Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First time landlord and clueless!

Options
  • 12-11-2014 12:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Through some difficult circumstances in life I have found myself in the position of having to rent out what was our family home. I have changed the mortgage to a buy to let on the lenders instructions and I have taken out new insurance. I am aware that I have to register with PRTB but after that I haven't a clue. I will have a look at the PRTB website to familiarise myself with my responsibilities.

I was wondering if anyone could suggest a typical contract I should use. I am afraid that if I use one I find on Google that afterwards someone will say it was rubbish.

Do I need a BER certificate?

How many sets of keys do I need to provide?

I am in the middle of redecorating and I'm nearly ready to rent it so getting a bit nervous. Any advice from experienced landlords?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Easons sell a standard rental contract that fits irish law.

Yes you need to get a BER Cert. But they arent enforced and no one asks for them. So most people dont bother with one.

Provide as many keys are they want. Its usually one set per person.

If you are redecorating only paint the walls neutral colours. So light grays, whites, cream. Any dark colours arent the best for renting as they are often no ones taste but your own

Just put the bills in the tenants name and you should be fine. Continental Europeans are the easier to let to. But they are slightly more demanding. But they are used to renting and have realistic expectations, tend to be cleaner and realise unlike Irish people, that you pay rent on time is the norm and not something you should be grateful for.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,261 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Don't leave anything to chance. If you don't want smokers, say so in the contract. No pets/children, say so. Don't leave anything to chance and don't expect anyone to use common sense. Expressly forbid behaviors you don't want.

You don't have to be a d1ck about it but in the same way a stitch in time saves 9, telling the tenants what you expect in the beginning may save serious hassle in the future.

If it's a long term deal consider making it unfurnished. Last place I rented had some furniture and a washing machine and fridge but they were not included in the contract and when they broke it was up to us to replace them and take them with us or leave them behind when we left.

My mother is taking care of a rented house for my sister who is away. The couch wasn't good enough so she arranged a couch. That one wasn't good enough either so she gave them her couch for a quiet life. LL is not an ideal job unless you are committed to it so best keep it simple.

Be upfront and best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Irishlandlord.com needs to be your bible. Study it closely. Particularly the info on income tax

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭xper

Grab a cup of coffee and read the Residential Tenancies Act 2004 at least once. It's not exactly a riveting page turner but it's mostly easy to follow. While the PRTB website and other sources have information about the rights and responsibilities of both tenants and landlords, its good to be familiar with the underlying legal basis of this business you are about to enter into. Also note that the law cares not that you may be entering this business accidentally or reluctantly. You'll be a landlord, pure and simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 phasing

Thanks for the posts and the information. Will definitely read the act as I need to become better informed. I've met with a revenue representative who kindly talked me through the tax return side of this so I'm happy enough with that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement