Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

somewhere with wifi to spend a few hours

Options
  • 12-11-2014 10:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭

I have a few hours to kill in the city and need to work so need WiFi.WiFi.

Any suggestions? I don't mind buying some food etc but don't want to be rushed out.

As near to o Connell st as possible.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭slinky2000

Most coffee shops have free wifi as long as you're buying the coffee. I regularly have work meetings in starbucks on Westmoreland street for a few hours sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

JohnCleary wrote: »
    I have a few hours to kill in the city and need to work so need WiFi.WiFi.

Any suggestions? I don't mind buying some food etc but don't want to be rushed out.

As near to o Connell st as possible.

Cheers
    any hotel lobby should fill your needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭slinky2000

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Think most McDonalds have free wifi these days

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Afaik, the library in Ilac has places to sit down. It might be full of students though, depending on the time of the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Are you familiar with WiFi tethering? If you have an Android phone and a decent data bundle you can use switch on Tethering on your phone (Settings -> More... -> Tethering and Portable Hotspot. Android 4.4.4 anyway but similar in previous versions of Android) and your phone becomes a WiFi hotspot which you can then connect your laptop to and work away.

One note of caution, just make sure your network provider doesn't classify data used for Tethering differently from your normal allowance. Most don't but it's worth checking.

That way you can use your laptop anywhere you have a decent signal on your phone.

Second note of caution - tethering can be hard on your phone battery so it's best to do it somewhere you can power your phone or if you have a large capacity battery you don't need to worry about. One workaround is to turn tethering on to download your emails etc, then turn it off, work away on your laptop and then turn tethering back on again to send your emails etc.

Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Got sorted - I'm in the ILAC library. It stinks of p1ss but the WiFi is good and I can do some work :)

re. tethering - well aware of it but thanks for the info. Main issue is that I don't have my phone charger with me and expecting important calls this afternoon so need to conserve battery

Advertisement