Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apartment - would removing bath affect sell price?

Options
  • 12-11-2014 12:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭

I have a notion to redo the 2 bathrooms in my 2 bed apt.

This would involve removing the bath and replacing with a large shower area in the main bathroom (1), then removing existing shower cubicle in ensuite bathroom (2) and installing built in storage.

Also upgrade both... modernise, tiling, design, etc. in both.

A couple of people have said that no bath could affect resell down the line. No plans to sell any time soon. Is this likely, in your expert opinions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

Are you saying you are reducing the number of showers overall from 2 to 1? I wouldn't do that regardless of the bath situation! The whole point to me of an ensuite is privacy after a shower!

On the bath issue, would your apartment be suitable for a kid or 2? Buyers / investors would usually like a bath if kids are gonna potentially live there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

No bath would be a showstopper for me, I'm afraid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Keep the bath. Nearly every apartment I have been in has a bath. By taking it out all you are doing is creating an empty space in the bathroom

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

When we did our house renovation, I was all for getting rid of the bath. The architect advised us to hold onto it.

His reasoning was that while he understood we might never use it ourselves, what if one day we were forced into selling/letting the house by circumstances beyond our control? Most buyers/renters would be put off by the lack of a bath.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Almost no apartments have baths. They're really only needed for kids. Two showers is overkill unless the 2nd bedroom is occupied by someone who you would not want to use the main bathroom. As the population ages, accessible showering facilities (ideally a full wet-area) in the main bathroom will become more important.

I guess it depends on who you think the target market of your apartment will be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

There seems to be a consensus that it is more difficult to sell a property without a bath.

But you should also consider your own lifestyle preferences, because I presume you bought the apartment to live in it rather than sell it. You could replace the bath with a shower, but do it is such a way that a future owner could easily enough reverse the operation (or you might even re-install a bath as preparation for selling).

I agree with dori_dormer about keeping the second shower.

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

Almost no apartments have baths.
    Not in my experience - I can't think of one apartment I viewed in the last 18 months of my apartment hunt that had only a shower.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

My parents in law removed their bath and put in a wet room, they are now regretting that descion,

at the time they were adamant they wouldn't want or need a bath, the idea was in their old age the wet room/shower would be more appropriate and now they miss having a bath,

i think you are always better having options than limiting yourself, and imo storage in an ensuite wouldn't be practicable anyway if the toilet and sink is still in there, no bath would be a deal breaker for me too i am afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭SuperGrover

Thanks for all the input and advice. We have 2 small kids and the bath is only used for them. They are getting big enough now to start learning how to use a shower.

The idea would be going from having a bath (main) and a small shower (ensuite) to a large shower (main) and storage space (ensuite).

I see that a couple with small kids or maybe a young couple who may have kids would want a bath. Or older people or people who just prefer to have one. It could be a case of limiting number of potential buyers down the line rather than sell price directly. Not a great scenario.

From the comments above, it seems like it may not be wise. That's why I asked and thanks for the feedback.

May just get a nicer / larger shower to replace the one that's there and do up the bathrooms a bit with tiling and fixtures.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

Is there no shower above the bath? Then the kids wouldn't have to use your ensuite. Best of both!

• Advertisement

Yeah, I'm picturing this now. Just affix a wall holder for the shower thingy (currently part of the bath taps setup but not wall mountable. Install a shower door along the bath. Et voila, either / or.

Spend the limited budget on the new shower ensuite (it's a bit crappy, 10 years wear too) and new tiling and fixtures, etc.

Seems to be the sensible option. And cheaper. And reversible.

Re storage, just have to work out alternatives.

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Draco wrote: »
    Not in my experience - I can't think of one apartment I viewed in the last 18 months of my apartment hunt that had only a shower.

Same I have been in developments anything from 20 years old to 5 years old and they have all had baths. It doesnt matter if they are in a ****ty development they still have a bath. Irish people always like to have a bath in their bathroom. Even through its rarely used, its still desired

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭Deenie123

If you don't see yourself moving on soon why not suit yourself and put in what YOU want?

The only thing I would say is that limiting yourselves to only 1 shower can be a pain, any decent place I've lived in has had 2 showers minimum.

If you take out the bath that you do not want and replace it with a shower that you do want and years down the line if you're having trouble selling, stick in a bath for a couple of hundred euro. Wouldn't be the biggest job ever, or the most hassle if you basically make the shower the entire area where the bath has been.

It's your home, live in it how you want to live in it, not how "Irish People" like to live in their homes.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,535 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Almost no apartments have baths. They're really only needed for kids. Two showers is overkill unless the 2nd bedroom is occupied by someone who you would not want to use the main bathroom. As the population ages, accessible showering facilities (ideally a full wet-area) in the main bathroom will become more important.

I guess it depends on who you think the target market of your apartment will be.
    Rubbish I have yet to see an apartment without one

ted1 wrote: »
    Rubbish I have yet to see an apartment without one

You're welcome to come round for a cup of tea, and inspect my bathroom!

Could be a bit more difficult to get in to look at all the other apartments I looked at when I was hunting for one a few years back, you'll just have to take my word that only one of them had a bath.

Most apartments simply don't have the space. And if you think rationally about how many times you actually have a bath, you realise it's just not worth the space.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Beaner1

It would put me off renting a place but not buying. It's hardly the biggest job in the world to put in a bath.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

in your expert opinions?
    €300 up front please. :)

You're welcome to come round for a cup of tea, and inspect my bathroom!

Could be a bit more difficult to get in to look at all the other apartments I looked at when I was hunting for one a few years back, you'll just have to take my word that only one of them had a bath.

Most apartments simply don't have the space. And if you think rationally about how many times you actually have a bath, you realise it's just not worth the space.

No apartment I have seen in Ireland has no bath. Please provide links to apartments on daft that have no baths.

If you Swap the Tea for a rum and coke I'll be over shortly,

There's only about 1 sq m between a bath and shower so its not really a space thing
    My two girls had a bath tonight so yes it gets used.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Not sure how many apartments you have been in, at this stage I've worked in high hundreds or early thousands of apartments and unless they are pokey 1 bed units, 99% of them have baths.
    They're really only needed for kids.

You would be surprised how many people like to take baths, a lot more than you might expect.
    As the population ages, accessible showering facilities (ideally a full wet-area) in the main bathroom will become more important.

Due to the way most apartments are plumbed it wouldn't be practical or advisable to instal a wet room in an apartment.
    A better solution would be to fit one of the easy access baths.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

At least half of the properties I've rented have had no bath. And I never once missed it. I personally would rather a proper walk-in shower rather than an overhead fixture in a bath. For me, baths are only useful for collecting dust bunnies.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Dust bunnies? How often do you clean the bath?? :eek:

dudara wrote: »
    At least half of the properties I've rented have had no bath. And I never once missed it. I personally would rather a proper walk-in shower rather than an overhead fixture in a bath. For me, baths are only useful for collecting dust bunnies.

Where they purpose built apartments? Can you provide a link to one in the same complex on daft

Deenie123 wrote: »
    If you don't see yourself moving on soon why not suit yourself and put in what YOU want?

The only thing I would say is that limiting yourselves to only 1 shower can be a pain, any decent place I've lived in has had 2 showers minimum.

If you take out the bath that you do not want and replace it with a shower that you do want and years down the line if you're having trouble selling, stick in a bath for a couple of hundred euro. Wouldn't be the biggest job ever, or the most hassle if you basically make the shower the entire area where the bath has been.

It's your home, live in it how you want to live in it, not how "Irish People" like to live in their homes.

This was my original way of thinking. We'll be here a few years yet. Negative equity and changed circumstances mean we probably don't have much choice for the foreseeable. However, we are very happy here, it's home and a very nice development. Just need to be tidy, hence more storage being desirable.

I had been ploughing ahead with ideas and designs and it was only when a few people said about the bath thing affecting resale, that I asked around.

And it seems to be a factor to be considered alright.

As is your point about potentially reversing it down the line.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I've only viewed one apartment that had no bath, and it was a deal breaker. I might not want a bath every time I wash but I certainly want the option. This particular property looked like it had been designed without a bath.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Little Miss Cutie

I would totally disagree with this, I don't think I have ever been in an apt that doesn't have a bath.

In my own case we bought a house without a bath but as there is only one bathroom which is tiny, the removal of the bath is actually a positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Sala

If you have no plans to move, I'd suit yourself and do it the way you want it. If you sell in 10 years they may want to remodel anyway (that's just a guess, I have no idea how long a bathroom should last or how it takes things to look really dated)

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭GaGa21

As a potential apartment buyer, I would only buy an apartment with a bath. We are currently renting one without and I really miss it! Not that I'd have one every night but it's great to have the option when you want to. We have no kids yet but if or when we do, a bath would be needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Almost no apartments have baths. .

I'd have to disagree with this. Practically every apartment (in fact I think actually every apartment) I've ever been in had a bath.
    I've toyed with the idea of getting rid of my own a few times - but you don't gain anything in return other than a half bath tub sized square of bathroom that has no real use and a big redecorating bill.

ted1 wrote: »
    No apartment I have seen in Ireland has no bath. Please provide links to apartments on daft that have no baths.

Searching on Daft for Galway City, price < 900, apartments, and looking at the first 20 listings gave these.

http://www.daft.ie/lettings/an-silin-cappagh-road-knocknacarra-galway/1505441/

http://www.daft.ie/lettings/munster-avenue-galway-city-centre-galway/1499426/
    Doesn't even have a picture of the bathroom, but from the look of the size of the rest of it, I'd say the bathroom will be tiny.

http://www.daft.ie/lettings/killeen-castlegar-galway/1501040/

http://www.daft.ie/lettings/lois-an-uisce-murrough-galway-renmore-galway/1505358/

http://www.daft.ie/lettings/woodquay-galway-city-centre-galway/1501479/

http://www.daft.ie/lettings/226-upper-salthill-salthill-galway/1502701/

http://www.daft.ie/lettings/13-a-beattystown-the-claddagh-claddagh-galway/1504863/

http://www.daft.ie/lettings/old-doughiska-road-doughiska-galway/1496976/

There were two others with no bathroom pictures, but I wouldn't hazard a guess either way with them.

So I guess I'd tone down my statement from "almost no apartments have baths" to "many apartments do not have baths".

FWIW, the house I own has a bath. I lived there for about 7 years, and probably used the bath as a bath about 1-2 times per year. Very nice on those times - but not worth the space cost, overall. And it was a right pain when I had a knee injury and was on crutches for a month.

• Advertisement

Whatever about apartments not having baths (ive seen it both ways from my experience with most modern or higher quality apartments having them and converted old building not having them) having two showers is certainly not overkill.

Even with only two people in the house it speeds up things as two people can shower at the same time etc. Also it's excellent having an ensuite shower makes like much more comfortable but if you have visitors staying over etc you don't want them having to come into your bedroom to shower etc.

Advertisement