so I'm more focused on the daily calorie/protein/vitamin intake than the amount of shakes I drink. An extra 1200 calories was too high and I moved my focus away from how many extra calories I should take in a day to meeting a realistic and more healthy daily target

If really is an eye opener.

Like I said, it's trial and error so you can see how it goes and amend intake as you need.

Advertisement