Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS4 Nat and Ports

Options
  • 12-11-2014 12:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi guys,

Bought meself a PS4 at the weekend there.

On the Eircom EFibre F1000 modem. My PS4 is connected to the internet but I can't access PSN or game online, I'm guessing it's something to do with Nat(currently 2) and I need to forward ports.

Does anyone know how to set up the static IP and port forward on this router as I can't find a guide anywhere.

Also on my laptop(no other device) my net connection intermittently drops to 'No internet access' and I have to reconnect to get it back up. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Fran

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Pixelbastardo

I have that same router from eircom and never had to mess with post forwarding. Nat 2 should be just fine.. Are you sure its not just psn acting up ? psn is been real sh** lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Franakamura

I have that same router from eircom and never had to mess with post forwarding. Nat 2 should be just fine.. Are you sure its not just psn acting up ? psn is been real sh** lately.

Hmm yeah I suppose it could be mate but it's been like that the past couple of nights, since I bought the PSN pass on Monday.

Go to access PSN and it just sticks on the 'Please Wait' screen. also if I go into PSN Account Settings sticks on 'Please Wait'.

Suppose I could try it again tonight but I've a feeling it'll be the port forwarding that has to be done.

If it was NAT 3 you'd have a port forwarding issue. NAT 2 is fine.

Hmm yeah I suppose it could be mate but it's been like that the past couple of nights, since I bought the PSN pass on Monday.

Go to access PSN and it just sticks on the 'Please Wait' screen. also if I go into PSN Account Settings sticks on 'Please Wait'.

Suppose I could try it again tonight but I've a feeling it'll be the port forwarding that has to be done.

First thing to do it make sure your PS4 is connecting, go to PS4 Settings, then to Network and "test connection" and see what it says, see where in the link the problem is.

Karsini wrote: »
    If it was NAT 3 you'd have a port forwarding issue. NAT 2 is fine.

Whats the difference between NAT 1 and 2? I see a bit about NAT 1?

• Advertisement

First thing to do it make sure your PS4 is connecting, go to PS4 Settings, then to Network and "test connection" and see what it says, see where in the link the problem is.

All connected mate. Test connection and internet and PSN connected, good internet signal strength as well. NAT2.

Whats the difference between NAT 1 and 2? I see a bit about NAT 1?

NAT 1 means that the PS3/4 has a public IP address and no ports are closed.
    NAT 2 means that it has a private IP address but the required ports are open.
    NAT 3 means that it has a private IP address but the required ports are closed.

NAT 1 is usually only possible on bridged UPC modems or on DSL where PPPoE passthrough is supported. I don't think eFibre supports this, since it uses IPoE instead. In any case, if you're getting NAT 2 then things should be fine. Try lowering the firewall settings in the router if you're having no luck.

Karsini wrote: »
    NAT 1 means that the PS3/4 has a public IP address and no ports are closed.
    NAT 2 means that it has a private IP address but the required ports are open.
    NAT 3 means that it has a private IP address but the required ports are closed.

NAT 1 is usually only possible on bridged UPC modems or on DSL where PPPoE passthrough is supported. I don't think eFibre supports this, since it uses IPoE instead. In any case, if you're getting NAT 2 then things should be fine. Try lowering the firewall settings in the router if you're having no luck.

Done that as well mate, lowered it from medium to low. It's getting right on my breests now.

All connected mate. Test connection and internet and PSN connected, good internet signal strength as well. NAT2.

Thats strange. Have you double checked that you've entered the correct Security key(on back of the router) into the PS4 network setup ? (SSID should be good since the "test network" works through PS4 for you).

I change my security key often and when i do, my PS4 will still appear to be connected (will show friends connected as if i was signed in normally), but i wont be able to access the store(ill get that "please wait") or play online until i put the new key into the PS4.. idk man, its worth a try. And double checking you've entered the same security type your routers set to into PS4 network setup(WPA-Personal, WPA2-Personal, etc,)

Thats strange. Have you double checked that you've entered the correct Security key(on back of the router) into the PS4 network setup ? (SSID should be good since the "test network" works through PS4 for you).

I change my security key often and when i do, my PS4 will still appear to be connected (will show friends connected as if i was signed in normally), but i wont be able to access the store(ill get that "please wait") or play online until i put the new key into the PS4.. idk man, its worth a try. And double checking you've entered the same security type your routers set to into PS4 network setup(WPA-Personal, WPA2-Personal, etc,)

Yup, definitely the correct key mate. I actually have my own password set up as opposed to the back of the router one and it was my own I put in.

• Advertisement
Advertisement